Author Topic: Potentially the worst U2 tour  (Read 5186 times)

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
Re: Potentially the worst U2 tour
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 01:44:30 PM »
I seem to be in a minority in having enjoyed U2 360.  Yes, it was too choreographed, but the performances were strong and I for one liked the material they chose, at least on the first leg of the tour: was great to hear Unforgettable Fire live again, for example.  Breathe was a strong opener.  Popmart was a similar big glitzy stadium show and also quite choreographed.  There was more variety to the set than on Popmart, too.  That's not to say I didn't enjoy Popmart more - I think that was arguably the most impressive U2 show I've seen in the past 30 years. 

I am feeling reasonably optimistic about the upcoming tour.  I am sure Bono will be fine on stage - it's not like he injured his legs and the tour starts well over 6 months since he had the accident.  He should be as recovered as he'll ever be by May.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 05:13:22 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I seem to be in a minority in having enjoyed U2 360.  Yes, it was too choreographed, but the performances were strong and I for one liked the material they chose, at least on the first leg of the tour: was great to hear Unforgettable Fire live again, for example.  Breathe was a strong opener.  Popmart was a similar big glitzy stadium show and also quite choreographed.  There was more variety to the set than on Popmart, too.  That's not to say I didn't enjoy Popmart more - I think that was arguably the most impressive U2 show I've seen in the past 30 years. 

I am feeling reasonably optimistic about the upcoming tour.  I am sure Bono will be fine on stage - it's not like he injured his legs and the tour starts well over 6 months since he had the accident.  He should be as recovered as he'll ever be by May.
Your not a minority, 360 was a remarkable achievement in U2's career and they sounded fabulous.
Bono's vocals were strong, Edges sound was phenomenal , Adams bass playing was some of his best so far,Larry was solid and powerful .
My only complaint was their decision to ditch NLOTH material in favor of rehashing Zoo tv  (big mistake) it paled in comparison to the 92 - 93 shows.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 05:23:50 PM by Parsons »

Offline bonovoxasthefly

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 07:45:08 PM »
Don’t worry i have my tickets to various nights but I’m starting to worry that for the first time, that I’m not as excited as I should be.  My reasons are as follows:

Ticket Prices:  They are too high for real fans.  I have paid high prices on previous tours but this only seems to put me in areas of the crowd that are there for the crowd pleasing big hits and think its OK to talk through the slightly less well known ones.
Cheap tickets – will not be worth it as they are high in the arena and standing is not recommended e.g 02 London.
New Album – Has no hits, its beautiful but is quite dull after a few plays, I have started to flick through it on my Ipod, I don’t think the majority of it will last the tour just like the last album
Set List – It will be the same as always, 7 new songs if we are lucky and the same set of old rotated classics depending on the night, nothing rare and impromptu.  The 2nd night may well very quickly turn into a greatest hits  night, just to fill the venue.
Bono – Surely cant be 100% for this tour and may well prefer a stool for the acoustic set – Cant wait for how restless and impatient the crowd will become
Ticket Sales – Reports of empty blocks will not help the atmosphere either

Please can you help me get excited again

I do agree with some of your points but you can also use some to your advantage. There are a lot of tickets on the secondary market and since the demand isn't as high as previous tours, ticket prices will continue to drop. I still want to believe that a lot of casual fans don't know they're going on tour due to the lack of promotion. The album itself definitely has some hit songs, just depends on what your taste is. I can picture every breaking wave and a surprise song like Iris becoming some of the highlights for the tour. You can count on the hits being played but with dual shows there's a lot of room for some rarities to surface. Bono's health is concerning, but his vocal chords didn't get damaged. Given the injuries, Bono was the best of the 4 to go through this cycling accident. Last but not least it's U2!!! the best rock n roll live act to ever perform.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 12:49:45 AM »
When the band walks out in San Jose 5/18 and strikes those first chords, tears will flow.

When the intro to "Where The Streets Have No Name" leaks out, you will all be puddles and combust.

When "A Sort of Homecoming" chimes through the arena, you will ask yourselves, "is this really happening?". Yes it is.

I. Cannot. F***ing. Wait. 7 California shows, 4 of them in gen adm, I am so lucky.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 01:05:37 AM by JaraSangASongAWeapon »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2015, 01:13:13 AM »
I think that the 360° Tour was fine, but I agree that the stage was a bit too much. It sucked away the life of many songs, and instead of bring the band closer to the fans, like the supposed intention was, I think the result was the opposite. It was the first tour in which the band seemed distant and detached. Another interesting thing I've noticed is that when I want to hear some live songs, I never listen to the 360° versions. I don't like that much the way Bono sings them, neither Edge's guitar tones (for example: I find Streets of U22 terrible).

I felt the stage dwarfed the band too, well not so much the stage but the whole monstrosity it sat under......the band looked like insects under it. It also rarely seemed to actually work as it was meant to, from what I saw it was more often than not stuck at one end of the stadium anyway and rarely if ever had standing fans all around it.....I think somebody on here named it 270, which was quite apt....

As you know I really didn't like behind or bomb as albums, but couldn't fault the shows I saw on those tours, the band were strong and the shows good.....I just can't say the same for 360, I found it disappointing, poorly executed, lacking in the kind of feel that makes great shows (not just u2 shows any shows) and the band performances flat, short of fire and passion and more than a little lazy.

Those shows I saw and what I watched on youtube etc are the reason that this upcoming tour is the first U2 tour since 93 that I have only bought tickets for for one show......

All that said I do think the move indoors will re-energise the band and I think the shows will be better.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2015, 04:14:00 AM »

Your not a minority, 360 was a remarkable achievement in U2's career and they sounded fabulous.
Bono's vocals were strong, Edges sound was phenomenal , Adams bass playing was some of his best so far,Larry was solid and powerful .
My only complaint was their decision to ditch NLOTH material in favor of rehashing Zoo tv  (big mistake) it paled in comparison to the 92 - 93 shows.
I also enjoyed 360 tour myself and got to see it before and after they ditched the NLOTH songs, so I go the best of both worlds.

Offline Jswallow

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2015, 08:45:01 AM »
I was in the inner claw for 5 different shows & for me it wasnt dissapointing at all. The band & fans were loving it !! I could also see the screans clearly highlight was Unknown Caller they should not of dropped that song,, I for one am glad next tour is gonna be 360 again everyone will have a good view in Arenas ,, Roll on O2 London !!

Offline clydefrog

• Stateless
  • I'm ready to say I'm glad to be alive
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2015, 10:13:09 AM »
Well if you know anything about U2 then you know they are at the forefront of entertainment so they will always try to outdo themselves from the previous tour. No one has to tell me anything about the stage design to know that it's going to be second to none. I just know that U2 will have the best stage design. This is the best live act in the world folks. The fact that their music improves in a live setting along with all the eye candy to feast on just adds to the experience. Going to a U2 show is a priceless endeavor! When people started complaining about ticket prices I was shocked. Do you not realize what you're buying?!?! You are buying a memory that will last your entire life. Some people are addicted to going on cruises. I'm addicted to going to U2 shows. I've never done drugs in my life and going to a U2 show gets me high every time and not from the second hand smoke but from the atmosphere. It is a religious event and I'm a non-believer! It is the one time in your life where you can spend a bunch of money and have no regrets afterwards. Hell you even welcome over-drawing your bank account because you can say well I just experienced one of the coolest things this life has to offer: a U2 concert.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 10:15:30 AM by clydefrog »

Offline clydefrog

• Stateless
  • I'm ready to say I'm glad to be alive
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2015, 10:16:45 AM »
To the people that are complaining about the prices I really only have one thing to say to them: it is worth every single penny. If you see tickets....BUY THEM!! This opportunity may never come again!

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
Agree that it was more like U2 270 than 360, and yes the stage was large, but at least the big screens meant people at the back could see something of what was going on and got a visual as well as an audio experience.  That said, it was pretty similar to watching the show on the TV at the back.  However, if you remember the Joshua Tree tour when they were being purist about it being “all about the music filling the space” there were no video screens so all you saw were the backs of people’s heads or ants on the stage if you weren’t near the front.  From seeing dots in the distance to watching huge TV screens - progress?  Maybe music wasn’t made for stadiums…

I certainly enjoyed U2 270/360 on the first leg of the tour when I had a standing ticket.  It was an ambitious and imaginative production and they played and sang the songs well.  And even the later legs which I didn't see sounded great from the recordings.  Scarlet, for example, was atmospheric and beautiful.