Author Topic: Going to Boston on july 10 and 11, need info  (Read 1859 times)

Offline U2fanIceland

• Babyface
Going to Boston on july 10 and 11, need info
« on: February 19, 2015, 07:07:50 PM »
Hello, I will be going to see U2 on july 10 and 11 in Boston and it will both be my very first U2 shows and also my first time going to the US so I'm very excited of course but because of that I'm also a bit lost and need a little help. I've not booked my flights or the hotel yet, I will be doing so very soon, but I was wondering if anyone here, maybe someone who happens to live in Boston, could recommend a good hotel for me. I'm looking for a nice good hotel, preferebly nothing under 4 stars and it would be great if it's not too far from TD Garden.

And how early should I be arriving in Boston, would july 9 be ok or should I come on july 8? I really want to be able to have plenty of time to get in line on the day of the first show on july 10 and it's better to arrive at least 2 days before, right? As it's also my first time in Boston (and the whole US actually) I want to take a couple of days around the conert weekend to relax. go shopping and stuff like that and if I arrive on july 9 I might stay for a day or two past the weekend instead.

Offline U2fanIceland

• Babyface
Re: Going to Boston on july 10 and 11, need info
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 05:00:59 PM »
Anyone? I really ned some help planning my trip, I will be traveling alone and I've never been to the US. I only need some good suggestions for a hotel somewhere near TD Garden and whether I should arrive 2 days or 1 day before the show. How about The Boxer hotel? Anyone else here going to Boston too and looking at hotels? I wouldn't mind staying at the same hotel as fellow fans :)

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 07:59:29 PM »
The Boxer looks like a good hotel. All of the good hotels in Boston are very expensive. I am staying near there at the Onyx. Both seem like good hotels per Trip Advisor.  There will be many fans at the hotels in the area. Belly up to the bar ( coffee or beer) and wear a U2 shirt, and friendships should blossom.There are a ton of bars and 'beer halls' in the area. I am sure most drinking/food establishments will be full of U2 fans during the week.

The days to visit the city stuff depends on what you want to do? Museums, shopping, baseball games and so forth. The 12th is Sunday, but most everything is open on that day in Boston. There is a lot of early history for our country in Boston ( though, it will be my first trip to Boston; my dad was born there).

Arriving a day or two before sounds good. I look at different dates on flights to save money. I think I heard Tuesday's and Wednesday's are usually cheaper- but not always.

I am very excited to go to Boston. A lot of Irish history in the town- that should add to the U2 synergy. The Boston Red Sox are playing the New York Yankees that weekend. Sunday is a day game in the famous Fenway Park ( heard many stories from my dad about Fenway). Those teams are the biggest rivalry in baseball and all is sports in the U.S.A..

These shows will be amazing. I'll be the guy with a big smile on my face!

Offline Basskid

• Staring at the Sun
  • Even the hands of love...
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 10:21:55 AM »
The Onyx is the best hotel option i think!  Thats where i always stay for concerts.  It is literally just across the street from the garden too.  Also the garden doesn't normally allow people to line up all day for GA.  They use a system where you go in the morning and get a wrist band first come first served style with a number on it.  You can then go and enjoy your day (visit some sights around Boston!) and come back at around 5 i think and line up in your wristband order.  This system worked really well for Muse a couple years ago!  Restaurant recommendations are anything in the North End for perfect Italian food!   

Offline peggy2ten

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 10:54:47 AM »
I'm also flying in for the shows on the 10th and 11th and staying at the Onyx as well.  We stayed here in 2005 for one Vertigo show - very convenient and lots of U2 fans.  And to echo others, the Garden does the best GA line I've ever encountered.  Show up early, get a number, leave and enjoy the sights in Boston, return about 4:30 and get in line. 

I wouldn't wait too long to make a reservation.  Hotels are filling up fast and they've raised prices for this weekend. Between U2 and the Yankees coming to town, I guess there will be lots of out of town guests.   U2 aren't playing anywhere near where I live (in the south).  If I knew hotel prices were going to be so ridiculously high, might have decided to travel to another city instead, but U2 will be fabulous in Boston.

hrsan

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 12:20:10 PM »
I don't live in Boston, but have been there a few times.  It's a great city.   Public transportation is very easy to figure out.  Great restaurants, and the overall vibe of the city is wonderful.  Enjoy the trip and enjoy the show(s).

Offline Basskid

• Staring at the Sun
  • Even the hands of love...
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 01:45:28 PM »
And the insane amount of snow that we have right now should be (hopefully) gone by then!

Offline redsox04

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 06:38:32 PM »
Boston is a very walk-able city, so don't feel pressured to stay immediately near the TD Garden.  The Back Bay, Beacon Hill, and North End are nice downtown neighborhoods and a short walk to the arena. 

Hotels are very expensive throughout Boston, particularly in the summer.  A few have mentioned the Boxer, which is a nice property but the rooms are small.   If you feel like splurging, check out the Liberty Hotel in Beacon Hill; it's the old city jail that has been converted into a modern hotel, definitely 4+ stars, less than a 10 minute walk to the concert.   

Offline weinerdog

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 09:50:04 PM »
I can't believe how expensive hotels are for the weekend of this show. If many here can afford $300-$400/night more power to you.

Offline U2fanIceland

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 09:43:51 AM »
Thank you all for very informative responses :) I will hopefully book my flight and hotel tonight, I've been putting it off for a while now mostly because I haven't been able to decide wether to stay from july 8 to july 12, july 8 to july 13 or july 9 to july 13 :P I want to be able to explore Boston and go shopping so I think it's best to have a couple of extra days bu I also don't want to stay for too long, especially because it's so expensive. I'm thinking that july 9 to july 13 will be the best choice, I had been thinking of arriving on july 8 mostly because I wanted to arrive early enough so that I could get in line in time wether the line would start to form a couple of hours or 24 hours before the show but if there will be no mass queueing going on then I think I'll be safe enough by arriving on the 9th ;)

Offline U2fanIceland

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 10:28:26 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This option maybe ?
HI Boston:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Private rooms and dorms.
About 1 km from TD Garden.
Safe.

Thanks for the help but as I mentioned in my first post that I'm only looking for a hotel to stay at and preferebly nothing under 4 stars. I've just mostly been contemplating wether I should arrive on july 8 or july 9 and I think I'm going to choose the 9th. And I've chosen to stay at the Hilton Boston Logan Airport hotel. Hopefully I won't change my mind later tonight when I will finally book everything ::)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »
There are also Facebook U2fan pages to check out. Chicago has some active meet up groups, so hopefully Boston does as well.

Hampton Inn Cambridge/Boston 1 mile from TD Garden (straight walk it seems by Google maps) is a GREAT deal if you are a Hilton Honors member - 2 queen beds non smoking, free parking, wifi, breakfast $223 night, all inclusive $255 night. Just booked it for the 13-15th.  :)

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 07:49:14 PM by mdmomof7 »