Author Topic: Bono to (allegedly) attend Selma event  (Read 3342 times)

Offline J_Rock321

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Hiiipower
Bono to (allegedly) attend Selma event
« on: March 04, 2015, 07:35:20 AM »
This came across my Twitter feed so I thought I'll share

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:36:32 AM by J_Rock321 »

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
Re: Bono to (allegedly) attend Selma event
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 09:02:37 AM »
In his A to Z, he said he was cancelling all public appearances for the next four months. This is during that time period!

I just want him to stay home and get better.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 09:05:49 AM »
In his A to Z, he said he was cancelling all public appearances for the next four months. This is during that time period!

I just want him to stay home and get better.

Me too, but I'm sure he'd love to be there. ♥

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 12:55:40 PM »
I'm sure deep in his heart, if he felt he were free, Bono would love to be there, but the 21st Century Bono would not perform there even if he was well. The 20th century Bono would have accepted in a heartbeat, but the 21st century Bono is nothing if not fair and balanced. He is not free now. (ask yourself what I mean when I say he is "not free." Hopefully, he has come to find this new "lack of freedom" too constricting.)
He'd be too afraid of offending both his Republican and 1%-er friends--the Davos crowd.  At the very least, he'd be too afraid he'd shoot his mouth off and say something Dangerous. He doesn't do politics anymore, except when he preaches that The Market solves all things.

What's that, you say? When has he ever said that "the Market solves all things"? Well, he hasn't uttered this in so many words, but he has preached a lot about the power of Business and suchlike. Compare his methods of philanthropy in the early 00's to the 2nd half of the decade. And compare U2's music as the decade went on.

What does this have to do with the Selma event? Let me explain.
I've been thinking a lot about these things, ever since I read Naomi Klein's fantastic book "This Changes Everything." A worthy follow-up to her classic "The Shock Doctrine." I was particularily struck by her chapters in which she describes how the Green Groups  equivalent of Project (RED) destroyed the modern environmental movement, and why disillusioned young people are turning away from that merchantile model and support of traditional mainstream Big Green organizations and instead engaging in direct action globally to get things done. I have experienced this myself directly in the successful fight to ban fracking in NY State.  We engaged in direct action throughout the state for years. We followed the DATA model, not the Project (Red) 'let's go shopping" model, that took heat off those who made the laws. And we won (at least for now.)

When I finished that book sometime in early January, the first thing I did was go back and re-watch the Times Square event from Dec. Of course,  the first times I watched it, it was all about the music, the performers, what they chose to perform and getting used to the surreal spectacle of Bono not being there. On that scale, the concert was a lucky success. But this time I saw other things. More important things. Like how every currently hated or controversial political figure or organization that was able to, descended on a U2 event in which they knew their Mascot wasn't even going to be there, like a pack of starving wolves upon a lone wanderer in a forest. Somehow, they knew it was important to let the public know about the Big People and how much good they're doing. Bank of America,  Mayor De Blasio, The NYPD were all cited, BofA had a smart motherly-looking rep there, (was it the Prez of BofA? I think so) even Clinton dropped by to give us all the first official plug for Hillary 2016. What's that, you say? He's Bono's best pal, and responded to an invitation? Well, I'm sure Bill genuinely responded b/c he wanted the event to be a success, and he's concerned about his friend too...but Bono didn't give Bill permission to use a U2 event for open political soliciting. (Go back and rewatch Bill's speech. He didn't exactly say "My wife is running for Prez in 2 yrs" but what he did say was as good as if he'd said it. ) Yeah, B: I hope you were disturbed. I sure as hell was. The very first time Bill dropped in on a radio show and interviewed U2 in '92,  I taped it, and I never forgot the way Bill talked down to Bono as if he were just another babe with milk dribbling down his chin, like he speaks to all the other lumpen proles.  The tone in Clinton's voice, the inflection, it angered me.
And how Bono put him in his place with that  unforgettable "and you can call me Betty." And Bill knew Bono knew. And I'm sure Bill repected Bono much more b/c he knew Bono knew what he was trying to do. Yes, Bono: eyes (and ears) like laser lights. You knew so much more then.

And why did we need to know about the "230,000 employees" of BofA, instead of the Prez of BofA just saying "BofA"? Why did BofA need sympathy huh? Hm. Talk to Occupy about that one.
Watching that show with new eyes, I was disgusted, and glad Bono was not there. You could just sense these organizations' relief--"it's been a long, cold 5 yrs out there in the wilderness, fighting for our public image even as we commit global atrocities, and yay! Here's U2 come along to polish our global rep again, just in the nick of time! Take that, Occupy and its offshoots! Take that, Green groups and everyone fighting the World Bank, IMF. big banks et al who are destroying the planet and the poor and middle class who live on it! ! We've got Bono  on our side!"

It was a God-d****ed feeding frenzy, and no wonder Kanye looked like he didn't want to be there.

Is this what U2 are about? Is this what is important to them? Defending these people? Remember, (as Bono does not) that "facts are fiction and TV is reality." It sure is true in all the Western world now.

I'm on a public computer this time, so hoping the site won't time out on me if I take too long to post. And this is going to be long. So everyone, there's another post coming, don't flame me yet.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:22:47 PM by Mary C »

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 01:32:16 PM »
This is a very strange time to be a U2 fan, and very frustrating. It's a weird shcizophrenic world in which you think  there are deep problems with U2 that you feel the band need to address if they are to continue to make great music and have a career that lasts longer than others in their position; and yet, every time you see the band roasted in the media you get angry and feel this knee-jerk need to defend them b/c you know they're all just haters and you're not, you know that all the hate for U2 is unwarranted and all the criticism in the media is for all the wrong reasons, and the reasons they give are hogwash.  Plus the band really deserve sympathy and Bono in particular doesn't need negativity as he recovers from his injury. The band need a nurturing  and supportive environment from fans, and we as a U2 family have to "carry each other" as the song says. Many people might flame me for even writing something like this after seeing the pics from Rev. Heaslip's funeral.

But you can't bury these issues under the rug forever, they're going to come up eventually, so if articles start slinging rumors around that Bono's going to attend a 'political' event, let me rant about 'politics'! And this is a "tough love" rant! Here goes....

*pounds fist in frustration* is there any way to engage in helpful constructive criticism of the band while being appropriately supportive? We are the "U2 family" after all. If this were a houseold, now would not be the time; but I'm only a stranger on the Net. (and I'd give my name if I could, B. :))
What to do?

So...here goes. Here IMO  is what  the heart of the problem is with the band. I was talking about political tameness in the previous post. Here's the problem in a nutshell: Politically safe Bono. Musically safe band. Wishy-washy U2, musically and lyrically. One leads to the other these days. It's an attitude, and it's now a way of being. Cue identity crisis, and accompanying "writers' block." Only it isn't block. It's a self-enforced cage, and it won't be easy for Bono to break free of it.
And yes, I think he's a large part of the problem.

Back in the day, when Bono began what I'll call his charity work (though it didn't start out that way, thankfully) I wondered how long he could continue his day job and the band just go along doing their thing with him drifting in and out. It depended on what he was doing and how he was doing it. The "how" makes all the difference--not the what.

I've been thinking about this ever since Isaiah 61 came up. Look up Isaiah 61 :1-3 . In many ways that IS what U2 are all about. It might have took them until War to get there, but that's what their music is all about I remember a Dylan quote that was cited in the '87 TIME cover article: that all music is either death music or healing music. And we know which one U2 are!  Whatever they have written in all eras, their successful music has been about this kind of healing. It's that deep unfathomable emotional something that drove people to travel from all over the world to Windmill Lane in the 80's before it became fashionable to go there just to go there. It's really why we all stick around, in spite of everything: we hope that lightening will strike aqain. And while the band have never until now openly espoused any politician or political leaning, they used to be drawn to the global Scene, any political event or bit of historical event that captured the Zeitgeist ther it was Bono going to El Salvador or looking at Hiroshima paintings or the aftermath of the Berlin Wall coming down, or wanting to go to Bosnia in spite of any danger (as cited in Flanagan's book) or even that portentious behind-the-scenes-trip to Etheopia in 1985, the band and Bono in particular was drawn to scenes of people coping with, overcoming, and triumphing over, suffering. These personal experiences, brought about so often by the band hanging out with ordinary poets, painters, musicians and NGO figures or crusades for justice, drove the emotional fire behind the music and reinforced their commitment towards that "healing" attitude. (even if they expressed it with a dance beat or dark lyrics--it was all part of the same worldview.)
Most importantly, as the band went to these places capturing the zeitgeist of the moment, it grounded U2 albums in a physical place, which is important for them as it isn't for many other acts, since they wanted to get out of Ireland musically early on. If they could not go back to their home country, they needed to adopt a place with each album or era, and we have have not had one for a while. Why is this?

This was the same attitude that Bono had in the early 2000's, when he began his Africa work. Then, he was able to dance a fine line between hanging out with those in positions of global power and influence who sought U2 out b/c of their good rep, and pleasing those who had their worldview. He was The Fly for real, the "pest", stil on the outside to some extent. Theoretically he could go from meeting Sachs or Bush or members of Congress to hanging with Kanye or poets or whoever, ordinary people, b/c they knew he still had that worldview. He still thought as an outsider, and as such, could still channel the attitude of someone "fighting for Justice" with music. But the more time he spent with the 1%, he allowed himself at some point to be swayed by their ways of thinking, he began to think like them, and when you begin to think like them, you begin to talk like them, and criticize those who complain about you getting too close to those who are causing so much of the suffering in the world today. Why can't U2 do what they did in the past, and successfully marry the politics of compassion with a musical sound that captures the zeigest of the moment (relevance)?  B/c the zeitgeist of the moment is anti-capitalist, that is the big political issue right now. The fight against the 1%, and it's kind of hard to talk about the things concerning young people today if you're afraid of offending your close buddy Rupert Murdoch (see the book about the making of the Spider-Man musical, this is documented fact.) And your other buddies in the 1% who you stupidly have allowed yourself to be seen with on camera. And it might be a bit hard to do what you always did and meet with those poets and ;painters etc who are on the street side of the fight....

Having lunch with the Devil to save one life? Fine, if all you want to do is save that life. But you have a day job too, and that day job doesn't run itself. Sooner or later the music is gonna catch up....and that day job is your meal ticket. Not having the 1% on your phone. if you're still The Fly, balancing that balance, it's possible..but proximity in such measure is dangerous. (it's like putting on the Ring. In the book version of LOTR, Sam puts on the Ring and almost gives into the temptation to use it; he wants to wave his hand and turn Mordor into a green land, but he realizes it is not for him to use it; he does not knoe how such Power will affect him and  he doesn't know if it will be a garden or a garden swollen to the size of a realm.)

So instead of doing things like traveling around the world meeting with local muscians poets or museum directors or crusaders for justice, (recently you've come to realize how Boring these people are, it's been much more fun and intoxicating to hang out with the REAL global "movers and shakers", you Love your newfound proximity to Power; so much for speaking truth to it! )you hang out in your compound in France and realize how you've kinda painted yourself into a corner , you have nothing to talk about now b/c you can't just talk about such things anymore, you're too close to the Other Side. It has nothing to do with money or how rich you are, understand. You had a fortune for a coupla decades but you had no problem with that, and neither did fans. Hopefully fans still don't. (this one doesn't.) It didn't influence your musical output b/c it was just a tinny background noise you could switch off at will. , it didn't affect your attitude or worldview.

You could have snuck into anywhere you wanted and you'd still be Bono. But now you can't switch the background noise off anymore. The Other Side has become a prison, and it's not easy to quit that club. Esp if you're still clinging to the belief that you're using them and they're not using you.
But your personal chumminess with the 1% Has changed your worldview, B, and that strikes at the very heart of what U2 are about. You lunch with Money, so now it Has changed you. You're not supposed to think like them, you're not supposed to become detatched. And this has affected everything. Bruce had it right when he said "as an artist, I learn to keep a healthy  distance."

Maybe you kinda sorta realize the truth of this, how you've begun to lie to yourself in thinking "The Market" (the 1%, or Money ) is the answer to all things, and now you're tryng to go back and recapture that feeling of being on The Outside...trying to turn back the clock with SOI, and start literally anew. But it isn't time or place, Bono....b/c you've got the President of BofA on the phone, and she's eager to use your show to trot out her poltical buddies and repair their public image with your mug next to hers. 

what's that lyric, Bono: "new heart is what I need..oh God, make it bleed."

What's that? How can you even say such a thing? When did I stop caring or change my attitude? Well, you sure  haven't, I know that, you're still Bono, and U2 are still U2. But it's kinda hard to convey that attitude with your pic taken next to  these people, or when you talk like them.  What
s that saying the Chinese have about pictures and words. You've forgotten that bit of belief the Irish have in symbolism. When you drag Rupert Murdoch to the backstage of the Broadway play you're helping to write....or do other public stunts...what does that say. It may save a life, but what direction does it portend for U2? Symbols used to be very important for U2 too. Esp on the stage. And you bever used to give a damn what people thought. When did you become so NOT pi**ed-off? It's possible to be filthy rich and pi**ed-off. U2 have miraculously balanced that fact since, oh, 1992 or so. But now?  when mingling with the Davos crowd?  (and thank God Jordan's doing it right.)

Not so much anymore.

Now I'm waiting for people to being up songs like LAPOE, and that's fine, but that's an exception rather than the rule. I', talkjng about why I thought Bono had "writer's block." And why they've seemingly  run out of stuff to say. Feel free to submit your own version! Or disagree with me when I posit that in siding with the 1%, U2 have chosen a political side for first time in their career and how this is crippling the artistic direction of U2!
Or why "Inside vs. The Outside" should be an issue!

Oh boy, are people going to flame me for this...what I want to make clear in conclusion is this: I do NOT want Bono to stop "saving the world"! What I want is for him to go back to the DATA method and less the (RED)! Where the heat and the onus is on THEM, the responsibility is on THEY who make the laws, not just us. Shopping is NOT rh answer people!

It's killing U2 in many subtle ways, ways I never used to feel were important! But they are.

EDIT: and don't think I let anyone else off the hook. The artists the music industry signs today are part of the problem. almost NOBODY seems to be PO'd , really PO'd. Nobody in the US anyway. If they are they're hiding too. Look at the list of artists wanting  to go to Selma. See anyone major? As political events go, Selma should be safe. So why is Gaga so far the only major one?

This is why the Grammys have become boring.  There's a HUGE disconnect between the world out there and what our musical superstars say. A group of thugs on finance are holding American  democracy hostage, it has a gun to tit shead, and where are the "relavant" songs? This is a democratic crisis not seen since the 30's. Who's our Woody Guthrie?

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 02:53:12 PM by Mary C »

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 03:31:21 PM »
Seems like you have it all figured out, Mary C.

What else haven't you told us?

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 03:49:53 PM »
You lost me at "I'm sure deep in his heart."

Offline J_Rock321

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Hiiipower
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 04:11:53 PM »
You do know Bono well, I wonder what bono ate December 12, 1990  ::)

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 05:07:21 PM »
I'm confused...... Sorry.

Anyways. I hope Bono continues to stay out of the public eye and just gets better.

Offline u2CanHappenToAnyone

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 05:48:01 PM »
You lost me at "I'm sure deep in his heart."

Me too.

Sorry Mary C, I appreciate you gave this a lot of thought, but your argument assumes facts not in evidence. You prefer Bono in sackcloth and ashes? Not me. I'll take his good works as a 1%-er over any armchair activist any day.

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 06:32:23 PM »
I tuned out after the "lack of freedom." Good Lord, it's painful to read leftist doctoral thesis that masquerade as forum postings.

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 06:34:24 PM »
I was going to reply to the mini-novels, but I think I'll just shake my head and move on.

On the actual topic, I agree that I hope Bono is taking the time to heal and I think he must be feeling a bit better, because he was spotted at the Noel Gallagher show tonight in Dublin. 

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 07:01:17 PM »
I was going to reply to the mini-novels, but I think I'll just shake my head and move on.

On the actual topic, I agree that I hope Bono is taking the time to heal and I think he must be feeling a bit better, because he was spotted at the Noel Gallagher show tonight in Dublin.

Now that is good news.

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 07:27:11 PM »
Bono, Edge and Guggi were there drinking beverages.

Offline connemarawithin

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2015, 07:55:39 PM »
She's writing from the heart. Agree or disagree, but from my perspective she's got a line on the majority of you.