Author Topic: 8 shows in N.Y... (MSG) ?? !  (Read 929 times)

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
  • Everything you know is wrong
8 shows in N.Y... (MSG) ?? !
« on: March 15, 2015, 04:13:54 PM »
Eeeeh, well...with the announcement of 8th show added in New York's  MSG, feed back you get from most of the musicians in the past ... like Lars ( of Metallica) or many others... said he hated to play Chicago United Center,N.Y (or any other venues) even 2 x in row..getting stale...For some reason I can just see Mr.Larry Mullen Jr. year from now coming out and say playing New York 8 times in row-was a dumb a** idea..

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
Re: 8 shows in N.Y... (MSG) ?? !
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:26:12 PM »
Perhaps.  Dare I make the comparison with other artists setting up residency in a particular city (Las Vegas)?

With that said, most of the tickets have been sold for all 8.  The only ones left are the pricey ones in the corners.

Offline Tuolumne

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 11:03:21 AM »
Damned if they do, damned if they don't.   

If they played two shows in NYC, people would be outraged they 'hated' their fans.  They play 8 shows and now they're a Las Vegas lounge act.  NYC and LA are two of the biggest epicenters of U2 fans, and the fact they are mostly sold out proves it. 

Offline stigman

• Party Girl/Boy
  • live is where we live
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 11:06:11 AM »
Who cares what lars says

Offline u2CanHappenToAnyone

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 12:18:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Who cares what lars says

+1
LOL. I was wondering if Lars was really the appropriate 'benchmark' for this sort of opinion.

Offline JHook

• Numb
  • Your voice was all I heard.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 12:25:49 PM »
I don't know, but I live in NY and I'm going to two of these shows, so I'm pretty thrilled. If the band gets bored they can find me and tell me all about it. :)

Offline daviddevaul

• Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 11:22:00 AM »
8 shows ought to translate to lots of variety.

Ought to.

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 08:04:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Damned if they do, damned if they don't.   

If they played two shows in NYC, people would be outraged they 'hated' their fans.  They play 8 shows and now they're a Las Vegas lounge act.  NYC and LA are two of the biggest epicenters of U2 fans, and the fact they are mostly sold out proves it. 

Another, perhaps more fair way to look at it is 8 MSG shows x 20,000 per night = 160,000 people
MetLife Stadium in the Meadowlands seats 82,000, so this is the equivalent of 2 shows at MetLife

Since there are no shows from DC south, we are driving up to see them one of those nights.  I'd much rather see them in an arena, so you will get no real complaints from me.

My other guess is that they are at a stage in their career where they would rather not be in a different hotel every night.  Some of them own houses in NYC, so why not set up a short residency there?