Author Topic: First Timers  (Read 1336 times)

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
First Timers
« on: March 16, 2015, 01:32:29 PM »
Will this tour be your first U2 live experience?  If so, what are you most looking forward to?

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
Re: First Timers
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 10:46:36 AM »
No, it will be my 6th, but it will be the first U2 show for my youngest (14) and only the second show for my oldest 2 kids (17 and 20).

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 11:22:35 AM »
It will be only my second tour and third through 9th shows, hopefully more to come.  :)

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • To tell the truth, this could be the last time
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 11:25:04 AM »
3rd and 4th time. first in arena  ;D

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 11:26:51 AM »
First time! I'm mainly just excited to see them live as I'm sure it's an amazing experience. My knowledge of U2 live has mainly come from concert videos so it will be great to actually see them in the flesh!

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 11:28:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
3rd and 4th time. first in arena  ;D
Same here since my first shows were 360.

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 01:59:27 PM »
It'll be the first time.
I'm so much looking forward to seeing them live!

Offline rlabs19

• Refugee
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 03:09:13 PM »
First night at MSG will be my first U2 experience. I also have tickets to the last night (July 31) and am hoping to pick up tickets for two more shows.

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 05:10:51 PM »
My kids (20 & 16) will be seeing their 2nd show but I convinced my g/f to bring her two daughters (20 & 15) along to Toronto1.  One could care less, has heard some U2 songs and the other is looking forward to it b/c it's a concert. She mainly goes to country shows but she did really like Kings of Leon when we dragged her along a few years back.  It'll be interesting to get their reaction after the show.  I'll report back if I remember.

Offline daviddevaul

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 08:27:58 PM »
Attempting to take both a sibling and a parent to their first shows this tour.  Took my youngest brother to 360 (was also his first stadium rock show) and he was beyond impressed.

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2015, 03:02:18 PM »
After the 7 California shows on this coming tour, total will be 47. San Jose night 2 will be my younger brother's first U2 show, I'm taking him.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2015, 03:08:07 PM »
It will be only my second tour and third through 9th shows, hopefully more to come.  :)

7 shows?!?  Damn, this is gonna be a good 2015 for you mom!

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 03:23:15 PM »

7 shows?!?  Damn, this is gonna be a good 2015 for you mom!

It is! HOORAY!!  ;D

I'm making up for years of no concert attending! Everything changed when I finally saw U2 live for the first time on 360! Everything! It's going to be hectic & crazy too! :) Showtime starts next month - Stevie Wonder April 9, Kodaline April 23, maybe The Wombats, Manic Street Preachers and Widespread Panic in there too. Then May is Halestorm w/ The Pretty Reckless and maybe The Replacements and Kaiser Chiefs.

And I'm awaiting info on The Rolling Stones tour. Did I miss that this week? They've been on the bucket list forever!! Pittsburgh?! :)

June starts U2!!!!!!!! And, before U2, I have my first time seeing Noel Gallagher & The High Flying Birds on June 4th and Royal Blood on the 10th!! LOVE both their albums!! Aaahhh!

Don't know why all my favorites are hitting at once, but I know my very favorite is definite! Wouldn't miss it EVER AGAIN!!

U2 is touring!! Aaaahhh!!

Jara - that's going to be so much fun taking your brother for the first time! :) You too, David!!! :)

Offline barbiemom4

• Wanderer
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2015, 10:02:08 PM »
This is going to be my first ever time seeing u2,im so excited,never done ga though,a little nervous,as i dont know what to expect,i am in my 40s and short.i want to get as close as i can because i dont think i will be able to see if i dont.Advice anyone?

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2015, 11:18:06 PM »
I too am in my 40's & short, & I LOVE GA!

It can be tough, no doubt, particularly if you're short. If you're very short, you really will want a rail spot (against the barriers), to get a better view & to have something to hold on to. To get a good rail spot you'll need to wait in line a long time, so it will be a long day. But it's so worth it!

Advice, some relevant to scoring a good spot, plus other general GA advice:
- Study the layout of the arena. Where will the entrance for GA be (this is probably written on your ticket)? Is this where the GA line will form? This step isn't quite so critical for arenas, as stadiums are much bigger, & can take an eternity to walk around.
- Study the layout of the stage once it's known (which may not be until after the opening show in Vancouver). Know where you want to be, & how to get there once you enter the arena (it can be disorientating entering the arena, will you enter the arena from the opposite end to the stage, from the sides, behind the stage).
- If you're unfit, try to get a bit more fit. You don't want people flying passed you towards the stage, while you're huffing & puffing along. Also, it's a long day, & the show can be hard work, jumping around like a lunatic in the masses.
One the day,
- If you are aiming for a rail spot, determine where you are in line. Depending on the stage layout, if you want a rail spot on the front of stage you'll probably have to be in the first 50 people? If they have a b-stage you may have to be in the first 100-200 people? If there's a long catwalk or an ellipse you may have to be in the first few hundred? There may be a rail behind Red Zone, which may give you a good view, without having to be there so early (depending on the stage layout). Modify your plans once you know where you are in the line (if you're a few hundred people back, don't rush for front of stage, aim for the b-stage/catwalk/RZ rails).
- Wear your running shoes! They usually don't let you run to the stage anymore, but you want to be doing a pretty good power walk! So you'll want comfortable shoes for the fast walk, & particularly for the show, as you'll be jumping around for a couple of hours.
- Dress for the weather on the day, as it's a long day. But know that it will be warm inside the arena in GA. So for colder days I wear cargo pants with legs that can be zipped off. If it's raining I take a cheap umbrella that can be left at the trash at the entrance to the arena.
- Hydration is important! Particularly if it's a hot day, & it will be hot in GA in any case! So drink lots of water, & I wouldn't recommend drinking lots of alcohol, I don't drink any for the show. But when you drink is just as important! You don't want to get a prime position, up front against the stage, only to have to leave it to go to the bathroom. You'll struggle to leave a spot at the front of GA, & you have zero chance of getting back to that spot (and no peeing in bottles - it does happen). So I drink tonnes of water on the morning of the show (& on the night before the show), & nothing after about 11am (weather dependent).
- Don't forget the fruit boxes/poppers, whatever you call them! Security will often make you take the caps off water bottles & dispose of them (as a thrown full water bottle can be a weapon). But a water bottle without a cap is just going to spill everywhere. So, either hide the cap on yourself, or much easier, take fruit drinks in those cardboard containers. (I don't start drinking until the second half of the show).Take along energy bars too.
- pack light, & don't have any prohibited items (like cameras with long lenses). The quicker you get through security, the quicker you'll be in arena, & the better your spot will be.
- once you've claimed your spot in GA, spread out, sit down & relax! You've still got a few hours to wait until U2 come on, so you want to conserve energy, & you want some space. If you do end up with a rail place, sit down with your back against the rail, legs out straight, taking up as much room as possible. People won't invade your personal space (particularly if you are facing them). Once everyone behind you is all sorted out (many of them are likely to sit down too), then you can get up & admire the scenery, the stage, the crowd. Just for that initial phase once you arrive at the rail you want to take up some room, just to ensure it's not a crush around you, when there's still hours to wait for the main show to begin.

Have fun!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 02:05:45 AM by d.darroch »