Author Topic: So many resale tickets on Ticketmaster! Why? Are they fans or brokers?  (Read 16002 times)

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
If you check most US venues, there are hundreds of tickets available on Ticketmaster's website.  Granted most are only available on TM's resale marketplace.

Are most from ticket scalpers/brokers or are they from fans trying to sell tickets that they no longer need for whatever reason? 

Also, why are so many still available? 

My guess is because there hasn't been much tour promotion from the band due to Bono's injury.  Perhaps there are other reasons why there are so many tickets still for sale.

While some prices on there are outrageous, many are for face value and some are less than face value!  I wonder what is going on.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 08:04:58 PM by andrewau2 »

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
The tickets show up almost immediately after they go on sale, so I doubt it's fans whose plans change. I sincerely hope the scalpers take a bath on the tickets.

Offline Melon

• Wanderer
I bet a bunch are from TM or Live Nation themselves, as a lot of the resale tix appear almost instantaneously when shows "sell out" during general sales.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
In that case, TM and LN cut out the middleman scalper, and I hope they take a bath, too.

Offline u2CanHappenToAnyone

• Stateless
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I bet a bunch are from TM or Live Nation themselves, as a lot of the resale tix appear almost instantaneously when shows "sell out" during general sales.

This is just a huge guess because I have no firsthand experience with TicketCreeps sell-through policy but it feels like they purposefully hold back small blocks of tickets from the General Sale to post to their re-seller pages. Why? Because they can then give the artist (any artist) the buzz-worthy pull quote of Show is Sold Out sooner rather than later, and they then get to re-sell certain tickets (not all) at a mark up to customers who missed out on the General but want to get in to the Sold Out show. (More money for them has to be point-one in all their Sales and Marketing meetings.)

As for U2, once the tour starts and the band is back on the world stage, the re-seller tickets will sell and the arenas will be full. July can't come soon enough for me!

Offline Melon

• Wanderer
In that case, TM and LN cut out the middleman scalper, and I hope they take a bath, too.

Alas, no way they will take a bath on them as they have the luxury of putting them back in the general sale pool ("ticket drop" anyone?) if they really don't move at inflated prices.

Offline DanielCT

• Stateless
I noticed in the past week or so on the TM website, the resale tickets are no longer called 'resale', but 'fan to fan' tickets. Now doesn't that make it so much more special? I would love to see the scalpers take a bath on as many tickets to as many concerts as possible, by whatever artist. Unfortunately enough people will pay the crazy prices to make it worth their while.

• Stateless
I noticed in the past week or so on the TM website, the resale tickets are no longer called 'resale', but 'fan to fan' tickets. Now doesn't that make it so much more special? I would love to see the scalpers take a bath on as many tickets to as many concerts as possible, by whatever artist. Unfortunately enough people will pay the crazy prices to make it worth their while.

I am not sure there are traditional "scalpers" in this game - it's nearly all ticket brokers who are in bed with Ticketmaster and in no way will take a bath on anything. It's all pre-planned.

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase

TM doesn't resell tickets.  They offer a safe and guaranteed way for fans, and unfortunately scalpers, to resell their tickets on TM's website.

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase

Alas, no way they will take a bath on them as they have the luxury of putting them back in the general sale pool ("ticket drop" anyone?) if they really don't move at inflated prices.

How exactly do they go back into the general sale pool?  Tickets were purchased by either fans or scalpers and then posted for resale.  Unless the venue approves tickets being refunded (which most rarely do for shows like U2) and therefore reopened for sale, these tickets will stay showing as resale at the resale prices until they are actually sold.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
Re: So many resale tickets on Ticketmaster! Why? Are they fans or brokers?
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 02:09:20 PM »
I'm convinced the venue doesn't put all the tickets on sale, they hold (quite a few) back and put them on their secondary market site. Three hours after the denver sale, there were more than 50 GAs on the flash sales site starting at $174 apiece. Assuming the GAs can be transferred for denver, which is unclear at this point, I'm aupposed to believe that many fans changed their minds that quickly? BS

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 02:23:06 PM »

TM doesn't resell tickets.  They offer a safe and guaranteed way for fans, and unfortunately scalpers, to resell their tickets on TM's website.

But they do. Ticket brokers are subsidiaries of TM. It's the brokers who are selling on the secondary market. The brokers are, without question, tied to TM - it's a circle jerk of profiteering.

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 02:46:11 PM »
I am selling 2 tickets for 6/25 Chicago.  The reason is just because I was able to buy 4 GA tickets for July 2, and that works better for us.  I posted my tickets for 6/25 in sec 313 for $80, face value.  All the other resale tickets in that section are selling for twice as much as me, even people BEHIND me.  I'm surprised my tickets haven't sold yet, but the fact that there are so many tickets still available for Chicago 4-5 isn't helping me. 

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 03:23:00 PM »
I'm not saying some of the resellers arent legit, but there just cannot be that many legit fans who already have had a change of plans for denver to justify how many tickets are on the flash seats site already.

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 03:24:06 PM »

But they do. Ticket brokers are subsidiaries of TM. It's the brokers who are selling on the secondary market. The brokers are, without question, tied to TM - it's a circle jerk of profiteering.

No, they do not.  The brokers are not tied to, nor are they subsidiaries of, TM at all.  TM simply provides a place for them to sell tickets in the hope that fans purchasing them will not be screwed over by fake tickets, which happens a lot on other secondary resale sites.