Author Topic: So many resale tickets on Ticketmaster! Why? Are they fans or brokers?  (Read 15991 times)

Offline u2CanHappenToAnyone

• Stateless
Re: So many resale tickets on Ticketmaster! Why? Are they fans or brokers?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 03:47:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I bet a bunch are from TM or Live Nation themselves, as a lot of the resale tix appear almost instantaneously when shows "sell out" during general sales.

TM doesn't resell tickets.  They offer a safe and guaranteed way for fans, and unfortunately scalpers, to resell their tickets on TM's website.

But they do. Ticket brokers are subsidiaries of TM. It's the brokers who are selling on the secondary market. The brokers are, without question, tied to TM - it's a circle jerk of profiteering.

No, they do not.  The brokers are not tied to, nor are they subsidiaries of, TM at all.  TM simply provides a place for them to sell tickets in the hope that fans purchasing them will not be screwed over by fake tickets, which happens a lot on other secondary resale sites.

I guess we'll agree to disagree here! ... TicketsNow is a broker, owned by TM. I guess I'm a cynic but I find it hard to imagine TM would be in the re-selling business simply to provide a safe place for fans to sell their unwanted tickets ...

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 05:32:40 PM »
Interesting article.  If I understand correctly there are these possible scenarios to explain the resell tickets on TM's site:

1. Fans trying to resell.  No need to jump to StubHub as the article states.  Advantage for TM and the artists since the additional fees that are assessed are split between artist and TM.

2. The artist themselves write into the contract with TM to move some blocks of tickets to the resell market.  Again, advantage TM and artist, depending on the specifics of the split.  I'd love to know if the U2/TM contract for this tour requires this.  It wouldn't surprise me.  It almost would surprise me more if they didn't do this.  Essentially, you are really testing what the market will bear.

3.  TM, themselves move tickets to the resell marketplace.  Not sure if the artist receives a cut or not, but TM surely gains in both the inflated ticket price and fees.  I can't see an artist allowing this without benefiting themselves.

TicketMaster has surely been creative in trying to hold on to what the market will bear for concert tickets.  See this in the sports world too with flexible pricing plans that charge more for a game when the Yankees visit over the cost of the same seat when the Marlins visit

Still, something doesn't pass the smell test.  If the artist and TM are in agreement and all contracts and transactions are transparent, I guess the only person who gets screwed is the average fan.  Frankly, I'm surprised I was able to get GA tickets for 3 shows at the cheapest possible price.  Surely, these could bring more in the resell market.  If U2/TM allowed for blocks to move immediately to the resell market, at least they gave some consideration to fan club members who I would guess (could be wrong) went for GA tickets.

Think there is an anti-trust action that could be taken here? TM/LN seem to have a monopoly on the ticket distribution market and have contracts with most major arenas, making it difficult for artists to even try to go in another direction.  If artists are now benefiting from the resell market....essentially creating an auction for each ticket, why would they want the system to change now?

If I were U2 or any other band, I would have announced cheaper ticket prices, then put the blocks on the resell market.  That way they look good for keeping ticket prices down but get the higher prices that the resell market will deliver.

I doubt this is ever going to get better for these big shows. 

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 05:38:23 PM »
I think quite awhile ago pearl jam testified before congress about how consumers were being ripped off by ticketmaster. And I think the reaction was, so what.

Offline u2CanHappenToAnyone

• Stateless
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 05:44:31 PM »
I think quite awhile ago pearl jam testified before congress about how consumers were being ripped off by ticketmaster. And I think the reaction was, so what.

yep. 1994
same as it ever was

While fans applauded Pearl Jam's efforts, the band's unorthodox tactics were perceived in the industry as a direct affront to the profit base of a powerful clique of promoters, venue owners and concessionaires affiliated with Ticketmaster.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 05:51:07 PM »
I am selling 2 tickets for 6/25 Chicago.  The reason is just because I was able to buy 4 GA tickets for July 2, and that works better for us.  I posted my tickets for 6/25 in sec 313 for $80, face value.  All the other resale tickets in that section are selling for twice as much as me, even people BEHIND me.  I'm surprised my tickets haven't sold yet, but the fact that there are so many tickets still available for Chicago 4-5 isn't helping me. 

A friend of mine is in the same boat.  He got GA for another day and wants to sell his seats but they are not selling even though he is only asking what he paid for. 

I guess TM adds additional fees on so many that is deterring people from buying.  Or maybe people don't know about U2's tour...

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 06:29:38 PM »
Another consumer ripoff, not TM but altitude tickets, who handled denver sales. If you want a hard ticket it was $25 for either mail or picking up at will call. From what I could see there wasn't even a print at home option, just flash seats (swipe credit card or scan code on phone app). Because we all know a stamp costs $25...

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 06:36:37 PM »

yep. 1994
same as it ever was

While fans applauded Pearl Jam's efforts, the band's unorthodox tactics were perceived in the industry as a direct affront to the profit base of a powerful clique of promoters, venue owners and concessionaires affiliated with Ticketmaster.

Now, not only does Pearl Jam play venues where tickets are sold by TM, but they are also a Live Nation tour. I've always laughed at how they were anti-corp until they needed the money.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 07:00:53 PM »
I did not know that altitude tickets charged that much for mailing/handling fees. My only option was flash tickets

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 07:15:39 PM »
I did not know that altitude tickets charged that much for mailing/handling fees. My only option was flash tickets
At $25 a pop, I can't imagine anyone doing anything but flash seats, even if they had another option!

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 07:52:23 PM »
Exactly!

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2015, 10:52:44 PM »
I am selling 2 tickets for 6/25 Chicago.  The reason is just because I was able to buy 4 GA tickets for July 2, and that works better for us.  I posted my tickets for 6/25 in sec 313 for $80, face value.  All the other resale tickets in that section are selling for twice as much as me, even people BEHIND me.  I'm surprised my tickets haven't sold yet, but the fact that there are so many tickets still available for Chicago 4-5 isn't helping me. 

A friend of mine is in the same boat.  He got GA for another day and wants to sell his seats but they are not selling even though he is only asking what he paid for. 

I guess TM adds additional fees on so many that is deterring people from buying.  Or maybe people don't know about U2's tour...

This all sounds familiar. 

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2015, 12:30:47 PM »
Yea, where is Pearl Jam when you need them?

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2015, 01:20:10 PM »
Yea, where is Pearl Jam when you need them?

Selling tickets to their shows via TM and touring as a Live Nation act.  Again, they were against it all until they wanted to tour and needed the money.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2015, 02:45:52 PM »
In that case, TM and LN cut out the middleman scalper, and I hope they take a bath, too.

Alas, no way they will take a bath on them as they have the luxury of putting them back in the general sale pool ("ticket drop" anyone?) if they really don't move at inflated prices.
Wow, I feel so naive.

Offline Mary C

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2015, 04:15:40 PM »
Bono Rules, really?  I 've been a PJ fan from the beginning, and their greed level is nowhere near U2's (if U2 has a genuine greed level.)  They  don't need the money as much as U2, it seems, b/c while the guys in PJ have a nice lifestyle and a few cushy places, it's nowhere near the level of financial requirements that U2 appear to have. (*snark*)

I think it's just a case of, LN owns everybody now, it's been a slow and stealthy 15-yr takeover from the top level down, *before* they had the confidence to take over from the bottom level up. If you either directly own or are in cahoots with/cut a deal with everyone one else who owns every venue of note outside the county fair, then you can do as you damned well please and have no bones about it. Esp if you own the management of so many acts. Then it's a case not of "if you can't live with it, you die" and finally "if you can't beat 'em, join em."

In U2's case, it's going to be interesting to watch the unfolding 3-ring circus that is going to ensue. I think European venues are sold out first b/c the band were able to do an extensive promo tour there, but more importantly outside of London, maybe TM didn't have such a stranglehold on the market and there may have been some degree (note: I say SOME) of fairness in the sales. More tickets must have needed up in the hands of actual fans the first go-around. I could be very wrong, I don't know.

It's interesting that in 2005 when the ticket disaster happened then, the fans didn't sit back and take it like they do now, they raised a huge  stink, and the media took notice. Apparently other fanbases didn't do this kind of thing. Or maybe it was just the Propaganda people who protested. I forget. We had faith that we and the band were a family and so they would make it right, and to an extant they did. I wonder if it's b/c we know that Paul isn't there anymore so people think what's the use?

At any rate, it will be interesting to watch the band's reaction to the PopMart-like empty spaces in the arenas they so eagerly looked forward to returning to. The  Devil's Advocate in me hopes this will happen. And they'll wonder what happened.  Esp in places like San Jose which were some of the greatest shows in the band's recent career. You can lie to yourself only so long before the lie rears up and smacks you in the face. And then you have to live with the consequences. If this is to be the new face of touring in the US, well, it's up to them if they want to accept it. All the money in the world, I would hope,  would not make up for the diminished experience for the band as they play to those empty blocks, and possibly less enthusiastic fans in general, as many of the middle-class die-hards were shut out-not only financially but geographically.  I don't think the seats will magically sell right before the shows. At these reduced prices they would have sold by now.

I think they care a lot more about playing to smaller crowds now then they did back then...and esp in America.
And what will they say when the media take notice. Live Nation -and U2--won't be able to fool anyone then.