Author Topic: So many resale tickets on Ticketmaster! Why? Are they fans or brokers?  (Read 16015 times)

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
Re: So many resale tickets on Ticketmaster! Why? Are they fans or brokers?
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 06:06:44 PM »
There won't be empty seats and surely not blocks of empty seats.  One way or another, those seats will be filled and U2 will cash their checks.  I doubt they even know about tickets that are available right now....isn't their money guaranteed to some degree?  Isn't that the purpose of signing the long-term contract with LN and taking on promoters.

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 06:39:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Bono Rules, really?  I 've been a PJ fan from the beginning, and their greed level is nowhere near U2's (if U2 has a genuine greed level.)  They  don't need the money as much as U2, it seems, b/c while the guys in PJ have a nice lifestyle and a few cushy places, it's nowhere near the level of financial requirements that U2 appear to have. (*snark*)

Um, yes, really.  Everyone invokes Pearl Jam as the one who fought for the fans, they were against TM and big corporations, blah, blah, blah, but as soon as they wanted to really tour and make money, they cut the same deals with Live Nation that other bands have and played venues that were clients of TM.  If they weren't looking to make money, they would have stuck to the smaller venues and independent tour promoters.

In U2's case, it's going to be interesting to watch the unfolding 3-ring circus that is going to ensue. I think European venues are sold out first b/c the band were able to do an extensive promo tour there, but more importantly outside of London, maybe TM didn't have such a stranglehold on the market and there may have been some degree (note: I say SOME) of fairness in the sales. More tickets must have needed up in the hands of actual fans the first go-around. I could be very wrong, I don't know.

Not sure what was unfair about the ticket sales.  No matter how hard everyone tries to stop them, brokers/scalpers always seem to find a way to scoop up tickets.  And, TM has offices in other countries. 

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 08:18:09 PM »
There won't be empty seats and surely not blocks of empty seats.  One way or another, those seats will be filled and U2 will cash their checks.  I doubt they even know about tickets that are available right now....isn't their money guaranteed to some degree?  Isn't that the purpose of signing the long-term contract with LN and taking on promoters.

that's an interesting point... I wonder if U2's contract calls for LN to guarantee a certain revenue per show based on # seats in the arena... and LN takes on the risk of selling the seats based on pricing strategy (although U2 clearly influence the pricing because they want a certain percentage of affordable tickets)...?

Offline u2CanHappenToAnyone

• Stateless
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 08:26:48 PM »

that's an interesting point... I wonder if U2's contract calls for LN to guarantee a certain revenue per show based on # seats in the arena... and LN takes on the risk of selling the seats based on pricing strategy (although U2 clearly influence the pricing because they want a certain percentage of affordable tickets)...?

yes.

Offline colofan

• Babyface
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2015, 09:18:27 AM »
Denver's been brought up specifically, so I'll just point out that one of the reasons why scalpers are getting GA's relisted is because Altitude Tickets is handling it, not TM, and their FlashSeats program allows ticket transfers.  So, unlike most of the other venues on the tour, Denver GA tix can easily be resold. 

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2015, 09:41:00 AM »
As of last night, one can still find GAs for Denver via Flash Seats for $115, so not horribly gouging like some venues/resellers.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2015, 10:20:50 AM »
Hope people who wanted GAs to denver 2 were able to get them. Ten minutes after the sale started, there were lots of resale GAs on flash seats, starting at I think $130 (plus about $30 fees), which leads me to believe a lot of GAs were held out of the sale. :(

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2015, 10:48:45 AM »
I have two ga's for night 2 and now indeed to sell one-at my cost, I refuse to scalp!

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2015, 11:39:24 AM »
You know what bugs me the most? That handicapped accessible tickets (I assume WC stands for wheelchair) show up for resale.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2015, 03:49:25 PM »
That's just stupid!

Offline U2inALABAMA

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2015, 01:44:06 PM »
I think quite awhile ago pearl jam testified before congress about how consumers were being ripped off by ticketmaster. And I think the reaction was, so what.

yep. 1994
same as it ever was

While fans applauded Pearl Jam's efforts, the band's unorthodox tactics were perceived in the industry as a direct affront to the profit base of a powerful clique of promoters, venue owners and concessionaires affiliated with Ticketmaster.

Now, not only does Pearl Jam play venues where tickets are sold by TM, but they are also a Live Nation tour. I've always laughed at how they were anti-corp until they needed the money.

At least Pearl Jam tried... But it was hell trying to get a ticket to their '95 tour- sh**ty (non-Ticketmaster) venues in bad parts of town- but they were $26 if you could get one.  Not bad.

I paid $162 face value for a U2 ticket in ATL bout 10 years ago...  Pearl Jam was charging about $60 then..

Pearl Jam tickets for 2014 tour: $79-89 every seat in the house
U2 tickets for 2015 tour: $350 face value for a seat on the side

But ya, Pearl Jam are greedy corporate whores...   Talk sh** when Bono plays the whole tour pro bono. (Get it?  Pro Bono?)

I think my work is done here...

Offline lemonPOP

• Refugee
  • Love is a temple
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2015, 03:35:25 PM »
I would love to see Pearl Jam!  Ten is one of my favorite albums of all time and I never got the chance to see them.  It looks like they are touring south America the end of this year and ticket prices to Mexico City are 400$ to 1800$ on ticket master.  Hope they don't charge that much in the states!

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2015, 06:35:43 PM »
I think quite awhile ago pearl jam testified before congress about how consumers were being ripped off by ticketmaster. And I think the reaction was, so what.

yep. 1994
same as it ever was

While fans applauded Pearl Jam's efforts, the band's unorthodox tactics were perceived in the industry as a direct affront to the profit base of a powerful clique of promoters, venue owners and concessionaires affiliated with Ticketmaster.

Now, not only does Pearl Jam play venues where tickets are sold by TM, but they are also a Live Nation tour. I've always laughed at how they were anti-corp until they needed the money.

At least Pearl Jam tried... But it was hell trying to get a ticket to their '95 tour- sh**ty (non-Ticketmaster) venues in bad parts of town- but they were $26 if you could get one.  Not bad.

I paid $162 face value for a U2 ticket in ATL bout 10 years ago...  Pearl Jam was charging about $60 then..

Pearl Jam tickets for 2014 tour: $79-89 every seat in the house
U2 tickets for 2015 tour: $350 face value for a seat on the side

But ya, Pearl Jam are greedy corporate whores...   Talk sh** when Bono plays the whole tour pro bono. (Get it?  Pro Bono?)

I think my work is done here...

My comment about them needing money had nothing to do with the cost of their tickets.  It had everything to do with how they were all against being "controlled" by big corporations, but when they realized that there wasn't a whole lot of money to be made touring those small venues in bad neighborhoods, they signed up with Live Nation and started paying big venues that used TM as their ticketing vendor.  No matter how much the ticket actually costs, I'm sure they are selling a lot more now and are therefore making more money.