Author Topic: Rattle & No Hum  (Read 3056 times)

An Cat Dubh

Rattle & No Hum
« on: April 09, 2015, 01:44:58 PM »
Another forum member mentioned on another thread that his playlist for Rattle & Hum cut out all the live cuts. Now, as much as I like the live recordings, the released album comes across as a bit of a mish mash, and does not flow properly. For that reason, I also cut out the live songs (I have them all on my bootleg collection anyways) and listen to an album of purely studio recordings, and have added in a couple of B-sides and a bonus track. This is the order I play them in, It would be interesting to see everyone else's preferred running orders:

Hawkmoon 269
Desire
Heartland
Angel Of Harlem
God Part II
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
Van Diemen's Land
Love Rescue Me
When Love Comes To Town
Hallelujah Here She Comes
All I Want Is You
Bonus Track - She's A Mystery To Me

I also have a double album playlist to incorporate the above track list,  the Joshua Tree Tracks and the B-sides (Luminous Times, Spanish Eyes, Silver & Gold and Sweetest Thing) - I call it "Desert Songs - (A Journey Into The Heart Of Two Americas)" see what I did there ?  ;)

Any thoughts. Boring thread I know but I was listening to it in my car on the way to work this morning.

Z.

An Cat Dubh

Re: Rattle & No Hum
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 01:45:53 PM »
Mods, sorry - I think this should this be in General Discussion?

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 01:46:56 PM »
No mod am I, but I think it's perfectly placed in Music. :)

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 02:48:04 PM »
Is there even a full resolution version of "Black Irish Rose"? If so, that one should be included in a deluxe R&H.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 03:08:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Is there even a full resolution version of "Black Irish Rose"? If so, that one should be included in a deluxe R&H.

Do you mean Wild Irish Rose?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 03:57:04 PM »
properly sequenced playlist:

VDL
Desire
God p2
Hawkmoon
Heartland
Heartbreak Hotel
AOH
WLCTT
LRM
H[HSC]
AIWIY

and i'd call the album Angel of Harlem or Desire

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 03:59:36 PM »
properly sequenced playlist:

VDL
Desire
God p2
Hawkmoon
Heartland
Heartbreak Hotel
AOH
WLCTT
LRM
H[HSC]
AIWIY

and i'd call the album Angel of Harlem or Desire

I call it Heartland, Desire is a good name also.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 04:34:39 PM »
hahah heartland was the first thing i was going to call it but i like Angel of Harlem better. Desire too.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 04:44:24 PM »
Another forum member mentioned on another thread that his playlist for Rattle & Hum cut out all the live cuts. Now, as much as I like the live recordings, the released album comes across as a bit of a mish mash, and does not flow properly. For that reason, I also cut out the live songs (I have them all on my bootleg collection anyways) and listen to an album of purely studio recordings, and have added in a couple of B-sides and a bonus track. This is the order I play them in, It would be interesting to see everyone else's preferred running orders:

Hawkmoon 269
Desire
Heartland
Angel Of Harlem
God Part II
A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
Van Diemen's Land
Love Rescue Me
When Love Comes To Town
Hallelujah Here She Comes
All I Want Is You
Bonus Track - She's A Mystery To Me

I also have a double album playlist to incorporate the above track list,  the Joshua Tree Tracks and the B-sides (Luminous Times, Spanish Eyes, Silver & Gold and Sweetest Thing) - I call it "Desert Songs - (A Journey Into The Heart Of Two Americas)" see what I did there ?  ;)

Any thoughts. Boring thread I know but I was listening to it in my car on the way to work this morning.

Z.

I have pretty much the exact same order with the inclusion of Slow Dancing (acoustic) before Heartland.
I also included the covers Jesus Christ, Unchained melody ,Everlasting Love and Dancing Barefoot.
Been thinking about slipping in" Sweet Fire of Love" as well.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 04:48:52 PM »
whats Sweet Fire of Love? i wanted to keep it all original so i didn't bother with the covers.

i've done the JT double disc thing before two, s'okay. not anything id listen to again.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 04:59:45 PM »
whats Sweet Fire of Love? i wanted to keep it all original so i didn't bother with the covers.

i've done the JT double disc thing before two, s'okay. not anything id listen to again.

Sweet Fire of Love is a Robbie Robertson song with U2 as his backing band and Bono on co-vocals. It was on the radio a lot in the late 80's and classic rock stations still play it. Pretty good song but Somewhere Down the Crazy River is my favorite Robertson song from that period.

Sweet Fire of Love You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 05:01:27 PM »
huh. ill have to check that out later. this is the main reason i love band forums, finding out info like this.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 05:02:28 PM »

When the band was recording JT Lanois was also producing Robbie Robertson solo album he invited U2 to do a duet,its kind of like WLCTT.

I wasn't gonna include the cover tunes either for the same reason but then I remembered The Beatles, Stones , Zeppelin included cover tunes on their records and thought HEY why not there great covers.

No love for the JT b - sides ?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:51:48 AM by Parsons »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 05:04:30 PM »
no, i love the JT b-sides, but like most b-sides, imo, they are b-sides cuz they don't have a place on the album. U2's 84-89 b's are their best, but i cant see where theyd fit in the album and not disrupt the flow.

and i personally feel putting covers into an album cheapens the album. i know bands in the 60's did it, yes esp. the early Beatles but we've moved past that into albums of full original material.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 05:08:56 PM »
Luminous Times would have been a great opener for Side 2 of The Joshua Tree. Edge wanted it on the album but they couldn't finish it on time. In my mind one of U2's greatest songs.

A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel would have fit in well after Hawkmoon on Rattle & Hum.