Author Topic: Rattle & No Hum  (Read 3018 times)

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
Re: Rattle & No Hum
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 05:12:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Luminous Times would have been a great opener for Side 2 of The Joshua Tree. Edge wanted it on the album but they couldn't finish it on time. In my mind one of U2's greatest songs.

A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel would have fit in well after Hawkmoon on Rattle & Hum.

+1

My only criticism of RATHH is the gospel Chorus at the end is a bit long.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 05:20:20 PM »
well R&H is different. it's not a streamlined cohesive album like all the others. it's a scrapbook. it lends itself perfectly to fan made playlists. but i still have no interest in covers.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 05:26:49 PM »
well R&H is different. it's not a streamlined cohesive album like all the others. it's a scrapbook. it lends itself perfectly to fan made playlists. but i still have no interest in covers.

Yeah,there not for everyone.
I forgot to mention I included " Dreaming with tears in my eyes " for the mere fact of Bono's vocal delivery and Larry's big drum sound it evokes the spirit of RH ( IMHO ).

Here it is if you haven't heard it.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 10:53:19 AM by Parsons »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 05:28:20 PM »
yea thats one i heard years ago, many many hard drives ago i had the mp3

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 10:10:12 PM »
R & H should be praised.

After TJT they could have easily just released a live album. It would have still sold millions. But they included several new songs. Less than two years after TJT. So fans of both U2 live and new music were happy.

The film was criticised. But if you are a U2 fan, it should be enjoyable. I enjoyed it.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2015, 10:20:24 PM »
R & H should be praised.

After TJT they could have easily just released a live album. It would have still sold millions. But they included several new songs. Less than two years after TJT. So fans of both U2 live and new music were happy.

The film was criticised. But if you are a U2 fan, it should be enjoyable. I enjoyed it.

disc 1 - new album

disc 2 - live album

it's not hard to do. dont try to reinvent the wheel.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2015, 10:20:34 PM »
Perhaps U2 realised they would have to release R & H.

The success of TJT meant the tour was being extended. Maybe into 1989. They probably realised that after a post tour break they would have to spend time 'dreaming it all up again'. So there could have been a long gap between albums.

However R & H was neatly released while U2 were on the crest of a wave and touring continuing until late 1989.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 10:22:10 PM »
they could have released 1 new full length album. they didn't. i'm not sure what you'd even classify R&H as. its not a studio album or a live, its just both.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 11:07:18 PM »
Not sure the studio songs alone were good enough to be released as a just a studio follow up to TJT. The critics would have lynched it even more.

This problem was negated by live songs, a film and continued touring.

The only other option was to spend several more months in the studio and quit touring. But touring is where the money is and is what they love doing.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2015, 12:21:08 AM »
R & H should be praised.

+1 I love the album and film to this day.

R & H should be praised.

disc 1 - new album

disc 2 - live album

I applaud them for trying to make an audio scrapbook of what it was like on the road in 87
from stage to studio ( etc) but then again It would have been nice as you suggested to have disc 1 studio and disc 2 live , I'm sure the critics would have dissed that idea as well.
It's kind of cool to make are own personal versions

Not sure the studio songs alone were good enough to be released as a just a studio follow up to TJT. The critics would have lynched it even more.

This problem was negated by live songs, a film and continued touring.

The only other option was to spend several more months in the studio and quit touring. But touring is where the money is and is what they love doing.

I believe the songs are very strong they could stand on there own
Desire, All I want is you, Angel, Hawkmoon , Heartland, GOD pt 2    Wow !
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:27:27 AM by Parsons »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2015, 07:33:40 AM »
yea the playlist ive made of just the studio tracks would have killed. Desire,Angel,WLCTT,AIWIY all went #1. ditchin the live stuff would have hardly effected the outcome.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2015, 07:43:20 AM »
It would be interesting to see the band eventually do a deluxe remaster version where they mess with the track list like that--1 studio disc (maybe with b-sides added) and 1 live disc (maybe with unreleased material).

That said, really, that's the beauty of programs like iTunes, where you can customize albums exactly how you want them.  For me, the b-sides all make a nice "disc 2" to the album.  As it is, it's flawed, but also the only way to hear it for at least 10+ years--so even without having a great "flow", it's the only flow I know.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2015, 12:05:27 PM »

When the band was recording JT Lanois was also producing Robbie Robertson solo album he invited U2 to do a duet,its kind of like WLCTT.

Don't forget Testimony, U2's on that one too (Bono sings vocals on the chorus).

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:17:05 PM by The Exile »

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2015, 01:21:44 AM »
U2 fans were not complaining when R & H was released.

It was quick follow up, with some good songs that were not radically different to TJT. Together with live tracks and a film.

The critics criticised it, but after non stop praise, perhaps it was time for a backlash.

Offline zoo adam

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2015, 01:27:59 AM »
R & H should be praised.

disc 1 - new album

disc 2 - live album

I like the way the album flows.

A mixture of live and studio tracks is rare. Two separate discs will have people comparing the studio disc to TJT. Which is something they would want to avoid.

At the end of day, the album will be judged on the quality of the songs, regardless of the running order.