Author Topic: MacPhisto Worship Thread  (Read 43823 times)

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2015, 12:24:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Desire is pretty great - I always liked the way he goes "I'm burning baby, yeah... oh yeah... oh yeah".

I can't lie, hearing that part with a pen in your mouth at work can be...interesting, if you know what I mean  ;D (found that out yesterday listening to it - fortunately no one was around)

Bwahaha! ;D

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2015, 12:56:51 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I love this poster!

And it was on this day in 1999 that I came across it in a local second-hand music shop, to my surprise and delight. I'd only discovered U2 about three weeks earlier, and hadn't even seen the ZooTV video or heard any live recordings yet, but I was already a MacPhisto fan. :D

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #107 on: July 16, 2015, 02:29:29 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
??????????

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2015, 03:15:37 PM »
Okay, it took me FOREVER to finally see MacPhisto in that photo! But I see it now! How cool.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #109 on: July 16, 2015, 03:24:02 PM »
Okay, it took me FOREVER to finally see MacPhisto in that photo! But I see it now! How cool.

But... why is he there?!

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2015, 12:12:18 PM »
The first of two nights in Bologna was on this date. In the middle of Desire, MacPhisto apparently spots a balloon in the crowd ("Oh, lovely!") and is very keen to get his hands on it, for some reason - does anyone know what it was, exactly?!

The phone call was to lovely Luciano Pavarotti and is a real joy to listen to - even just the way he answers the phone in a sing-song voice, which brings a huge smile to MacPhisto's face as you can see in the clip You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login at 0:26! He is full of love and praise for U2 and their audience, laughs at MacPhisto's suggestion that he is "slimming down for the '90s", and says it would be "a great pleasure" to join them on stage one day (which happened in Modena a couple of years later). Awwww. I was really sad when he died in 2007.

You can watch the end of the phone call, Ultra Violet and With Or Without You You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. It's one of my favourite bootleg videos because of MacPhisto hilariously drawing his microphone technician into a slow-dance and kissing his hand at the start of Ultra Violet (2:06), and then bringing a girl on stage during WOWY and literally sweeping her off her feet (9:54)! I mayyyyy have watched that part quite a few times in the past... what a smooth technique he has...

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #111 on: July 18, 2015, 09:29:52 AM »
Second night in Bologna and the final show in Italy.

Today's concert anniversary is the first of two nights in Rome. This is one of the first MacPhisto performances I ever heard outside of the Sydney video, as I bought the bootleg on cassette during a visit to Dublin, haha!

And this was the other bootleg tape I bought on that trip. :) Always liked the Sympathy For The Devil snippet in Desire! "Please allow me to introduce myself... hello." :D There are some nice little moans in there too...

MacPhisto's speech and phone call are the first of the wonderful You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Oh my sweet heavens, the way he says "a gold lamé suit like mine" with that sultry stare... is it hot in here or what?

He decides to phone Mussolini's granddaughter Alessandra, but gets a babbly answerphone message, and pulls an amusing bunch of frowny, unimpressed faces before shouting in vain for some human response. He then leaves one of his sweetly barbed messages for Alessandra ("I was a close friend of her grandfather's, and I just want to tell her she's doing a wonderful job filling the old man's shoes!"), adding "I will be with her forever in spirit..." in a tone that'll send shivers up your spine.

I think some Ultra Violet clips from this show were used in the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, mixed with Turin footage as You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Audio links: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2015, 03:21:52 PM »
The only concert U2 have ever played in Hungary took place 22 years ago today, in Budapest. Desire has quite a lengthy shouted snippet of '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction' at the end. I guess there weren't many English-speaking fans in the audience, as they bizarrely had an interpreter on stage with MacPhisto! (Meanwhile I don't speak any Hungarian, so please let me know if you're able to transcribe the answerphone message for me.) It's all rather awkward-sounding, especially since there appears to be some uncertainty as to how the communist politician Gyula Thürmer's name is pronounced!

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2015, 11:05:28 AM »
Copenhagen was the first in a trio of Scandinavian shows. Quite like MacPhisto telling the fans "You know I love you" after snippeting Love Me Do at the end of Desire. :)

I heard this particular speech on a website during the first few months of my fandom and liked it a lot, but then the site disappeared and it took me almost 6 years to find another recording of it! A rather nice quote is "I love the feeling of togetherness. We're all here tonight, pressing up against each other, it's fabulous!" He then compares this to the EEC, which doesn't go down too well with the eurosceptic Danes who had been very reluctant to ratify the Maastricht Treaty. :P The phone call is to "Uffemann", the Foreign Minister who had negotiated some opt-outs so that Denmark would accept the treaty in a second referendum. ("It's wonderful to have people to tell you what you want, isn't it?") As mentioned earlier in this thread, there were apparently lots of fans ringing the guy's home number after the show to complain about his wife's rudeness in hanging up on MacPhisto!

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2015, 09:31:25 PM »
Would you mind sharing the recording you found? I'm very interested.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2015, 09:34:12 AM »

The Copenhagen speech? You can download it here:

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2015, 02:21:43 PM »

Thank you!

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2015, 03:48:57 PM »

Thank you!

No probs! All the speeches and phone calls are here:

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2015, 08:48:50 AM »
Anniversary of the Oslo show today, which was an interesting one! Desire again featured a snippet of Sympathy For The Devil. "You know me, don't you?" (I have no idea what the "Goodnight John-Boy" thing from The Waltons is all about, though! Anyone?)

The phone call concerns Norway's pro-whaling policy, which MacPhisto doesn't have a problem with - "What have the whales ever done for us, eh? They're unemployed, they don't pay taxes and they take up a lot of room!" There are early indications that this isn't going in quite the right direction when people in the crowd start voicing their agreement ("Kill the whales!" "Eat them!"), but he presses on and phones the Fisheries Minister, Jan Henry Olsen... who actually answers! MacPhisto sounds quite surprised, since this has never happened before and never will again! Gotta say I enjoy the way Olsen just cheerfully goes along with it all; I don't agree with whaling, but fair play to him for being so cool and good-humoured about the prank call. :) The politician defends his position, saying that the whales aren't endangered so it's OK to catch them for food. The crowd are *delighted* to hear him say this, cheering and chanting so loudly that part of the conversation is drowned out. MacPhisto tries to tease him by asking "D'you like to munch on a whale yourself?", but Olsen responds by inviting the Devil to dinner with him, as he's having a whale steak tomorrow! This does allow MacPhisto the perfect punchline: "Mr Olsen, I think you and I are going to get on just fine!"

Edge later discussed this phone call in Q magazine: "The whaling minister was interesting, because we realised during the course of the conversation that probably about 75% of the audience agreed with him. That was hubris, I think - the one time when we felt the joke backfired on us." It clearly angered the singer, as he doesn't seem to let it go for the rest of the encore. An entire verse of Ultra Violet is changed to reference the whaling in Norway:
"Will you bury our treasure where it can't be found?
Deep under the ocean... makes a wonderful sound
There is a silence that comes to a house where no-one can sleep
We won't ask you to make promises we know you won't keep.
"
And then in the last verse he sings "Time's giving out, I'll soon be outta here - I won't be back for many years", so maybe there was some thought of boycotting the country if things didn't change? (They did return for the PopMart and Vertigo tours, though.)

Love Is Blindness also had some major alterations, which you can listen to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login:
"This is a song that I think you'll understand. Put out the lights... we're better off in the dark."
"The thread is ripping, the knot is slipping. All is blindness."
"Love is clockworks, cold steel... hearts that are too cold to feel."
And snippets of All Along The Watchtower, ending the song with these lines:
"Businessmen they drink my wine
Ploughmen dig my earth
None of them, no, none of them
Know what any of it is worth
None of them along the line
Know what any of it is worth
What price... blindness?
"

Wow. That awkward moment when you've gone to a rock concert and royally p*ssed off the band! I'm guessing the atmosphere wasn't so great by the end of the night...

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2015, 09:13:44 AM »
I always wondered what Love is Blindness sounded like with the All Along the Watchtower snippet... glad to see it's on YouTube now. (I never got the hang of downloading bootlegs...) Very interesting.

I really like that phone call too. MacPhisto's interactions with Olsen are hilarious!