Author Topic: MacPhisto Worship Thread  (Read 42179 times)

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2015, 03:19:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anniversary of the Oslo show today, which was an interesting one! Desire again featured a snippet of Sympathy For The Devil. "You know me, don't you?" (I have no idea what the "Goodnight John-Boy" thing from The Waltons is all about, though! Anyone?)

The phone call concerns Norway's pro-whaling policy, which MacPhisto doesn't have a problem with - "What have the whales ever done for us, eh? They're unemployed, they don't pay taxes and they take up a lot of room!" There are early indications that this isn't going in quite the right direction when people in the crowd start voicing their agreement ("Kill the whales!" "Eat them!"), but he presses on and phones the Fisheries Minister, Jan Henry Olsen... who actually answers! MacPhisto sounds quite surprised, since this has never happened before and never will again! Gotta say I enjoy the way Olsen just cheerfully goes along with it all; I don't agree with whaling, but fair play to him for being so cool and good-humoured about the prank call. :) The politician defends his position, saying that the whales aren't endangered so it's OK to catch them for food. The crowd are *delighted* to hear him say this, cheering and chanting so loudly that part of the conversation is drowned out. MacPhisto tries to tease him by asking "D'you like to munch on a whale yourself?", but Olsen responds by inviting the Devil to dinner with him, as he's having a whale steak tomorrow! This does allow MacPhisto the perfect punchline: "Mr Olsen, I think you and I are going to get on just fine!"

Edge later discussed this phone call in Q magazine: "The whaling minister was interesting, because we realised during the course of the conversation that probably about 75% of the audience agreed with him. That was hubris, I think - the one time when we felt the joke backfired on us." It clearly angered the singer, as he doesn't seem to let it go for the rest of the encore. An entire verse of Ultra Violet is changed to reference the whaling in Norway:
"Will you bury our treasure where it can't be found?
Deep under the ocean... makes a wonderful sound
There is a silence that comes to a house where no-one can sleep
We won't ask you to make promises we know you won't keep.
"
And then in the last verse he sings "Time's giving out, I'll soon be outta here - I won't be back for many years", so maybe there was some thought of boycotting the country if things didn't change? (They did return for the PopMart and Vertigo tours, though.)

Love Is Blindness also had some major alterations, which you can listen to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login:
"This is a song that I think you'll understand. Put out the lights... we're better off in the dark."
"The thread is ripping, the knot is slipping. All is blindness."
"Love is clockworks, cold steel... hearts that are too cold to feel."
And snippets of All Along The Watchtower, ending the song with these lines:
"Businessmen they drink my wine
Ploughmen dig my earth
None of them, no, none of them
Know what any of it is worth
None of them along the line
Know what any of it is worth
What price... blindness?
"

Wow. That awkward moment when you've gone to a rock concert and royally p*ssed off the band! I'm guessing the atmosphere wasn't so great by the end of the night...

There are few things scarier than Bono when he's REALLY pi**ed off, apparently.  Ironically, the next time U2 did go to Norway on the Popmart tour...the Lemon broke down. XD
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 03:28:20 PM by Kurukira »

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2015, 05:01:22 PM »
Ironically, the next time U2 did go to Norway on the Popmart tour...the Lemon broke down. XD

Oh yeah! They really don't seem to have much luck in that city. :P

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #122 on: July 30, 2015, 03:26:07 PM »
It's 16 years to the day since I saw MacPhisto (and indeed the whole band) in action for the first time, when I got the incredible ZooTV Live From Sydney video! What an experience that was. :) I'd never even heard MacPhisto's voice before, I'd only seen photographs. It really was startling when he opened his mouth! There was just no trace of Bono anywhere. So creepy-in-a-good-way. :D My diary entry for that day reads, "Got the ZooTV video, and it's awesome! Mr MacPhisto is well worth it, he's *excellent*!!!" By the next day I had apparently already memorised parts of his speech, and was quoting it to confuse random idiots who tried to IM me. :P

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #123 on: July 30, 2015, 05:20:34 PM »
It's 16 years to the day since I saw MacPhisto (and indeed the whole band) in action for the first time, when I got the incredible ZooTV Live From Sydney video! What an experience that was. :) I'd never even heard MacPhisto's voice before, I'd only seen photographs. It really was startling when he opened his mouth! There was just no trace of Bono anywhere. So creepy-in-a-good-way. :D

Similar to my first experience with MacPhisto, but in my case it was on the radio with that famous Dublin concert.  The announcers described MacPhisto before the second part of that show started.  Once we got into "Desire" I hear this rather upper crusty voice, and I'm thinking.... "Who's this?  Where's Bono?"  But then came the familiar 'Bono sounds' and that's when it hit me.  It was amazing to me then (and even now) that this Irish guy could do a stuffy old British accent so well!

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2015, 11:25:32 AM »
The mini Scandinavian tour concluded in Stockholm on this date - home city of ABBA, so MacPhisto opens his speech with a snippet of Money, Money, Money. :D

Tonight's phone call is to the racist politician Ian Wachtmeister ("Ooh, he's my kind of man - I like people flashy"). The girl who answers the phone is clearly a massive U2 fan, and is so excited that it's impossible to shut her up! MacPhisto has to try and drown her out as she's still going well into the start of Ultra Violet. *g* Despite the cringe factor of this, I do love their unexpected duet of 'I Just Called To Say I Love You', shared laughter and spontaneous flirting ("You're fantastic!" "Oh, I... and so are you, darling!"). A very enjoyable clip overall. :)

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2015, 10:47:51 AM »
The Zooropa Tour returned to the Netherlands in August for a show in Nijmegen, where our favourite devil began fondly reminiscing about the old Fascist dictators again! Another phone call to a xenophobic politician, this time Hans Janmaat - I love it when he reads out the phone number and adds "You can try this at home, children!" with an audible mischievous grin. :D He gets through to the world's bluntest man and then gets hung up on. It's not easy being MacPhisto, you know.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #126 on: August 04, 2015, 01:18:58 AM »
^ Oh .... that brings back memorys of that night. It was funny. I did not find a good spot, just to late for the front space area. But had a good time.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2015, 04:57:15 AM »
The amazing You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login feature about ZooTV was broadcast on 6th August 1993. If you haven't seen it yet, WATCH IT. If you've seen it before, WATCH IT AGAIN. Have I mentioned its amazingness? Why can't there be more non-concert footage of MacPhisto? Possibly my favourite bit is the profound quote immediately followed by "...or something like that". :D And he sings along with the little cosmonaut dude! I think I've probably never been more excited than when I saw this for the first time. Normally when such things turn up, I wake up the next day with the crushing realisation that it was only a dream, but this one was actually real!

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2015, 11:08:47 AM »
The Zooropa Tour arrived in the UK on this date! Starting with a couple of nights in Glasgow, where MacPhisto observes (accurately) that the Scots are "a rowdy bunch". :D He appears to shout "Go on, kiss him!" just before the harmonica solo in Desire, which I'm guessing is in reference to the shot of Charles & Diana's wedding on the video screen.

His speech opens with a mini Sinatra tribute, singing his own Glasgow versions of 'My Kind Of Town' and 'New York, New York'. There's a theatrical and especially Shakespearean theme tonight. I've never quite figured out what he was talking about when he said that "Macbeth (the man, not the play) died 400 years ago this evening"?? Macbeth died on 15th August 1057, so it wasn't even the anniversary and it was 936 years earlier, not 400! Somebody reckoned he meant Shakespeare's death, but that doesn't fit either (23rd April 1616, so only 377 years and nowhere near August). Christopher Marlowe died in 1593, but not on that date. It's a very puzzling remark and I'd be grateful if anyone can suggest a likely explanation!

All the UK shows outside of London featured phone calls to Tory politicians, starting with the Scottish Secretary, Ian Lang. I love the paraphrased quotes from Macbeth - "Is this a telephone I see before me, the handle toward my hand?" and "Out, out, damned Scot!" ;D Also, the man who takes the phone call is *so* lovely and polite compared to most of the people MacPhisto has to deal with! I wouldn't be surprised if he actually did pass on the message he was given. :D (Side note: MacPhisto bizarrely forgets how to spell his own name during this conversation, using an 'F' instead of the usual P-H. Such things happen when you get to his age, I suppose.)

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2015, 04:58:11 AM »
Second night in Glasgow. This time MacPhisto phones his friend John Major, the Prime Minister ("an exciting fellow"). I love the cheerily helpful secretary at 10 Downing Street, offering to take a message. MacPhisto says he's calling "from the top of the country - he may have heard of it, it's called Scotland"! He sarcastically praises the "marvellous job" the PM is doing for the peoples of Scotland and Bosnia, before signing off with an "Au revoir". "Bye-bye!" replies the cheery secretary. :D

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »
On 11th August was the first and most famous of four London shows. There's a bit in Desire where MacPhisto walks to the front of the stage, says "Hey there pretty" and strokes someone's face - not sure if it's a random fan or a crew member! (I can't even tell if it's a girl or a guy, since they're only visible from behind.)

MacPhisto reminisces (in speech and song) about the "good old days" of the British Raj, and brings up the government's protection of Salman Rushdie who was then at great risk of being murdered by Islamic extremists. (If you haven't read his autobiography 'Joseph Anton', I highly recommend it.) As I'm sure everybody knows, he gave Salman a call and the author revealed himself to be present at the stadium, joining MacPhisto on stage for some more banter and a hug. :) The Devil comes out with some hilarious one-liners in this conversation, like "He's been taking my name in vain!" and "Do you get out and about much these days?" - I love his quiet cackling after the latter, as captured in one of the photographs below. :D Not to mention the debate as to which of them has "more trouble with the critics", LOL! I'm a big fan of them both, so I just adore this whole guest appearance. Funny, heart-warming and very brave at the time!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

(Many more pics over You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.)

Frustratingly I have yet to discover a complete video of Salman on stage, but there are a few short clips - from a BBC You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login documentary (0:46), an You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login news item (3:34), and an You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login on the tour (1:08).

Audio links: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. You can listen to a bootleg of the whole show You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2015, 03:21:10 PM »
Indeed! I've never seen the last pic before and I love it!

Also, I love this phone call! Salmon Rushdie seems very cool to get onstage with U2, considering the circumstances. I love how Bono/MacPhisto was clearly surprised by it.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2015, 09:38:29 AM »
Second night in London. MacPhisto decides to phone Princess Diana, one of his favourite women! ("I think everybody gives her too hard a time; I think she's gorgeous, and sexy.") He apparently gets put straight through to her apartments, no questions asked (good job there were no tragic consequences from this particular royal prank call), but when the phone eventually stops ringing, no-one speaks despite all of his gentle coaxing. Bono later said in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that he reckons Diana picked up the phone and was listening silently! Her devilish admirer sings to her and adds "We love you, girl!" Really sad what happened to her during the next tour. :(

The audio bootleg can be found You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, with Desire starting at 1:50:27 and the speech at 1:54:58.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2015, 04:31:12 PM »
Second night in London. MacPhisto decides to phone Princess Diana, one of his favourite women! ("I think everybody gives her too hard a time; I think she's gorgeous, and sexy.") He apparently gets put straight through to her apartments, no questions asked (good job there were no tragic consequences from this particular royal prank call), but when the phone eventually stops ringing, no-one speaks despite all of his gentle coaxing. Bono later said in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that he reckons Diana picked up the phone and was listening silently! Her devilish admirer sings to her and adds "We love you, girl!" Really sad what happened to her during the next tour. :(

I LOVE that interview to death, and I think you can guess why - what a hot mess Bono was in the interview, dayum!  I can't wait until we get to the 24th (Cork)- that's easily my all time favorite MacPhisto spiel.  That has me wondering, do you know if Bono has written all of MacPhisto's speeches or did he have help? 

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2015, 05:40:22 PM »

I LOVE that interview to death, and I think you can guess why - what a hot mess Bono was in the interview, dayum!  I can't wait until we get to the 24th (Cork)- that's easily my all time favorite MacPhisto spiel.  That has me wondering, do you know if Bono has written all of MacPhisto's speeches or did he have help?

I think it was a collaborative thing. Edge says that in each city "there would be a general discussion about what we might do, with a lot of planning between Willie and Bono". Bill Flanagan implies that he and others contributed ideas for the big Sydney speech.

And yes, Cork is a good one... ;D