Author Topic: MacPhisto Worship Thread  (Read 59238 times)

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2015, 09:35:38 AM »
The tour took a break from London on this date and headed up north to Leeds. MacPhisto encourages Edge with "Go for it, Hank!" during Desire, LOL.

A year after U2's involvement in the Greenpeace protest at Sellafield, MacPhisto praises the northerners for their generosity in taking "the nuclear waste of the world", and phones the Environment Secretary John Gummer so that he can thank them too! Unfortunately he's not at home, but his wife is incredibly polite and patient with all of this silliness. :) (Take note, Uffemann's wife!)

There's a bootleg video of the show You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login; Desire starts at 41:55 and the speech is at 46:24.

Audio links: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (cut off mid-sentence), You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, or listen to the whole show You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #136 on: August 18, 2015, 09:36:21 AM »
18th August and the Zoo crew hopped across the border to Cardiff, where MacPhisto paid tribute to local legend Tom Jones with a brief snippet of 'Green, Green Grass Of Home'. He also points out that South Wales is Edge's "home away from home" and checks how many Evanses are in attendance!

We learn that MacPhisto loves to go shopping in Cardiff. (I went there on holiday this year, and was inwardly amused when the hotel receptionist assumed I was there for a shopping trip.) He speaks about his friend Margaret Thatcher who grew up in a shop and later decided to sell off everything in the UK. :P The phone call is to the House of Commons in an attempt to contact her, but it's the summer recess so the secretary says he'll have to write instead. I love the way he laughs this off with "No, you think I'm an ordinary person!" and claims to know Thatcher personally, which the secretary absolutely 100% believes. ;)

You can listen to the concert bootleg You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Desire starts at 1:43:40, speech at 1:48:06.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2015, 09:56:52 AM »
Back to London for a third show, and MacPhisto reveals that some of his best friends are religious leaders: "They're doing my job for me, aren't they? Putting the children off God." The Church of England had recently voted to allow female priests for the first time, which strikes him as worryingly progressive, so he gives the Archbishop of Canterbury a ring. (I just adore the way he sighs "Ahhh... they make lovely cucumber sandwiches in Lambeth Palace"!) The Archbishop is out of the country on business, though, so as usual he can do nothing but leave a message. :(

The audio for this show is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, with Desire at 1:43:51 and the speech at 1:48:03.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #138 on: August 21, 2015, 09:17:07 AM »
Fourth and final night in London. Another fun snippet of Singin' In The Rain during Desire!

MacPhisto raves about the eventful history of Wembley Stadium, especially England's past glory on the football pitch... as compared to their disastrous performance that year when they didn't even qualify for the World Cup, let alone win it! Their manager Graham Taylor is the chosen recipient of the phone call, but it goes through to his answering machine. (I love how MacPhisto's face keeps switching between devilish smirks and disappointment.) The whole crowd leave him a message in the form of 'You'll Never Walk Alone'! :D

Watch the multicam bootleg video of the show You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - Desire starts at 1:39:28 and the speech is at 1:44:13. There's also a video of just the phone call and Ultra Violet You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login on Dailymotion.

The audio bootleg can be found You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 09:21:25 AM by Canadanne »

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #139 on: August 24, 2015, 09:29:46 AM »
It's Cork day! :D The Zooropa Tour landed on Irish soil and oh, what an entertaining speech we have here. Definitely a favourite of mine!

At the end of Desire, MacPhisto appears to say "Oh dear... up, up, up, up, up, up, up, up!", then "You fell over, didn't you?" and later "Who stuffed those cannons?" I would love to know what happened there! Someone must have come a cropper. :)

The Taoiseach, Albert Reynolds (who died last year) is among the VIP guests at this show, so MacPhisto starts by referencing his former career as a ballroom manager in the Irish showband era. And then the hilarity begins. The stadium is owned by the GAA, who banned U2 from selling condoms on the merchandise stands, so Paul McGuinness handed them out for free instead! This controversy becomes the topic of MacPhisto's speech - a fabulously sarcastic rant about the GAA saving the young people from being "carried away on a sea of seed and desire" and "delivered to the gates of Hell in a latex jacket", while closing their eyes to realities such as the AIDS crisis. It's so funny the way he just keeps on going! (And what can I say, I like hearing the old devil talk about sex. :P "Can't you feel it burning inside you... oh baby?") He tries to ring the GAA secretary Frank Murphy but gets no answer as the guy is apparently there in the audience, so he sings him Dana's winning Eurovision song instead! I love the way he sings "postcards to write", for some reason. :)

There's a bootleg video of Love Is Blindness and Can't Help Falling In Love You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. I do hope the rest will show up at some point!

You can listen to the whole show You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - Desire starts at 1:30:38, with that magnificent speech at 1:35:03.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #140 on: August 24, 2015, 06:52:15 PM »
What did I tell you?  That whole speech is textbook MacPhisto right there!  My other favorite parts of that speech - "Rock N' Roll, eh?  They say it's the Devil's Music....it is MY music" and of course "Fine and dandy,  not a willie in sight!"  I LOL'd when some of the crowd responded back with shouts of "Willie!" You can't hide ALL the willies, now can you? XD
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 07:28:20 PM by Kurukira »

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2015, 07:38:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My other favorite parts of that speech - "Rock N' Roll, eh?  They say it's the Devil's Music....it is MY music" and of course "Fine and dandy,  not a willie in sight!"  I LOL'd when some of the crowd responded back with shouts of "Willie!"

That always cracks me up. Such an intelligent, humorous speech, and that's the moment when he apparently finds the audience's level. ;D

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2015, 12:32:47 PM »
Annnd the final stop on the European tour was Dublin for two nights. MacPhisto had been opening Desire with "Honey, I'm home!" at nearly every show since Budapest, but here it has real significance. :)

The speech is kind of an odd one, as it's not entirely in character, with references to "the people who know the real me ... the people who call me 'Dad'". However, it's worth it for the phone call to the Hewson household, which has always been BY FAR the most popular download from my website, so you've probably all heard it! The one with 4-year-old Jordan (and 2-year-old Eve) on the answerphone:
"Hellooo! Nobody's here! We're going on holidaaayyy! Daddy, if that's you, we're not coming home until you take your horns off! Bye-byyyyye!"
D'aww, hehe. :D

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2015, 11:43:34 AM »
22 years ago today was the last show of the Zooropa Tour. :( Don't miss the shivery "Ooooh!" in the middle of Desire, if you like that sort of thing. ;)

Naturally the occasion called for a really good speech, and we got one - quite possibly the best of the lot. MacPhisto starts by humbly thanking all the people who've come out to see them (with a lovely smile!), but then gets all wistful, reminiscing about Someone who "hasn't been round for a while". This really is genius material: the Devil talking about God like an old showbiz mentor! "We used to be so close. People think I've forgotten about him, but... I haven't. I used to find him so inspiring back then. He invented me. I was his most magnificent creation; the brightest star in his sky! Now look at me: a tired old pop star in platform shoes." It turns out MacPhisto has tried to get back in touch, but encountered the usual problem - "he won't take my calls"! And the poor thing gets badmouthed everywhere, even in the local press. :P He decides to phone the United Nations, hoping they can arrange a mediation... only to get a spoof answerphone message having a dig at their ineffectiveness, heh. I love how clearly visible his emotions are - the excited grin when the phone is answered, and the way his face falls upon hearing "I'm sorry, we're closed for lunch"! You really believe he needs a hug right about then. :) The old rebel then uses a Beatles song to express his desire for a second chance ("Help me get my feet back off the ground"). I'd take him back, wouldn't you?!

There's a pretty great multicam bootleg video of this show You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (Desire starts at 1:36:19), or you can watch individual videos of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ("Regrets, I've had a few...")

The audio bootleg is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

So that's it for the concert anniversary posts, until November... thanks for sharing your thoughts along the way, and please continue to do so!

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2015, 07:25:22 PM »
22 years ago today was the last show of the Zooropa Tour. :( Don't miss the shivery "Ooooh!" in the middle of Desire, if you like that sort of thing. ;)

You know I do! ;D

In all seriousness, that concert is  the second most well known of Zoo TV because it broadcasted live on the radio all over the world.  I'm proud to own a copy of the actual broadcast, retrieved via torrent because the tape I had it on originally couldn't survive my overuse, haha.  I remember that day so clearly, but I already told that story here so I won't repeat it.  That speech he did was great but the Cork one for me is better.  Every speech MacPhisto does is special in their own way, haha!

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »
The two Dublin speeches are phenomenal. Especially the second night, of course. It's my favorite speech of his, and hearing it made me realize how developed a character MacPhisto was. I never understood who he was talking about though, I guess it makes sense that it's God. This is also the only full bootleg I have, because it's well-recorded AND because of the MacPhisto performances.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2015, 08:07:26 PM »

You know I do! ;D

As do I, my dear, as do I. ;D

In all seriousness, that concert is  the second most well known of Zoo TV because it broadcasted live on the radio all over the world.  I'm proud to own a copy of the actual broadcast, retrieved via torrent because the tape I had it on originally couldn't survive my overuse, haha.  I remember that day so clearly, but I already told that story here so I won't repeat it.  That speech he did was great but the Cork one for me is better.  Every speech MacPhisto does is special in their own way, haha!

I'm surprised they didn't broadcast this one on TV, actually.

Some of the other speeches are probably my personal favourites (and of course I love them all!), but I think this might be the cleverest one. So many ideas woven perfectly together.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2015, 08:18:11 PM »
The two Dublin speeches are phenomenal. Especially the second night, of course. It's my favorite speech of his, and hearing it made me realize how developed a character MacPhisto was. I never understood who he was talking about though, I guess it makes sense that it's God.

The reference to MacPhisto being "the brightest star in His sky" is a particularly nice touch ('Lucifer' being a name for the morning star - i.e. Venus, the brightest object in the sky - as well as the Devil before his fall).

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #148 on: September 12, 2015, 03:55:28 PM »
Ha, 16 years ago I posted this question in a U2 discussion group:
"Is there anywhere I can read transcripts of MacPhisto's phone calls? Miserably I have not been a U2 fan long enough to see any ZooTV shows except the Sydney one on the video. I need more!!"
Pity I can't go back in time and reply to my poor deprived teenage self with a link to my own website! :D

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2015, 12:27:28 PM »
Watching recent Lemmy from Motorhead performance in Texas recently reminded me a lot of what MacPhisto was going for:

Sending out luv to him and macphisto