Author Topic: MacPhisto Worship Thread  (Read 59006 times)

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
I had three MacPhistos in my room at university. :) It's a wonder I ever got anything done... just as well YouTube didn't exist back then!

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #151 on: September 26, 2015, 12:15:45 PM »
I just heard about Bono bringing a MacPhisto cosplayer onstage in Berlin last night! That hasn't happened since the Elevation Tour, has it?

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #152 on: September 26, 2015, 10:04:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just heard about Bono bringing a MacPhisto cosplayer onstage in Berlin last night! That hasn't happened since the Elevation Tour, has it?
I thought it was the Vertigo tour.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #153 on: September 27, 2015, 09:00:49 AM »
I thought it was the Vertigo tour.

I'm not aware of any such incidents on the Vertigo Tour, but if there's one I didn't hear about, please let me know the date/city!

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #154 on: October 16, 2015, 06:21:10 PM »
Second night in Rome on 7th July, and there is a rather amusing incident in the middle of Desire! Originally I just had the audio bootleg and wondered what on *earth* was going on, and then I downloaded the video and all became clear! (It's not yet on YouTube, alas, and the file is too big for me to share.) MacPhisto finds himself a dance partner in the form of a, um, lifesize inflatable doll which he spots in the crowd ("She looks like my kind of girl!"), and the rest of the band just have to improvise while it slowly deflates in his arms ("It happens to all my girlfriends!", LOL). I love how he says "Do sit down..." while lying his limp lady friend flat on the stage with her legs flopping over the edge. ;D

And now You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login! :)

The You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login has also been recently uploaded.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #155 on: November 08, 2015, 12:37:30 PM »
I just noticed that today is the anniversary of Bono swapping outfits with a MacPhisto impersonator on the PopMart Tour!

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #156 on: November 12, 2015, 12:51:52 PM »
The Zoomerang tour kicked off on this day in 1993! So envious of the people who got to see these shows - best encore ever. Daddy's Gonna Pay! Lemon! And the Aussie and NZ phone calls are particularly enjoyable too. :)

This final leg began with the first of two nights in Melbourne. MacPhisto explains that you need a good gimmick to compete with the likes of Madonna, who was touring her Erotica album at the same time, and whose controversial book 'Sex' had featured naked photographs of her. MacPhisto opines that she is "gorgeous" and asks the audience "Would you like to see ME without my clothes on?" ;D Annnd there's the first reason I love this speech, haha. The fans sound very enthusiastic about his suggestion! It seems that being a rock star has done wonders for the Devil's popularity: "Do you know that before I became a celebrity, nobody found me very attractive at all. Now everybody loves me! All the glitz and the glamour makes you very sexy."

His phone call is to the journalist Derryn Hinch, recently sacked (again) from his self-titled current affairs show, which famously included a segment called The Shame File. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is the real Derryn Hinch; You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is Steve Vizard spoofing him as 'Hunch' on the sketch show Fast Forward. The parody version is what spawned the catchphrase "Shame, shame, shame" (though a lot of people attribute it to Derryn himself), and the crowd clearly find it hilarious that MacPhisto is familiar enough with Australian television to come out with this quote! He phones Derryn at home, much to the guy's amusement (I love the name recognition MacPhisto evidently had in Australia at the time, no explanation required). There's some great banter, with the band offering Derryn a job within ZooTV, which he jokingly accepts before having a dig at his former employers. I think this is one of the rare occasions when 'I Just Called To Say I Love You' is sung sincerely! An entertaining clip that always makes me smile.

The first performance of Lemon gets off to a rather messy start when he sings the wrong line and completely loses his place for a while! Still, what a treat to hear this live... it makes my heart ache that I missed out on such a magical experience...

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2015, 09:44:01 AM »
There are a couple of bootleg videos from the second Melbourne show: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car (which doesn't include the dressing room scene like the Sydney show), and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login is MacPhisto's speech & phone call followed by Lemon. He makes reference to an Australian TV station You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, and attempts to get in touch with her for a health update ("She's a personal friend of mine"), but he appears to have the wrong number... it's Dame Edna who answers the call! "Australian royalty", haha. :) This whole conversation is hilarious, it's just so camp and I love how they much they make each other laugh, along with everyone else! (I have never been able to make out Dame Edna's joke about the "Prince" who has her phone number, though?? What does she say and whom is it referring to? MacPhisto obviously gets it.) He ends up singing her a personalised version of the UK national anthem, and very rousing it is too. I wonder if she followed through with her promise to phone *him* from the stage?! This would not be the last conversation between MacPhisto and Dame Edna on the Zoomerang tour, but it's definitely the better of the two. Really funny stuff. :D And oh, that Lemony goodness. Cha-cha-cha...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 09:46:33 AM by Canadanne »

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2015, 12:54:02 PM »
Ahhh, the Adelaide show. There are so many fabulous MacPhisto speeches and phone calls that I really can't choose a single favourite, but if you forced me to narrow it down, this one would definitely be on my shortlist. :)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login includes such highlights as MacPhisto moaning, MacPhisto pulling funny faces, and MacPhisto doing this with his tongue:

The dear devil then You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to the audience about his insecurities, as he is "finding it very difficult at the moment to meet people... especially young ladies, they're all frightened of me". Awww, don't you just want to give him a hug? And maybe a little more. ;) He decides to phone the Adelaide Crows coach Graham Cornes, who's been "terribly lucky in that department" with a young wife and a baby on the way. Graham sounds very nervous and shy but takes the teasing with good humour, and even tells them off for ruining the pitch! (MacPhisto admits that they're "turning your football oval into some mud", LOL.) In the end he gets showered with compliments and congratulations and it's all just adorable. MacPhisto's facial expressions are wonderful throughout this show - everything from sweet and sexy to creepy and amusing. Gotta love his trollface, haha!

Here's the video of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, with MacPhisto telling Graham "Love to your lovelies!" at the end of their conversation. <3 (Also Larry cracking up behind the drumkit!)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login has a different ending from the amazing Sydney performance, but I like this version almost as much. The bit where he's looking straight up at the sky, getting rain in his eyes is a nice touch. And then there are those intense and seductive gazes into the camera:

Guh, he's gorgeous.

There's another stunning rendition of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, with MacPhisto looking on the verge of tears at one point (just after "that almost makes sense"), and a great "Won't you wrap the night around me-e-e-yeaaahhh!"
And here is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. That girl really messed up his hair with her roving hands!

The whole Adelaide concert can be watched You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, with an audio bootleg You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Offline alsy

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • Spanish Eyes
« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2015, 02:36:13 PM »
 Macphisto in the rain of Munich, June 4th 1993.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2015, 02:53:32 PM »
 Macphisto in the rain of Munich, June 4th 1993.

Oh, lovely! Thanks for sharing! :)

Offline alsy

• Spanish Eyes
« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2015, 04:56:08 PM »
No worries. I think I have a few more somewhere from his first ever outing in Rotterdam?

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2015, 01:47:27 PM »
It's the anniversary of the Brisbane show today. Along with Lausanne, this is the holy grail of my fandom as I've never come across a bootleg of it. :( The quotes in Pimm Jal de la Parra's book give me hope that maybe a recording does exist, but then again maybe he just wrote it from memory. Apparently MacPhisto claimed to be related to the Queen (and to have been her babysitter!), talked about cricket and phoned Allan Border, who remarked that his name "sounds like a hamburger". I would love to hear from anyone who can remember more!

It's also 16 years to the day since I heard my first MacPhisto phone calls outside of the Sydney video - very exciting. :D There were a handful of them on a fansite called Lemon Haze (so if the owner of that site is reading this, my belated thanks to you). I wrote this at the time: "Those MacPhisto sound clips are excellent, it's really great to hear his voice again, saying new things! I also listened to a clip of the Mirrorball Man, which surprised me. It's just Bono speaking in a half-Irish, half-bad American accent, and he doesn't sound anywhere near as charismatic and interesting and wicked as MacPhisto." Heh! Never did grow to like that character at all.

Offline alsy

• Spanish Eyes
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2015, 05:43:50 PM »

I was at the Brisbane show and can remember that he called Alan Border. Was also at the Lausanne show as well. These pictures taken inside the ground, include my mate in the Zoo Confessional Box, flossing a condom through his nose and mouth. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #164 on: November 26, 2015, 04:20:19 PM »
The first of the two Sydney shows took place on this date, and you can watch a bootleg video of the whole thing You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car is at 1:25:50 (this one did include MacPhisto's dressing room!) and the speech starts at 1:31:05. It's a shame the quality is so poor - there are several bits I couldn't make out at all when transcribing it - but definitely better than nothing.

This was basically a repeat of the wonderful Melbourne routine, with MacPhisto attempting to phone his royal friends and getting Dame Edna instead, but you can tell his heart isn't really in it this time - the playful humour seems to be missing, doubtless because of all the tension arising from Adam's absence and the upcoming live broadcast. On the plus side, you get to hear MacPhisto use the F-word and have one of his little rants (about everything Australia owes to the UK, haha), and I like Dame Edna addressing him as "you naughty little devil" and praising the Zooropa album. :)