Author Topic: MacPhisto Worship Thread  (Read 50738 times)

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Reply #165 on: November 27, 2015, 01:14:46 PM »
Happy 22nd anniversary to the greatest concert video of all time, ZooTV Live From Sydney!
I'm guessing I don't need to post any reminders about what happened at this show. :) I would love to hear about everyone's favourite bits of the encore, though. There are too many highlights to list, but here are just a few of mine:

- The entire dressing room sequence. The way he admires himself in the mirror, and stares down the camera right into your soul with that knowing smile.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

He's sexy and he knows it. :P

- The crazy dance in the middle of that song. :D

- Adam being scared half to death when the money cannon goes off!

- "People of the former Soviet Union: I've given you capitalism, so now you can all dream of being as wealthy and glamorous as me. People of Sarajevo, count your blessings - there are those all over the world who have food, heat and security, but they're not on TV like you are."

- LEMON. This performance of Lemon is quite possibly the Best Thing Ever. Sheer bliss from start to finish.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

- The best ever performance of With Or Without You. Passionate, heart-wrenching, perfect. That ending! There are no words for how great this is.

- The intensity of Love Is Blindness, and the female fan who must be giddy with excitement but handles her live-on-TV guest role like an absolute pro. (Has anyone ever found out her name?)

- That stunning falsetto on Can't Help Falling In Love. Still takes my breath away every time.

Offline binary_code

• Stateless
  • Wanna be the song that you hear in your head
« Reply #166 on: November 28, 2015, 05:25:29 AM »
The falsetto, especially on Can't Help... stops time. It's out of this world.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #167 on: November 28, 2015, 06:31:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

i know ... :-*

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2015, 12:19:03 PM »

The Sydney version is going to be my first dance at my wedding.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2015, 03:15:34 PM »

The Sydney version is going to be my first dance at my wedding.

Congrats and have a great day !!  8)

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #170 on: December 01, 2015, 04:25:17 PM »
With the live broadcast done and dusted, the New Zooland shows seem to have a relaxed party atmosphere which makes them fun to listen to. :) The first was a visit to Christchurch on this date. It had been all change in NZ with a recent general election and referendum on electoral reform, and MacPhisto doesn't like change! He phones one of his controversial politician friends, John Banks (I love the local girl in the audience who keeps loudly asking her friend who that is!), but has no luck in getting hold of him, despite trying his work number *and* his home number, which he reads out loud with a chuckle. ;D

There's an incomplete bootleg video of the show You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Daddy's Gonna Pay starts at 42:10 (and includes the dressing room!) but is cut off partway through. MacPhisto's speech is at 45:30. Lemon follows in its entirety, with something-or-other going wrong after the first verse (I can't make out anything except "Edge, we're waiting for you"?), and the mysterious remark "You say that to all the pop stars"! Only the first part of With Or Without You is shown, and then it skips Love Is Blindness and goes straight to Can't Help Falling In Love, which is missing a couple of lines from the start.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #171 on: December 01, 2015, 07:31:51 PM »
I think Sydney love is blindness is my most watched youtube of all time.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2015, 08:12:49 PM »
It's the anniversary of the Brisbane show today. Along with Lausanne, this is the holy grail of my fandom as I've never come across a bootleg of it. :( The quotes in Pimm Jal de la Parra's book give me hope that maybe a recording does exist, but then again maybe he just wrote it from memory. Apparently MacPhisto claimed to be related to the Queen (and to have been her babysitter!), talked about cricket and phoned Allan Border, who remarked that his name "sounds like a hamburger". I would love to hear from anyone who can remember more!

Oh, this is interesting. Someone posted a partial transcript of the Brisbane phone call on WIRE back in 1993:

MacPhisto suggests that he call a friend of his who's pretty
 good at cricket.. and proceeds to call Allan Border, long-time
 captain of Australian cricket team, beloved by all.
Again, Border at least *slightly* surprised, but on the other hand,
 he answered on the third ring.
MacP: Some friends and I were just chatting and the subject of cricket
       came up.. it was the English who invented cricket, wasn't it?
 Border: Yeah, the poms invented the game, but it's come a bit of a cropper
       since then.
 Border: Who's this speaking?
 MacP: This is Mr MacPhisto
 Border: MacPhisto.. sounds like a Hamburger
 Border: Are you in a bar somewhere..
 MacP: Yes, a big one..
 Border: Sounds pretty raucous
 MacP: Yes, it is a loud mother.. (Launch Lemon Intro..)
 (Thanks and goodbye)

So nice to finally have a bit more detail about it! Although it makes me even more desperate to read - and preferably *hear* - the whole thing...

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #173 on: December 03, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
I sure there was a tape of this floating around back in the day - very poor quality though. I had the 12th nov melbourne show on tap which was awful quality but brisbane was worse.

I'll see if I can dig it out some time.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #174 on: December 04, 2015, 01:54:24 PM »
I sure there was a tape of this floating around back in the day - very poor quality though. I had the 12th nov melbourne show on tap which was awful quality but brisbane was worse.

I'll see if I can dig it out some time.

I can't describe how happy I would be if a recording of *any* quality surfaced!

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #175 on: December 04, 2015, 03:49:01 PM »
The second and final New Zealand show was in Auckland, and features MacPhisto at his playful best, with lots of laughter and mischief. :) You can watch the bootleg video You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login; DGPFYCC is at 36:40, with more preening in the mirror, and his speech starts at 41:32. He phones some guy whose garden overlooked the stadium, and who was charging a ridiculous amount of money for people to watch the show from his own homemade grandstand! I particularly like MacPhisto admitting to being "two inches tall", and singing the theme from Neighbours. ;D

It appears that someone jumps onto the B-stage uninvited during the first verse of Love Is Blindness, and rather like the recent incident on the IE Tour, MacPhisto prevents them being dragged off by security and lets them dance with him for a while. He then sends them back and picks out another fan for the usual slow-dance part of the song.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #176 on: December 09, 2015, 11:54:07 AM »
The ZooTV tour reached its FINAL destination on this date! :'( Two nights at the Tokyo Dome to finish this incredible journey. The first show includes a great performance of DGPFYCC - I love his two shrieks of "Daddy's gonna pay!" :) MacPhisto phones the Sumo wrestler Akebono (and delights in pronouncing it as "Akay-Bono"), challenging him to an arm wrestle, which I assume didn't actually happen but I don't know for sure! The best part of the phone call is the sign-off "Love from Mr MacPhisto!" at the end, followed by him shouting his own name a couple more times. Makes me slightly weak at the knees...

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #177 on: December 10, 2015, 03:32:34 PM »
Second night in Tokyo and the very final show of the ZooTV tour. :'( The thought of this tour coming to an end makes me all emotional, even though it was 22 years ago and I wasn't even following it at the time. :P The audio bootleg of the show is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - skip to 1:36:38 for Daddy's Gonna Pay, or 1:41:15 for MacPhisto's speech about the eventful past two years! Larry is introduced as "Boy George's wet dream", which I'm sure he was thrilled about. ;)

MacPhisto makes an unsuccessful attempt to phone his "closest friend", Madonna, whose people had been involved in a nasty argument with U2's people over these dates at the venue. (Now, of course, Madonna's people ARE U2's people!) If anyone here understands Japanese, can you tell me what the automated message is saying, please?

Lemon includes the line "A man builds a city with banks and karaoke", and With Or Without You ends with a snippet of Love Will Tear Us Apart.

Willie Williams remarked in his tour diary that he wasn't sure we'd seen the last of MacPhisto, and of course he was right, with the HMTMKMKM video, PopMart and other little teases since then. :) They probably weren't expecting him to still have such an enthusiastic fanbase more than two decades later, mind you! :D

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #178 on: December 15, 2015, 08:28:25 PM »
Second night in Tokyo and the very final show of the ZooTV tour. :'( The thought of this tour coming to an end makes me all emotional, even though it was 22 years ago and I wasn't even following it at the time. :P The audio bootleg of the show is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - skip to 1:36:38 for Daddy's Gonna Pay, or 1:41:15 for MacPhisto's speech about the eventful past two years! Larry is introduced as "Boy George's wet dream", which I'm sure he was thrilled about. ;)

MacPhisto makes an unsuccessful attempt to phone his "closest friend", Madonna, whose people had been involved in a nasty argument with U2's people over these dates at the venue. (Now, of course, Madonna's people ARE U2's people!) If anyone here understands Japanese, can you tell me what the automated message is saying, please?

To answer your question about the automated message, it's actually similar to the automated number that tells the time in the US.  It's just telling the time, but in Japanese.  I recognized it because I heard a bit of it listening to some internet radio station from there ages ago, haha!  It's quite an incredible end to what was/is without question (with respect to i-E) THE GREATEST U2 TOUR EVER.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #179 on: December 15, 2015, 08:45:34 PM »
To answer your question about the automated message, it's actually similar to the automated number that tells the time in the US.  It's just telling the time, but in Japanese.  I recognized it because I heard a bit of it listening to some internet radio station from there ages ago, haha!

It's a speaking clock?? That is not at all what I was imagining - no wonder I've had no luck in translating it! Thanks for the info!

It's quite an incredible end to what was/is without question (with respect to i-E) THE GREATEST U2 TOUR EVER.

Amen!