Author Topic: MacPhisto Worship Thread  (Read 42246 times)

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Reply #315 on: June 15, 2018, 06:52:13 PM »
Have you reread your comments on the first page of this thread lately? It's like everything you wished for.

I'm sure they are aware of your site and therefore that SOMEBODY at least has been pulling for this.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #316 on: June 15, 2018, 07:34:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Have you reread your comments on the first page of this thread lately? It's like everything you wished for.

What, my wishful thinking about him appearing on this tour as the voice of Experience? I know!! Can't believe I was right all along about that. I mean, it made sense - the clues were there - but I was basically joking, I didn't dare to hope they would actually do it! Was the MacPhisto megaphone a sneaky bit of foreshadowing...?

I'm sure they are aware of your site and therefore that SOMEBODY at least has been pulling for this.

I keep wondering about that. It's hard to imagine that anyone in the band's circle would have seen or paid any attention to my fansite, and it's entirely possible that this is all a coincidence and they just had the same ideas as me. Then again, it's right there on the Internet where someone influential *could* stumble across it, and I'm kind of stunned that all this has happened right after I wrote several paragraphs about what perfect timing it would be. I'll probably never know if I played any part in this or not. It'd be pretty mindblowing if I succeeded in altering the course of U2 history, haha!

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #317 on: June 16, 2018, 07:33:15 AM »
I think things get read to gage what the fans are thinking, Im sure an assistant is given this task but Id say your hard work got noticed!

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #318 on: June 16, 2018, 07:54:13 AM »
I'm sure they know your site exists. I don't know if your ideas had any influence or if it was just a wonderful coincidence but it's not impossible that you had influence.

That aside, the whole thing is rather amazing. Zooropa bequeathed us video cameras so we can film ourselves and each other, and whoa. We are here is the rise of fascism, which feels impossible because that memory is still fresh in our social memory, at least for those middle-aged and older. Fear and division is at an all time high in my lifetime. 1993 seems quaint. Hardly anything to do these days indeed. So much for the beautiful, tragic character. Here is his real face.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #319 on: June 16, 2018, 08:44:30 AM »
You know what else is quite freaky and cool? I wrote a terrible fanfic back in 1999 with MacPhisto as the guest villain, and this was part of a creepy dream sequence:

MacPhisto's voice came again, from a different direction. "Don't believe what you hear. Don't believe what you see," it whispered. Then Ray heard the voice right behind his ear, MacPhisto's breath tickling his neck. "If you just close your eyes, you can feel the enemy."

Little did I imagine that 18 years later, I would get to hear him speaking those lines for real!! I knew they would suit him. :D

That aside, the whole thing is rather amazing. Zooropa bequeathed us video cameras so we can film ourselves and each other, and whoa. We are here is the rise of fascism, which feels impossible because that memory is still fresh in our social memory, at least for those middle-aged and older. Fear and division is at an all time high in my lifetime. 1993 seems quaint. Hardly anything to do these days indeed. So much for the beautiful, tragic character. Here is his real face.

Yep. I was reading the news today and thinking "You really can't make this sh** up!"

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #320 on: June 16, 2018, 09:03:17 AM »
Wow, that is cray.

I have to admit, I don't really understand Acrobat. What I got out of it was encouragement (don't let the bastards grind you down) and the Take This Cup sequence was always very uplifting to me. But my 15 year old self never dug deeper. Who is telling us not to believe what we hear or see? Who is the Enemy? What voice is singing the song?

I still don't feel sure of it but obviously a devil is singing it this year, and I think it was also originally the devil's voice a la Screwtape. That bit I heard as encouragement is the devil framing "them" as "bastards." So it sounds nice to the listener but it's worming his way in.

But, there are soooooo many U2 songs that follow a path of resentment -> betrayal (or considering it at least) -> redemption. Vertigo and UTEOTW being some obvious examples. (And The Playboy Mansion being similar but turned on its head, the opposite).

So even in a dark song, "love" is going to pop up at the end, and it does here too. I don't know what "in dreams begin, responsibilities" means (I know it's a book, but nothing about it), but we finally get to "and I can love, and I can love," which is the absolute classic Bono lyrical climax, the redemption. "I know that the tide is turning round" also suggests a redemption, a change from the rest of the song. But we end with another "so don't let the bastards grind you down" and all I can think is that it's a different set of bastards we're talking about now. Because something changed.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #321 on: June 16, 2018, 09:12:23 AM »
Also, "in dreams begin, responsibilities" calls to mind "there's a promise at the heart of every good dream, it's a call to action, not to fantasy."

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #322 on: June 16, 2018, 10:23:43 AM »
Good stuff here in this thread! 

I just think we have turned into a wacky upside down world and that is the perfect place for Mr MacPhisto to return!

He just needs to tweet now

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #323 on: June 16, 2018, 10:44:15 AM »
So I was wrong, it was not a book but a short story, and its title was borrowed from a part of a Yeats poem, the latter of which is a little too thick for me to glean much from a first reading.

A summary of the short story plot suggests a story of a young man who, in a dream, tries (too) hard to control a course of events on a movie screen (his parents' courtship) to ensure an outcome that has already happened (to secure his existence). Hmm.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:48:25 AM by laoghaire »

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #324 on: June 16, 2018, 08:23:44 PM »
OK, the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login are up to date now, if anyone's been waiting for the Philly shows.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #325 on: June 16, 2018, 08:40:42 PM »
No, I have not been refreshing your page twice daily for those, why do you ask?

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #326 on: June 18, 2018, 08:23:43 AM »
That face, OMG!! Hahahaaa! ;D

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Is "No middle in amongst puddle and piddle" an Irish expression or something?! Google has never heard of it!

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #327 on: June 18, 2018, 08:32:13 AM »
Give the man an Oscar.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #328 on: June 18, 2018, 06:25:50 PM »
Is "No middle in amongst puddle and piddle" an Irish expression or something?! Google has never heard of it!

OK, found a clearer recording and it now sounds more like "No middle in the muddle, just puddle and piddle"... but my question remains - is this an existing phrase somewhere??

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #329 on: June 18, 2018, 06:36:01 PM »
I've never heard anything like it.

Could be satirically damning the middle, the moderate way of compromise and getiing along. Just a puddle of pi*s in the efforts of compromise.

Ah, I only just now read the DC transcript, so that's fitting. Let's hear from any Irish if it's a saying. It's quite perfect for him, dunno if he made it up or not.