Author Topic: MacPhisto Worship Thread  (Read 40966 times)

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Reply #390 on: September 20, 2018, 10:11:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  ;D

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #391 on: September 23, 2018, 05:18:39 PM »
Have to agree with someone on Twitter who said You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login was her favourite speech of the tour so far! So, so good!
-- MacPhisto has learnt some Spanish since 1993. :D
-- Yay, more backstory! We learn that MacPhisto used to live in the Vatican with his beloved Borgias, LOL. "Such fun" - I'll bet it was! :P
-- Reference to "Zooropa"! Wonder if we'll get a proper "Myyyy Zoorrrropa!" at some point?
-- In 1993 he went to Madrid and told them to "Vote MacPhisto". In 2018 he went back to Madrid and made his slogan even better: "Vote MacPhisto for Europe - or to hell with you! That's the ticket..." The way he says this line gives me shivers of the very best kind!!

Very cool to hear Vertigo start with "Uh-huh, a-ha / Uh-huh, a-ha / Daddy's gonna pay for your crashed car" on the second night. :D The speech is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for anyone who hasn't caught up. I can't hear "It's been 39 years, 10 months and 15 days" without expecting the next part to be "since you took your love away"! (I think it's actually 9 months, but who's counting...)

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
  • Joy is an act of defiance
« Reply #392 on: September 24, 2018, 01:12:16 PM »
I was working on the outer fringes of the UK Labour Party Conference today. 
Strangely enough amongst the pro-EU supporters/protesters outside the main conference venue, there were a couple of people that resembled Bono-sans-Macphisto snapchat-app. 
In that they had a blue top hat (either with a yellow ribbon around it or band of yellow stars around it), some blue clothing and, of course, the EU flag.  There was lots of shouting of "B******s to Brexit" (how very Macphisto)
I still think that Macphisto's sales pitch is much more convincing and more humorous.  He is clearly a natural and divides the audience (all those people writing comments on social media, they can't stand him.  All those laughing at his dark humour, they love him)  But these guys did have a glancing look of Macphisto and also Bono with the EU flag for New Years Day.

Too much of the 'globalist showman' can have its negative effects though.
One guy came out in counter protest and made his own pro-Brexit placard with cardboard and a tin of paint.  Needless to say, he had the Union Jack tied as a cape around his shoulders.
(I wasn't doing Brexit - I was promoting a different event to do with equalities and media).

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #393 on: September 24, 2018, 01:38:52 PM »
i just don't like how the tour in Europe has turned into a EU political rally.  I applaud the band's humanitarianism but wish they'd leave politics alone.

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #394 on: September 25, 2018, 04:06:52 AM »
I see MacPhisto as a great orator - he speaks his mind and that makes people uncomfortable and think though things and why things are as they are, even if he has to be devils advocate.

Both MacPhisto and U2 have, as SkankAsu pointed out, been very pro-EU on this leg of the tour.  I'm not sure if it is because Ireland is a very enthusiastic member of the EU and it suits the band as Irish nationals - and they have homes in France too.

Clearly some of MacPhisto's talk has riled those who side with elements of the far-right (via responses on social media to MacPhisto's exploits). 
Having been at the edges of the UK Labour Party conference yesterday, I could feel 'anger' in the air from the left. Because people are passionate about these issues on both sides.
I have read/heard in the UK media that there are fears of social tension and unrest in the advent of anything other than a Brexit that would satisfy the people.  I kind of believed it from the portrayal of the right wing activists in the media (and via the U2 shows - MacPhisto, and showing video clips of right wing protests).  I can now sense there is a move within the left wing to not just counter protest, but to really go in there antagonistically.  I could sense there are some people wanting to 'fightback'.
It's all very well MacPhisto campaigning for Europe (there is the funny side) and U2 promoting the EU and encouraging people to get out on the streets.  I agree with getting out there and being active in promoting a cause close to your heart.  But without boots on the ground, it's really hard to gauge the mood out there.  When the cause is so divisive and the people engaged with it are seemingly wanton with combative protest and counter protest that could easily break the peace, that's when it seems so uneasy.
People have accused U2 of taking sides and not remaining neutral.  I honestly think that they are only doing what other artists are doing - speaking out against the big divisive issues in the USA and the EU.
The only thing is that because they are not always on the ground, their honest heartfelt calls to fans and the wider public who will take note to 'get up and stand up' seem slightly misjudged in the context of how people really feel about politics and global issues - both on the right and the left.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:08:30 AM by 73October »

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #395 on: September 25, 2018, 09:19:38 AM »
I love how these social media video clips are a regular thing now! Something to keep us going in between shows. :)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #396 on: October 01, 2018, 05:44:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login speeches. The first one started out quite well before going a bit pear-shaped at the end! The second went more smoothly - my personal highlights include the way he demands "What's that smell?!" like a suspicious schoolteacher, the Hamlet reference I somehow knew he was going to use (nice to hear him quoting Shakespeare again!), the line "Anyway, how's the DPP doing? They sound jolly promising to me!" which sounds just like something from a 1993 speech, and all of his wonderful laughter, especially the really dirty laugh after saluting Jimmy Åkesson!!

Offline 73October

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #397 on: October 03, 2018, 02:46:42 PM »
Oh, I do hope Macphisto does the 'Maybot dance' at Manchester and London....

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #398 on: October 03, 2018, 05:44:57 PM »
I feel like I’ve not been here to state how greatful I am he’s back lately.  Love that’s he’s back I never thought he’d be back! We willed him back y’all!

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #399 on: October 04, 2018, 07:37:23 PM »
I feel like I’ve not been here to state how greatful I am he’s back lately.  Love that’s he’s back I never thought he’d be back! We willed him back y’all!

We really did!! Still can't believe it's happened, and don't think I'll ever be able to. I literally dreamt it so many times but I always woke up, until now... I am 99% sure I must be in a coma and imagining this entire tour!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login was a great speech, with MacPhisto sulking about reunification and criticising the lyrics of 'One' - hilarious. :D First time he's used a couple of naughty words and phrases, and I liked him calling Bono a "jumped-up little Jesus"! Not entirely sure what his issue is with freckled people, haha.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login sees the return of Sympathy For The Devil, just when I thought they weren't going to use that in Europe! (I did wonder if they might replace Charlottesville with Chemnitz, which is what they eventually have done.) Is this a one-off, or will other countries get their own version? I prefer the more free-form speeches myself, so I hope they don't lean on it too heavily again...

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #400 on: October 04, 2018, 09:38:53 PM »
Here is YouTube MacPhisto opinion piece:

It includes fan made screenshots and links.

I would not even waste my time watching a video with a title like that.

No me neither....the comment section was horrendous.  I think they need their heads examining!

I learnt a long time ago not to read comment sections on the Internet.

I think it contains some screenshots of your Macphisto site.

I'll take your word for it. I have no intention of giving them the views they're hoping for.

They've unfortunately turned MacPhisto into a political mouthpiece.  I prefer the original incarnation of the character from Zoo TV and the awesome video for HMTMKMKM.

Preferring the ZooTV version is one thing, but how on earth do you figure he wasn't political? The current version is entirely consistent with the original.

Honestly, if you’re going to be offended and “not give them the views” because they dare to disagree with Bono, you’re kind of missing the whole spirit of what U2 is about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #401 on: October 05, 2018, 10:06:24 AM »
Honestly, if you’re going to be offended and “not give them the views” because they dare to disagree with Bono, you’re kind of missing the whole spirit of what U2 is about.

If you honestly believe Bono has a "racist hatred of Swedes" that needs to be discussed, you are definitely the one who has missed the point.

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #402 on: October 05, 2018, 10:14:18 AM »
Yup. Not every racist clickbait needs to be "heard out."

Offline Tortuga

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #403 on: October 05, 2018, 10:42:17 AM »
Yup. Not every racist clickbait needs to be "heard out."

Did you watch the video?  People use provocative headlines to get people’s attention.  Just like Bono created a provocative character like MacPhisto to get people’s attention.  I’m not saying I agree with everything the guy said but I can understand where he’s coming from.  A big problem with the way we communicate these days is that people only click on the things they agree with.  This increasing polarization is bad for the world.  I encourage you to break out of your Bono bubble!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline laoghaire

• Staring at the Sun
  • Will you be back tomorrow?
« Reply #404 on: October 05, 2018, 10:58:51 AM »
I don't give a crap about Bono bashing but I'm not clicking racist clickbait. And no, I don't need to give racists more chances to hear their opinion. And I certainly don't need to give clicks if the video is monitized.