Author Topic: MacPhisto Worship Thread  (Read 47395 times)

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
Re: MacPhisto Worship Thread
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2015, 12:30:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

i'd love Macfarlane toys to do some Zoo TV figures.

Of course, the more poseable the better! XD

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2015, 06:32:40 PM »
Great thread! I love Macphisto too. My daughter has been gathering clothing items when she finds them to dress up as him one of these days.   :)
Many years ago I saw an amazing homemade Macphisto doll on ebay. I bought it of course.  ;D I can post a pic if anyone wants to see him.
You must share photos when she dresses up! :D I dressed up as MacPhisto for Halloween two years ago. Lots of fun! (In fact I think I remember you commenting about your daughter when I posted the photo on Interference...) 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The jacket obviously doesn't match the pants and the shoes don't have high heels, but I had a lot of fun anyway!

Also, the dolls are fabulous. I so want the MacPhisto one. Although...

Yes. At least posable enough to do all his moves in LEMON! :D

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2015, 07:15:02 PM »
Great thread! I love Macphisto too. My daughter has been gathering clothing items when she finds them to dress up as him one of these days.   :)
Many years ago I saw an amazing homemade Macphisto doll on ebay. I bought it of course.  ;D I can post a pic if anyone wants to see him.
You must share photos when she dresses up! :D I dressed up as MacPhisto for Halloween two years ago. Lots of fun! (In fact I think I remember you commenting about your daughter when I posted the photo on Interference...) 

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The jacket obviously doesn't match the pants and the shoes don't have high heels, but I had a lot of fun anyway!

I half dressed up as MacPhisto for my first two U2 shows. :) I had the horns, gold trousers and shoes (which I spray-painted and glittered by hand), and a ruffled shirt but it was black, and I didn't do the make-up.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The glitter didn't stay on very well and I left a trail of it everywhere I went, not to mention finding it in my socks even after they'd been washed. ;D

Offline popbonobuzzbaby

• Running to Stand Still
  • Walk out, into a sunburst street...
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2015, 08:34:34 PM »

Also, the dolls are fabulous. I so want the MacPhisto one. Although...

Yes. At least posable enough to do all his moves in LEMON! :D

Yes! I remember you! :D Excellent  ;D Yes, my daughter still hasn't done it, LOL. She has a great jacket, but hasn't found the right shoes or pants.

I so love those dolls.  ;D Someone definitely put some love into them. <3

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2015, 09:36:08 PM »

a friend of mine, the Bono from Austin, Tx's Mysterious Ways Band. Years ago.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2015, 09:41:17 PM »
and a different Dallas TX tribute, With or Without U2. This time the whole band dressed in the Zoo outfits. LOVED those  purple Sgt. Peppersesque jackets!

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2015, 10:26:34 PM »

a friend of mine, the Bono from Austin, Tx's Mysterious Ways Band. Years ago.
Wow, he really looks the part!

Canadanne, you have great horns. Where did you find them?

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2015, 08:09:03 AM »
Canadanne, you have great horns. Where did you find them?

Hmm... good question! I'm afraid I have absolutely no memory of where I bought them, now! I don't wear them to shows any more as they pinch a bit, and I've given up hope of Bono asking to borrow them. :P

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2015, 08:25:30 AM »
On this day in '93, MacPhisto filmed that video message we all want to see on one of the gold sofas at the Hotel Majestic in Rome: "They say he who loves his life loses it. But I say, hate your life enough and you can keep it forever." (Written by Edge, apparently.) I hope so much that this footage still exists somewhere! They also did a completely wonderful You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login with Kevin Davies. You can see MacPhisto and The Fly posing by the mirror in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login at 11:21.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

As far as I know, they still have all the same furniture and decor in this hotel (see Google Images), so you can totally go and recreate this shot if you want to. *g*

This has to be one of my absolute favourite MacPhisto photographs! The look of utter disdain for that cocky young fellow is just perfect. :D

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2015, 12:35:27 PM »
Aaaahhhh, never seen this pic before!

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2015, 03:57:12 PM »
Never seen a full-size version of this shot before, either. :D

This was the date of MacPhisto's famous Vatican City walkabout! Shooing the pigeons (and the people) with a walking stick made out of a curtain rod from the hotel! Oh my goodness. How amazingly lucky were those fans to meet him there, pose with him and get *MacPhisto* autographs?! Talk about being in the right place at the right time! Would love to see what his signature looked like. :D

More pics You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, and there's some video footage on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login at 11:13. "I think there should be photographs of me with the children from all over the world!"

That evening it was the Naples show (where Lemon made its debut appearance as a snippet in the middle of Desire). One of my favourite MacPhisto quotes is from this gig: "Oh look, they have Bo-no's head on the money!" Haaaaahahaha! ;D

The phone call is to the mayor Nello Polese, who was in jail at the time. It's a bit of a mess and I don't fully understand what's going on in this one. Someone at the prison answers the phone but I can't hear what he says, and when MacPhisto asks if he's got the right number, the guy gives a curt response in Neapolitan (which someone translated for me as "Hey man, be jailed"??) and hangs up. After looking shocked for a few seconds, MacPhisto gives a heavy sigh and mutters something like "I think it must be broken - I'm pointing at The Edge but he doesn't seem to be listening", though I have no idea what he's referring to. And they go straight into Ultra Violet. *shrug* (I also can't make out what MacPhisto says immediately after "Would you like to say hello to Mayor Polese and tell him what you think of him?")

Click You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for the video of the show - Desire cuts in at 31:42 and the speech starts at 36:07. There's a different, somewhat better video of the speech and Ultra Violet available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login can also be watched separately. LIB is worth watching for the whole crowd rhythmically flicking their lighters from about 3:20 (or 53:02 on the longer video) to the end of the song. :)

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #101 on: July 09, 2015, 09:42:14 PM »

This has to be one of my absolute favourite MacPhisto photographs! The look of utter disdain for that cocky young fellow is just perfect. :D

I like that one, because of course I'd tap them both XD

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2015, 01:21:59 PM »
The Italian tour continued with a visit to Turin on 12th July. "Do you like... me? I LOVE me!" ;D MacPhisto observes that they only have three Trabants left by this point, and tries phoning Gianni Agnelli to ask for some Fiat Bambini. Someone answers but proceeds to give him the silent treatment after that, so the call mostly consists of him repeating "Hellooo...?" in a rather forlorn voice!

I believe the Ultra Violet clips at 14:47 and 16:12 in You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login are from this show, as are some of the ones used in the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login documentary - I think the first and fourth lines of the "sleep on stones" verse are from Turin, but the second and third lines are from Bologna 2. Guess they couldn't find one performance they were totally happy with. :P

The audio bootleg is up on YouTube - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2015, 01:26:58 PM »
The band briefly left Italy on 14th July to play their final French show of the tour, in Marseille. I can't quite place the tune snippeted in the middle of Desire? It's driving me mad so if anyone has this bootleg and recognises it, please tell me!

The speech and phone call were again football themed, as Marseille had won the Champions League final a few weeks earlier, though it was tainted by a match-fixing scandal involving the club's president Bernard Tapie. MacPhisto tries to give him a call, but no-one answers.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2015, 10:17:54 AM »

The girl pulled up on stage for this concert is extraordinarily lucky, by the way!! She comes on during With Or Without You (57:52), and when it gets to the guitar solo, he actually lifts her right up with her legs wrapped around him! Then they dance and hug for the rest of the song ("We'll shine like stars in the silver light / We'll shine like stars, it'll be alright / Just hold on, hold on, baby hold on tight"). And carry on dancing into Love Is Blindness! Then rather than send her away, he lies her down on the stage and crouches over her for ages - I don't even quite know *what* is going on there! He stands up again to sing the next verse, but then lies down *with* her for the entire guitar solo. They are lost from view for some time, before he pulls her into a sitting position and sings the last few lines to her. Wow - what an experience that must have been...!

WOW!  If I was her, how can you POSSIBLY recover from that?  If it was me, I could never EVER get over that. Every other U2 concert from then on until the end of time would completely pale in comparison to that in every conceivable way.  I wouldn't even bother to go to any other tour, that would be the be-all end-all in more ways than one.  If only we got a better camera angle on that!

Desire is pretty great - I always liked the way he goes "I'm burning baby, yeah... oh yeah... oh yeah".

I can't lie, hearing that part with a pen in your mouth at work can be...interesting, if you know what I mean  ;D (found that out yesterday listening to it - fortunately no one was around)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 11:43:30 AM by Kurukira »