Author Topic: Idea for tour regarding cellphones... Put them down!  (Read 3700 times)

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
Idea for tour regarding cellphones... Put them down!
« on: April 16, 2015, 06:46:10 AM »
U2 fans should unite... and decide unequivocally to leave their phones in their pockets. It ruins the experience in so many ways.

Plus now with Periscope etc... I guarantee you will see people broadcasting the concerts live. Its completely pointless.

We can all wait till the official DVD or whatever... and whats more... just take in the concert with your own eyes...

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
Re: Idea for tour regarding cellphones... Put them down!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 07:25:14 AM »
I'm sure Bono agrees. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I think your request is a little more pleasant though.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 07:35:24 AM »
I'm as big a fan of "put away your cell phone" as anyone, but even I've snapped pictures at concerts.  Not on-going video--THAT'S obnoxious--but certainly plenty of pics.

It's just not going to happen, I'm afraid.  Everyone is their own exception to the rule--or at least enough that it may as well BE everyone.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 09:26:37 AM »
I'm sorry, you can't change the culture of the younger generation. Smart phones are here to stay and part of the fabric of the world we live in now.

For those of us who can't possibly get to even one show across the world, we will love following the tour closely show after show through the eyes of people who want to record and upload. I enjoyed this immensely on 360.

Ignore the cellphones. They were there on the 360 tour but really did nothing to detract. In fact Bono was asking people to use them in place of the once cigarette lighter. You've gotta use the trends instead of bucking against them.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 09:28:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm sure Bono agrees. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I think your request is a little more pleasant though.

He seems to have changed his tune from Vertigo to 360 in my opinion.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 10:24:30 AM »
yeah on the Vertigo tour we were in the pre-smartphone world, and a cellphone picture snapper was considered rude. The first true smartphone in todays sense was the RAZR, released in 2006 as the Vertigo tour was coming to an end, and the iPhone didn't come out until 2007. So by the time the band came back in 2009, smartphones had gone from non-existent on Vertigo tour to ubiquitous on 360.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 11:23:42 AM »
They ruin the atmosphere at gigs, at sports events and other events.....sadly it isn't gonna change anytime soon.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 12:17:39 PM »
I think they kill the atmosphere at gigs too.

I HATE the way the band can be right in front of people, and they feel the need to look at them through a tiny screen.

Whats more... how does anyone think they have a unique angle or an amazing photo.

Ugh.... people...

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 12:20:50 PM »
There's nothing wrong with taking photos or filming video on your phone. Or writing down the setlist on your phone to remember it for later. (I know a lot of people who do that.) People want to preserve the moment or share it with others who didn't get to be there at the time. Ideally, they'll enjoy being there in person while also saving the moment to re-live in perfect detail later.

However, if you're using social media on your phone at a concert, there must be something wrong with you. :D I don't know anyone who does this, but it's the only way that using cell phones at a concert would annoy me.

macfoley

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 01:12:24 PM »
At a Tool concert, if you get caught filming or taking pics, you will get taken out of the venue. I was bodysearched for camera's before I went in at all the Tool shows I have been to. It certainly does make the experience more personal.

It does also state on the tickets, filming and taking pics is not allowed due to the bands request.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 03:52:58 AM »
Tool:  a bunch of tools who feel they need to tell people what to do.
U2: people who believe in freedom and letting you make you own choices.

Live and let live. If you don't want to use a cellphone, don't. Telling other people what to do?  Uncool.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 06:48:21 AM »
aint happenin buddy. you're fighting a battle you cant win. dont get worked up over it just ask the people in front of you to put them down

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 06:53:57 AM »
People in front of you.

The last few concerts I was at... everyone had their phone out. It wasn't just an odd one or two people.

Hah.

And again... they attitude of preserving memories annoys me. Watch the concert. If its worth remembering you will remember it. The best photos are the ones in the mind. Live in the moment and all... not in the future...

Blah blah blah.

Well there goes that crusade :-)

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 07:10:26 AM »
It's not worth worrying about what everyone else does.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 07:36:44 AM »
That is true if we all get a personal show. When you're in it together, life's better when the hands are in the air without cellphones.

You know what would have an effect is Bono saying 'we don't mind you filming, we don't mind photos, but we'd prefer if you didn't do it'. Have seen St Vincent a few times, pre show they always say 'it's better for everyone if you put your phones away and enjoy it'. They're right.

You're right about one thing though... It's not going to happen. And what else is not going to happen is 99% of the videos ever being watched again.