Author Topic: Idea for tour regarding cellphones... Put them down!  (Read 3699 times)

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Idea for tour regarding cellphones... Put them down!
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2015, 01:35:11 PM »
This might sound like a silly idea but my friend has one of those GoPro cameras that you can wear and are ideal for things like skiing etc. He said I could borrow it and I could then record the entire performance and still enjoy the concert and have my hands free to wave about and stuff! I'm not in GA so I don't think its inconsiderate of anything but I'm not sure if I would be allowed it or not maybe.

Offline wolf

• Refugee
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2015, 06:30:55 PM »
I'm glad I don't have a smart phone, and while I do have a cell phone, Its usually turned off. I'd rather spend my time in conversations face to face with other people instead of constantly looking at and checking a smart phone screen. How many of these people film and photograph things that they will never actually go back and look at?

Offline barbiemom4

• Wanderer
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2015, 06:52:47 PM »
 Totally agree,i could see maybe if you wanted to take 1 or 2 pictures but i would not be happy if a whole bunch of phones were raised up and i couldnt enjoy the concert.enjoy the moment,i am sure their will be concert clips or a dvd.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 09:26:53 PM by barbiemom4 »

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2015, 07:30:49 PM »
I feel a bit guilty because at some concerts I mainly keep my phone in my pocket, at least until my absolute favorite song is played then I HAVE to preserve that for posterity, haha!  Here's another good reason I'd keep my phone down - the battery!  As we all know, shooting video eats up the battery, then you'll feel like crap because you won't have enough juice left at the end of the show to call/text friends or family.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2015, 08:52:28 AM »
Some points here are frankly ridiculous. The idea that you should only care for yourself and ignore others is impossible. Going to a concert to be surrounded by 50,000 like minded people is kinda the point. Certainly one of the points. But it is impossible to ignore people around you holding up phones, looking into little screens, when their favorite band is right there in-front of them.

It has been suggested you could politely tell them to put them down. But that is extremely awkward. Do-able... but its like telling someone in the cinema to shut up. Its just an awkward process.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2015, 10:51:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This might sound like a silly idea but my friend has one of those GoPro cameras that you can wear and are ideal for things like skiing etc. He said I could borrow it and I could then record the entire performance and still enjoy the concert and have my hands free to wave about and stuff! I'm not in GA so I don't think its inconsiderate of anything but I'm not sure if I would be allowed it or not maybe.

Please do this!  What show are you going to? If you could upload it to Youtube also that would be great. Living in Siberia I will not be getting to a show this year. If I am lucky enough they might play Australia at the end of 2016, and I might be there then. Otherwise I expect I will miss out altogether. Anything I get to see of this tour on Youtube I will greatly enjoy, and of course I will buy the DVD when it comes out (and they had better do one- they seem to every tour anyway).

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2015, 10:53:01 AM »
I'm glad I don't have a smart phone, and while I do have a cell phone, Its usually turned off. I'd rather spend my time in conversations face to face with other people instead of constantly looking at and checking a smart phone screen. How many of these people film and photograph things that they will never actually go back and look at?

Maybe Apple watch will unobtrusively be able to record the whole show in HD with no one noticing. (Tongue placed firmly in cheek.)

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2015, 11:12:39 AM »

Please do this!  What show are you going to? If you could upload it to Youtube also that would be great. Living in Siberia I will not be getting to a show this year. If I am lucky enough they might play Australia at the end of 2016, and I might be there then. Otherwise I expect I will miss out altogether. Anything I get to see of this tour on Youtube I will greatly enjoy, and of course I will buy the DVD when it comes out (and they had better do one- they seem to every tour anyway).

Going to see them in London in October! I'm thinking about it just for at least for nostalgic value but I'd be happy to try and upload it to youtube! I'm sure there will be plenty of bootlegs but I'm not sure how good the quality will be! Like you said though, they will most likely release a DVD :)

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2015, 12:15:45 PM »

Going to see them in London in October! I'm thinking about it just for at least for nostalgic value but I'd be happy to try and upload it to youtube! I'm sure there will be plenty of bootlegs but I'm not sure how good the quality will be! Like you said though, they will most likely release a DVD :)

Have an amazing time!  I wish I could go to a show.

I do hope that there will be many videos uploaded even after the first night in Vancouver. I'm itching to see how it all unfolds. Following the tour even from the internet is a lot of fun.

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2015, 12:29:48 PM »

I do hope that there will be many videos uploaded even after the first night in Vancouver. I'm itching to see how it all unfolds. Following the tour even from the internet is a lot of fun.

It will be my first U2 show so I'm pumped! Have you ever been to a U2 show before? I'm sure they will tour Australia at some point so your wish will come true!

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2015, 09:42:59 AM »

It will be my first U2 show so I'm pumped! Have you ever been to a U2 show before? I'm sure they will tour Australia at some point so your wish will come true!

I saw ZOO TV in Melbourne in 1993. Then POPMART in Melbourne in 1998. Then they did not come to Australia for ELEVATION. For VERTIGO I was in Russia at the time and missed out. Then for 360 I was so blessed to be able to see them in Moscow in 2010, 12 years since my previous show. Now I don't know what will happen. If they played Europe in the summer I might have been able to make it happen. But I can't get away once the school year starts. I do hope to visit Australia at the end of 2016, so you never know. But I don't get my hopes up too much. If it happens it will be a gift from God.

Offline Mr. Sarajevo 20

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2015, 10:02:45 AM »
I bet there are videos online within 20 minutes after the start of the show. 

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2015, 10:30:32 PM »
More poor quality, shaky video, with poor quality audio, just what we need!

For those people that are saying multitudes of people videoing in front of them doesn't effect their concert experience, are you all 10 feet tall or something? I'm not much above half of that, & someone videoing in front of me can greatly effect what I can see. How about if we gave everyone in front of you a selfie stick, & see how that effects your viewing experience. Not a pleasant experience I'm sure.

Why would anyone want to stare at a tiny LED screen anyway? Enjoy the moment! I have to admit, I'm probably guilty of using my stills camera too much. But I try to limit it to just the first few seconds of a song, or throughout the songs I'm not very keen on (particularly slower acoustic songs). But when I do use my camera I try to hold my camera in front of my chest (I'm usually on a rail), so it doesn't effect those behind me. The only time I can remember having my camera above my head was during Ultraviolet, when Bono was hanging from his steering wheel microphone above us. I had both hands in the air, just like everyone else. I  also dial down the brightness of my LED screen (I'd turn if off if the settings would allow me), to minimise it's effect on those behind me. I don't look at the LED screen at all, I want to be looking at the show! I use burst shooting mode, hold down the shutter for a couple of seconds, & point it in the general direction of the action. Lots of photos quickly. The beauty of digital cameras, some pics are bound to come out well, & those that don't won't cost me a penny.

Must suck for the band too, all those phones pointed at them, instead of the admiring eyes of fans.

One point I will agree with Siberian Tiger on is, wouldn't it be great if the band could release concert footage of each show. Every second of every show is filmed by multiple cameras, to be incorporated in the visual aspect of that show. There must be so much great footage out there. Seems a pity to waste it all after that one night. It would be great if this footage could be streamed online. Whether it's to u2.com members, or people that have attended that show. I guess the band would have to use additional resources to edit the footage, & to upload it. Also it would no doubt be pirated & uploaded to You Tube, which may have an effect of the sales of the band's official concert DVD's. Might get a few more casuals to shows though, if they're blown away by the concert footage. Can't see it happening, but jeez it would be nice. We can only dream.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:33:00 PM by d.darroch »

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2015, 02:35:48 AM »
More poor quality, shaky video, with poor quality audio, just what we need!

For those people that are saying multitudes of people videoing in front of them doesn't effect their concert experience, are you all 10 feet tall or something? I'm not much above half of that, & someone videoing in front of me can greatly effect what I can see. How about if we gave everyone in front of you a selfie stick, & see how that effects your viewing experience. Not a pleasant experience I'm sure.

Why would anyone want to stare at a tiny LED screen anyway? Enjoy the moment! I have to admit, I'm probably guilty of using my stills camera too much. But I try to limit it to just the first few seconds of a song, or throughout the songs I'm not very keen on (particularly slower acoustic songs). But when I do use my camera I try to hold my camera in front of my chest (I'm usually on a rail), so it doesn't effect those behind me. The only time I can remember having my camera above my head was during Ultraviolet, when Bono was hanging from his steering wheel microphone above us. I had both hands in the air, just like everyone else. I  also dial down the brightness of my LED screen (I'd turn if off if the settings would allow me), to minimise it's effect on those behind me. I don't look at the LED screen at all, I want to be looking at the show! I use burst shooting mode, hold down the shutter for a couple of seconds, & point it in the general direction of the action. Lots of photos quickly. The beauty of digital cameras, some pics are bound to come out well, & those that don't won't cost me a penny.

Must suck for the band too, all those phones pointed at them, instead of the admiring eyes of fans.

One point I will agree with Siberian Tiger on is, wouldn't it be great if the band could release concert footage of each show. Every second of every show is filmed by multiple cameras, to be incorporated in the visual aspect of that show. There must be so much great footage out there. Seems a pity to waste it all after that one night. It would be great if this footage could be streamed online. Whether it's to u2.com members, or people that have attended that show. I guess the band would have to use additional resources to edit the footage, & to upload it. Also it would no doubt be pirated & uploaded to You Tube, which may have an effect of the sales of the band's official concert DVD's. Might get a few more casuals to shows though, if they're blown away by the concert footage. Can't see it happening, but jeez it would be nice. We can only dream.

It wouldn't have to be every show. And they could charge a streaming fee (which would have to be less than concert tickets of course). I know I would pay it.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2015, 09:40:43 PM »
It wouldn't have to be every show. And they could charge a streaming fee (which would have to be less than concert tickets of course). I know I would pay it.
Yeah, but if we're going to dream, why not dream big, & make it every show.

After attending a U2 show I often download audio of that show. Listening to this often reminds me of specific events that occurred during the night. This is a great way to reminisce. But usually the audio is quite poor quality. But if we had video, with good quality audio, WOW. I'd definitely pay for that!