Author Topic: Goodbye, U2 recordings on VHS...  (Read 6840 times)

Online briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Re: Goodbye, U2 recordings on VHS...
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 11:46:43 PM »
Nice list - I used to run a huge VHS tape exchange on wire, had so much stuff which still exists and is all catalogued in a box somewhere. I'm sure some of you traded with me at different times, back when I was monsoon@yoyo (though I didn't enjoy trading with folks from the US due to the whole NTSC vs PAL thing which made the duplication of tapes difficult). One day I'll go back and digitize it all I suppose. One day.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 11:50:00 PM »
yea. speaking of NTSC v. Pal. back in the elevation era i bought a NY JT concert, pro shot. i had no clue NTSC or Pal were things, so i jumped on it. oh man when that damn tape didnt play...and then i had to get it converted and pay for it, ONLY TO FIND IT THE QUALITY WAS TOTAL S***. it was pro shot but the thing was like 287th generation tape quality, the tracking was out of whack the WHOLE time. oh wow i learned my lesson from that.

still have the damn thing too.

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 12:44:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I still have U2 A to Z recorded off of MTV in 1997; all their music videos in alphabetical order. How many total tapes do you have? Are you willing to ship them? I'd pay for shipping if there aren't a lot of tapes. Just wondering.

I might be willing to do this. Let me decide what to digitize, and do a count on the number of tapes.
Thanks Johnny. No worries and no hurry.

Offline snailstampede

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 09:38:52 AM »
I would also definitely be interested in paying for shipping on some of these. I still have (and use) my VCR, and would be happy to give them a loving home.

Some titles I'd be interested in:
Rolling Stone 25 special MTV 1992
U2 Zoo TV special Fox 1992
U2 Zoo TV Sydney original broadcast 1993*
U2 PopMart Mexico City original broadcast 1997*
U2 Legends VH1
U2 VH1 Live, 2000
Bono 60 Minutes 2001
U2 Elevation Tour Boston NBA Halftime (Where the Streets Have no Name, Elevation) NBC 2001
U2 SNL 2001 (Beautiful Day, Elevation)
U2 MTV Video Vanguard Award 2001 (Elevation, Stuck in a Moment)
U2 Late Show with David Letterman 2001 (New York post 9/11, Stuck in a Moment, Bono interview)
U2 44th Grammy Awards (Walk On), Bob Dylan (Cry Awhile) 2001
U2's Beautiful Day CBS Slane Castle special 2001

*Definitely super interested in
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:50:05 AM by snailstampede »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 07:20:38 PM »
Wow, I hadn't anticipated the interest in some of these! I'm only just starting the digitizing process,  but I'll be sure to see what I can do to offer these to folks. Many tapes have multiple items, so maybe I'll try and catalog them to more easily offload them. Thanks for your interest, and patience.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 11:57:50 AM »
Ok everyone.  I've pretty much finished cataloging my VHS collection, which I'm looking to find a good home for.  My collection is particularly U2-heavy, so I've listed things below to highlight material that may be of interest.  The first 14 tapes all have something U2-ish on them.  The others have a number of other artists, particularly Depeche Mode and David Bowie.  Only the top four tapes listed are commercially released.  The rest of it is recorded from TV, in varying quality.  I also tried noting issues like partial recordings or quality issues (jitter) that you may encounter.  I'm not interested in fooling anyone into thinking it's all pristine--it's not, but most of it is very good, and fairly rare.  There are a few other items recorded on there, but I think I covered the highlights, below.  There is one PopMart video bootleg in there, too.  I'm interested in selling the whole batch intact.  That's 31 tapes--4 commercial U2 releases, 4 other commercial releases, and 23 recorded from TV, which has a lot of U2/Depeche Mode/David Bowie content.  I should also point out that the George Carlin material (George's Best Stuff, and tape 18) has some language that may not be appropriate for everyone.  The rest should be fine for most U2 fans.  I can't sell the TV-recorded material for a profit, so I'm just looking to have someone cover the expense of shipping the whole batch to them.  We can work out the details once someone agrees to that.

Commercially released tapes - U2:

U2 - Achtung Baby (The Videos, The Cameos, and a Whole Lot of Interference from Zoo TV)
U2 - Numb (video single)
U2 - The Best of 1980 - 1990
U2 - Classic Albums: The Joshua Tree

Commercially released tapes - Other

Peter Gabriel - POV
Peter Gabriel - All About Us
Pink Floyd - The Delicate Sound of Thunder
George Carlin - George's Best Stuff

Tapes recorded from TV - U2:

Tape 1: U2's Beautiful Day 2002 (Slane Concert Special)
Tape 2: U2 WGRYWH video; Rolling Stone 25 MTV special; Sting - SNL 1993; 2 X-Men cartoons; MTV Inauguration Ball 1993 (partial)
Tape 3: U2 Super Bowl 2002; U2 Grammy's (partial); Bob Dylan Grammy's; Depeche Mode MTV Europe Awards 2001; Remy Zero on Letterman 2001; David Bowie VH1 Fashion Awards 2002
Tape 4: U2 MTV Sunday 1991 (3 hrs. U2 videos, incl. Night & Day, A Celebration, and more); U2 MTV News Zoo TV Outside Broadcast Update; U2 MTV New Trabant Artist Clip (partial); U2 MTV Achtung Baby special (History Mix & Interviews); U2 EBTTRT 2 video
Tape 5: U2 PopMart Mexico City Showtime Original Broadcast
Tape 6: Zoo TV Television Show 1997 - 2 episodes; U2 MTV News PopMart Report; U2 Year In Pop (missed intro)
Tape 7: U2 Simpsons Episode; David Bowie Live from the 10 Spot 1997
Tape 8: U2 Zoo TV Sydney PPV Original Broadcast (some jitter)
Tape 9: U2 MTV Europe Music Awards 1997 (beginning to Back Street Boys performance, includes complete Mofo performance)
Tape 10: U2 Year in Pop; Bono & Larry on Letterman 1997 (partial)
Tape 11: A Tribute to Johnny Cash 1999 (includes U2 Don't Take Your Guns to Town)
Tape 12: U2 VH1 Legends (partial)
Tape 13: U2 VH1 Live 2000 (debut of Beautiful Day video, interview with Bono); U2/Bono 60 Minutes 2000
Tape 14: U2 PopMart Detroit 10/31/97 (bootleg video, Larry's Birthday)

Tapes recorded from TV - other:

Tape 15: Depeche Mode on Letterman 1998, Depeche Mode VH1 Behind the Music
Tape 16: Depeche Mode MTV2 Singles Tour Special; David Bowie VH1 Fashion Awards 2003; ER episode
Tape 17: The Verve Live from the 10 Spot 1997; David Bowie VH1 Legends
Tape 18: David Bowie VH1 Storytellers; George Carlin Complaints & Grievances
Tape 19: Johnny Cash PBS Special
Tape 20: Radiohead Live
Tape 21: SNL 1999 (Seinfeld, David Bowie)
Tape 22: David Bowie A&E Live By Request 2002
Tape 23: Radiohead Live from the 10 Spot 1997

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 01:35:32 PM »
Tapes 1, 5, 6 and 8 sound very interesting. I would love to see the original broadcasts of those shows.

Are these in NTSC or PAL?

PatateTony35

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 06:54:11 PM »
Tape 7 sounds interesting, since I'm dying to see the simpsons episode

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2015, 08:15:07 PM »
That episode is called Trash of the Titans. It's from season nine, which is on DVD. Not the best Simpsons episode, but it's U2!

It would be cool to see the original Fox broadcast though.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2015, 08:18:41 PM »
Hey Johnny, You're sitting on some real treasures there, I wouldn't mind some of that myself!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 01:03:19 PM »
Everything is NTSC, recorded from American TV.

Gotta say, I was hoping to find someone interested in the whole batch.  If not, I may consider trying to ship off tapes to different folks, it'll just be a bit more work.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 06:07:49 PM »
A good number of us are American, myself included.  Do you know how many tapes your collection encompasses?  That way I can tell if I might have the space for it if you don't. I should tell you that I have a VHS/DVD recorder, so I could put some of those on DVD.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 06:11:49 PM by Kurukira »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 08:08:09 PM »

A good number of us are American, myself included.  Do you know how many tapes your collection encompasses?  That way I can tell if I might have the space for it if you don't. I should tell you that I have a VHS/DVD recorder, so I could put some of those on DVD.

That list encompasses everything: 23 tapes of stuff recorded from TV, plus the other 8 (4 U2, 4 non-U2) commercial releases. I'm basically looking to get rid of the whole batch, but would rather they found an appreciative home than toss them in the trash.

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 08:14:36 PM »

That list encompasses everything: 23 tapes of stuff recorded from TV, plus the other 8 (4 U2, 4 non-U2) commercial releases. I'm basically looking to get rid of the whole batch, but would rather they found an appreciative home than toss them in the trash.
Still interested, Johnny. PM me if you wish.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Goodbye, U2 recordings on VHS...
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2015, 01:33:09 AM »
I might be interested in a couple of these tapes (probably the same ones as others), but to whoever gets them, it would be great to upload at least opening segments (if not whole videos) onto YouTube. ;)