Author Topic: Goodbye, U2 recordings on VHS...  (Read 6841 times)

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
Re: Goodbye, U2 recordings on VHS...
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 04:12:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

A good number of us are American, myself included.  Do you know how many tapes your collection encompasses?  That way I can tell if I might have the space for it if you don't. I should tell you that I have a VHS/DVD recorder, so I could put some of those on DVD.

That list encompasses everything: 23 tapes of stuff recorded from TV, plus the other 8 (4 U2, 4 non-U2) commercial releases. I'm basically looking to get rid of the whole batch, but would rather they found an appreciative home than toss them in the trash.

Well, we still have a good sized shelf in the living room FULL of VHS tapes dating from about 1999 or so, it's in full view as soon as you walk through the door -  how's THAT for appreciative? 

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2015, 02:25:46 PM »
Just posting this as a requiem for all of the VHS tapes I'm about to trash.  For those you of you over a certain age, you may have recorded quite a bit of material off TV, like I did.  I just went through my stack, and have determined that very little of this requires digitizing.  Still, it was a fun last walk down memory lane before they go the trash heap.  There are a few items I do plan to digitize: the Simpsons episode with U2, my Achtung Baby Videos, Cameos VHS, possibly the U2 marathon on MTV back in 1992, and maybe the two Zoo TV MTV show episodes from 1997 or so.  Otherwise, please give a kiss goodbye to the following...

U2 WGRYWH video 1992
Rolling Stone 25 special MTV 1992
U2 Zoo TV special Fox 1992
U2 Zoo TV Sydney original broadcast 1993
U2 MTV Europe Music Awards 1997 (Mofo)
U2 Week in Rock MTV PopMart Las Vegas special 1997
U2 The Year in Pop 1997
U2 PopMart Mexico City original broadcast 1997
Bono and Larry Late Show with David Letterman 1997 (partial interview)
Zoo TV MTV show (man and machine)
Zoo TV MTV show (what is alternative)
U2 Legends VH1
U2 VH1 Live, 2000
Bono 60 Minutes 2001
A Tribute to Johnny Cash (feat. U2, Don’t Take Your Guns to Town) 1999
U2 Elevation Tour Boston NBA Halftime (Where the Streets Have no Name, Elevation) NBC 2001
U2 SNL 2001 (Beautiful Day, Elevation)
U2 MTV Video Vanguard Award 2001 (Elevation, Stuck in a Moment)
U2 Late Show with David Letterman 2001 (New York post 9/11, Stuck in a Moment, Bono interview)
U2 44th Grammy Awards (Walk On), Bob Dylan (Cry Awhile) 2001
U2's Beautiful Day CBS Slane Castle special 2001
U2 Super Bowl XXXVI halftime (Beautiful Day, MLK, Streets) 2002

There's also quite a bit of David Bowie, Depeche Mode, and a few others.  RIP, VHS.  You might be missed....but not too much.  ;)

Oh wow, you have the love at Slane special???!!  I've been looking all over for that!!  Did they not include A Sort of Homecoming??  And did it not have raw footage, unlike the DVD?  Sorry to be hysterical but I have been looking for that for YEARS!!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2015, 03:40:40 PM »

Just posting this as a requiem for all of the VHS tapes I'm about to trash.  For those you of you over a certain age, you may have recorded quite a bit of material off TV, like I did.  I just went through my stack, and have determined that very little of this requires digitizing.  Still, it was a fun last walk down memory lane before they go the trash heap.  There are a few items I do plan to digitize: the Simpsons episode with U2, my Achtung Baby Videos, Cameos VHS, possibly the U2 marathon on MTV back in 1992, and maybe the two Zoo TV MTV show episodes from 1997 or so.  Otherwise, please give a kiss goodbye to the following...

U2 WGRYWH video 1992
Rolling Stone 25 special MTV 1992
U2 Zoo TV special Fox 1992
U2 Zoo TV Sydney original broadcast 1993
U2 MTV Europe Music Awards 1997 (Mofo)
U2 Week in Rock MTV PopMart Las Vegas special 1997
U2 The Year in Pop 1997
U2 PopMart Mexico City original broadcast 1997
Bono and Larry Late Show with David Letterman 1997 (partial interview)
Zoo TV MTV show (man and machine)
Zoo TV MTV show (what is alternative)
U2 Legends VH1
U2 VH1 Live, 2000
Bono 60 Minutes 2001
A Tribute to Johnny Cash (feat. U2, Don’t Take Your Guns to Town) 1999
U2 Elevation Tour Boston NBA Halftime (Where the Streets Have no Name, Elevation) NBC 2001
U2 SNL 2001 (Beautiful Day, Elevation)
U2 MTV Video Vanguard Award 2001 (Elevation, Stuck in a Moment)
U2 Late Show with David Letterman 2001 (New York post 9/11, Stuck in a Moment, Bono interview)
U2 44th Grammy Awards (Walk On), Bob Dylan (Cry Awhile) 2001
U2's Beautiful Day CBS Slane Castle special 2001
U2 Super Bowl XXXVI halftime (Beautiful Day, MLK, Streets) 2002

There's also quite a bit of David Bowie, Depeche Mode, and a few others.  RIP, VHS.  You might be missed....but not too much.  ;)

Oh wow, you have the love at Slane special???!!  I've been looking all over for that!!  Did they not include A Sort of Homecoming??  And did it not have raw footage, unlike the DVD?  Sorry to be hysterical but I have been looking for that for YEARS!!

From my quick review when I was going through the tapes, it didn't have either of those things. It seemed to mainly be just an edit of the Slane DVD--hence, nothing too special on its own if you already have the DVD. I would have remembered ASOH.

PatateTony35

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2015, 09:48:53 AM »
That episode is called Trash of the Titans. It's from season nine, which is on DVD. Not the best Simpsons episode, but it's U2!

It would be cool to see the original Fox broadcast though.

I'm gonna go rent this episode right now, although I've seen bits and it was incredibly funny!

Offline lemonymous

• Babyface
  • Indietronica artist. Husband. Father. Dreamer.
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2020, 10:54:43 AM »
Hey all... I just happened upon this. Was A2Z ever digitized or do any of you have it?

Offline lemonymous

• Babyface
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2020, 12:33:20 PM »
Sorry just to clarify I’m specifically looking for the 1997 one where they premiered “discotheque”.

Offline Karmamalaga

• Wanderer
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2020, 07:57:07 AM »
Whatever treasure you have, do not throw it away!

I have recorded u2 on VHS since 1982. Many a local TV-interview, by the way.

I just bought an armchair today, from an ad on line. Have it here. The seller was happy, since he / she just bought another one, and I was happy to let the seller get rid of it.

Reminds me of people (parents) who threw their kids' Beatles stuff away.

Offline lemonymous

• Babyface
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2020, 08:11:05 AM »
Or their comic books.