Author Topic: Willies world...  (Read 1668 times)

Offline robu2music

• Babyface
Willies world...
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:20:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Check this out. Choreographer Morleigh Steinberg...? Is Bono going to get his boogie on.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
Re: Willies world...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 10:28:04 PM »

Check this out. Choreographer Morleigh Steinberg...? Is Bono going to get his boogie on.

Oh please NO ! >:(
Crystal Ballroom anyone ?

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 10:29:57 PM »
I think we had a thread about this a few month's back.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 11:10:23 AM »
Morleigh has choreographed the past tours also. If she didn't then Bono would run loose and the other guys would not move around.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 11:22:47 AM »
Morleigh has choreographed the past tours also. If she didn't then Bono would run loose and the other guys would not move around.
The mental picture of this while I'm presently watching 7 energetic children have free time in the gym, hysterical!  ;)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 11:53:38 AM »

Really?  This is interesting.  I didn't know she had any involvement with the tours since Zoo TV (other than being Edge's wife).  Assuming it's true, I wonder if she was involved in Bono's "P.O.W." acting during Vertigo.  I'm trying to think what other "choreography" there's been during the shows.  The guys' routines during Crazy Tonight in 360?  Bono's "character" during Bullet in PopMart?  I'd be curious to know.

However, it is maybe a little lame that a rock band has a choreographer at all...

Offline J_Rock321

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Hiiipower
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 12:50:11 PM »

Really?  This is interesting.  I didn't know she had any involvement with the tours since Zoo TV (other than being Edge's wife).  Assuming it's true, I wonder if she was involved in Bono's "P.O.W." acting during Vertigo.  I'm trying to think what other "choreography" there's been during the shows.  The guys' routines during Crazy Tonight in 360?  Bono's "character" during Bullet in PopMart?  I'd be curious to know.

However, it is maybe a little lame that a rock band has a choreographer at all...

I watched a documentary on YouTube about u2 and they had a choreographer going to the late 70's

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 01:16:25 PM »
Morleigh's always involved to some degree. Gavin Friday also helps quite a bit with the stage routines.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 02:34:23 PM »
For a second I thought this was going to be about Willie starting up his tour diary again and I got all excited. Best part of U2.com.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 03:37:55 PM »
I would truly love to see the process in creating the tour performances.  I know Gavin Friday has always had a credit, though I assumed that was just in the role of being a sounding board/friend for Bono, and ensuring he is hopefully not TOO ridiculous.  It always seemed odd that someone so seemingly arty and uncompromising would be involved with U2's stadium shows.  At least during Zoo TV it seemed to make more sense to me.  360, though, not so much.

But yeah, I think a true "making of" documentary on any of their tours would be essential viewing.  Being able to see the thought process behind song arcs, set design, and performance would be a treat.

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 03:39:56 PM »

For a second I thought this was going to be about Willie starting up his tour diary again and I got all excited. Best part of U2.com.

Oh I'm sure he will soon enough! Looking forward to those.

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »
If you think about it, look at 360. When Crazy was played all of the band were out on the bridges and outer ring while Bono stayed on the stage. Timing was essential to make sure the guys could show us their moves and then get back to main stage before the next song, especially Larry. Who better to keep these guys on target and on time then a choreographer? (And Edge has to listen to his wife!)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:45:54 PM by jenniferh aka jen »

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 11:38:57 PM »
If you think about it, look at 360. When Crazy was played all of the band were out on the bridges and outer ring while Bono stayed on the stage. Timing was essential to make sure the guys could show us their moves and then get back to main stage before the next song, especially Larry. Who better to keep these guys on target and on time then a choreographer? (And Edge has to listen to his wife!)

I hear ya Jen but I gotta say, I agree with Johnny F... this is a rock band not a broadway show... there should be more spontaneity IMO.  But I do get why they do it... just kinda lame and part of the reason why every show often feels the same.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 01:46:57 AM »
The best choreography during that laughable crazy tonight 360 performance was the mass movement to the loos and bars

Offline tom_b1807

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 11:05:54 AM »
This thread has a really interesting title...