Author Topic: So... Who's opening?  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Petejbridge

• Stateless
  • Clockworks and cold steel...
Re: So... Who's opening?
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 08:32:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've seen RATM, Smashmouth, PJ Harvey, Nelly Furtado, Muse and Florence + The Machine open for U2. Good stuff.
Rage against the machine opened for U2?
Yup on Popmart first U.S. leg.  I saw em in Eugene oregon

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 08:40:46 AM »
They must have done the math and decided it would be most profitable without and opening act. If the tour is 98% sold out, I think that last 2% is more than offset by having no opening act for 70 shows.

Cheers,

J

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 08:55:57 AM »
Because clearly U2 needs opening acts to sell out, or what ?

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 09:06:40 AM »
The logistics of playing these short residency runs probably made it impractical to have opening acts.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 09:13:49 AM »
Garbage was good

Quote of the year.

Just pointing the irony in the use of words  ;)

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 09:17:14 AM »
I am still angry about missing U2 and Garbage together. Shirley is my #1 crush, no pun intended, and has been since 1995.

Offline Bhawx10

• Stateless
  • Everything You Know is Wrong
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2015, 09:17:43 AM »
It'd be sweet if other bands that are in town opened up for them. Sadly Grateful Dead will be in Chicago when U2 comes.

Offline threechords

• Wanderer
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2015, 09:32:10 AM »
So what time do you think the show starts now?  I have seen them 52 times now and I think that the mean start time is 8:50 local.  Of course some are a touch earlier and a few were after 9.  Anyway, so what time.  Anything that is before 8:50 is sweet. 

Do you think no opening act will mean they will start sooner?  I can't see them starting at the time of the ticket do you?  I don't think I have ever looked at the time on the ticket in my life.  For GA we had to listen to the opening acts but for seats if we did them we would show up at 8:30.

Can't wait to see the start times.  I am thrilled no opening act. 

Offline HolyHandGrenade

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 09:50:49 AM »
Guys...

GUYS...

DALTON BROTHERS.

Offline BreckBoy

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 10:13:45 AM »
I used to see Shirley Manson at Cafe Montmartre and other bars around Madison, WI back in the day. She lived there for a long time because Vig's Smart Studios was there. Nice lady. Loved a good drink.

Offline UnknownCaller98

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2015, 10:23:11 AM »
Good, opening acts are usually boring in my opinion and just make you want the actual show to start.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2015, 12:10:45 PM »
I just can't get my head around people not wanting a support act, it's more music for your buck....often the bands are really good....Glasvegas for example on the last tour were a tour de force....

I have to say though that in my experience u2 fans seems generally less receptive to the support acts than fans of other bands I have seen....

I remember at Cardiff on the last tour the lead singer of The Hours (who played a good set) berating a group of fans close to the stage for coming to a rock n roll show and 'sitting f****** down' (I quote) I have seen very apathetic reactions to bands before Starsailor played a blistering set in support at Cardiff on vertigo to a disinterested crowd....The Killers came out and we're ok but got a rapturous reception.

I like seeing the support acts myself.

Each to their own I suppose.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 12:15:05 PM by an tha »

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2015, 12:16:49 PM »
The thing I like about support acts is that if you aren't familiar with them, there's a chance that you might hear something you like and become a fan as a result (or, if not that degree, maybe find a song or two that you like out of their set and download later). The opposite, of course, is that the act isn't that great and you get anxious waiting for the main one!

I can see the benefits of both, but if an earlier start time is part of the equation, then that might be a factor too. Otherwise, I'm all for a support act if I'm waiting all that time anyway... doesn't mean I have to like them though!

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2015, 12:22:05 PM »
I used to see Shirley Manson at Cafe Montmartre and other bars around Madison, WI back in the day. She lived there for a long time because Vig's Smart Studios was there. Nice lady. Loved a good drink.

LUCK DOG! She's always seemed great with with people. She LOVES her fans.

Offline jampot

• Babyface
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2015, 12:24:35 PM »
Sure I read somewhere that the hothouse flowers were supporting U2 on a few of the London shows....