Author Topic: So... Who's opening?  (Read 2300 times)

An Cat Dubh

Re: So... Who's opening?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2015, 01:25:08 PM »
No support. Posted on the @U2 homepage.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2015, 03:26:36 PM »
The Hype.

meximofo

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2015, 03:29:39 PM »
The Virgin Prunes!

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2015, 03:30:00 PM »
I like this format, an evening with U2. Though some good openers in the 40 U2 gigs I've been to since '92...notably Public Enemy, Big Audio Dynamite, and Oasis.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
A suggestion. Bono could come out on his own for 30 minutes, as a kind of lecture, and do a talk about his charity red. Then get the audience to participate in wearing a mask of some leader under house arrest etc. Then do a section on hiv and Africa and really get it all out of his system. That would be a reasonable opener before the gig starts that would interest a lot of people.

Then the rest of us could turn up for the main event, that is, an unadulterated wall of u2's finest rock and roll showmanship and hits, 100% guilt free escapism.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2015, 04:08:05 PM »
So are they playing a longer set that equates to support plus main show, or are we getting less live music for our money?

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2015, 04:08:53 PM »
Getting the same as ever from the look of it. Minus support. That's poor.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2015, 04:29:15 PM »
Yep. Thought they would have at least extended the intermission, to string the show out a bit. But even that doesn't seem to be the case. Guess we can be back in bed early, well rested, & ready to do it all over again for night 2.

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2015, 07:33:32 PM »
I honestly don't know what people REALISTICLY expected.

I don't think Bono is up to a longer show. End of story.

Also, I couldn't care less about a support act. I have been to a lot of concerts, and I've only once ever even remotely enjoyed a support act (Temper Trap). I'm glad there's no garbage on before U2.

Offline 2HeartsBoston

• Wanderer
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2015, 07:47:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I honestly don't know what people REALISTICLY expected.

I don't think Bono is up to a longer show. End of story.

Also, I couldn't care less about a support act. I have been to a lot of concerts, and I've only once ever even remotely enjoyed a support act (Temper Trap). I'm glad there's no garbage on before U2.
In the last 20 yrs of tours I have not enjoyed any opener for U2
However way back on the 3rd leg of The Joshua Tree / Stadiums
We got Little Steven " I don't want to play Sun City"
The Pogues  Nuf Ced
And then U2
It was the Best Outdoor Show by U2 I've seen the local reviewer Steve Morse wrote the next day they turned the stadium into a cozy concert hall.
As they had one tree hill " for a tour premiere"
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:52:59 PM by 2HeartsBoston »

Offline macky0104

• Babyface
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2015, 01:52:37 AM »
I've enjoyed plenty of U2 support acts such as Keane, Stereo MC's, Glasvegas, Elbow to name a few. Only one I didn't like was Kelis on the Elevation Tour.

I think it's pretty off for the fans who are paying a lot for a ticket and also bad form for U2 not to support up and coming bands by helping to raise their profile. U2 talks about it being difficult to "break through the noise"; how hard is it for a new band coming through?

This is one of many ways where the tour is generally turning into a bit of a anti-climax  for me personally with the 2 nights announcement fiasco, staging and set lists  so far. Yes I'm sure I'll have a great time when I get to the shows later in the year and they might have changed a whole lot by that time but at the moment it's all just a bit meh.

Offline RobBankRobber

• Refugee
  • I kissed your lips and broke your heart.
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2015, 09:33:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've enjoyed plenty of U2 support acts such as Keane, Stereo MC's, Glasvegas, Elbow to name a few. Only one I didn't like was Kelis on the Elevation Tour.

I think it's pretty off for the fans who are paying a lot for a ticket and also bad form for U2 not to support up and coming bands by helping to raise their profile. U2 talks about it being difficult to "break through the noise"; how hard is it for a new band coming through?

This is one of many ways where the tour is generally turning into a bit of a anti-climax  for me personally with the 2 nights announcement fiasco, staging and set lists  so far. Yes I'm sure I'll have a great time when I get to the shows later in the year and they might have changed a whole lot by that time but at the moment it's all just a bit meh.

Feeling a little bit of the same.. U2 is such a big band, that you're almost guaranteed to see a band open for them who is a headliner themselves. Definitely more bang for your buck.

There's plenty of talent out there.. Brandon Flowers (The Killers) just released his new solo album on Monday.. Would've been cool to see him open the show.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2015, 09:56:54 AM »
I was thrilled to see Snow Patrol in Moscow.