Author Topic: SPOILER: Official Rogers Arena, Vancouver, British Columbia - Setlist - 5/14/15  (Read 28410 times)

Offline markreed

• Numb
"There are some people who say you shouldn't mix politics and music, sports and politics. Well... I think that's kinda B.S.!" Adam, 1988

OrdinarilyIloveU2

I can't relax at a concert unless I know the artist shares all my political views.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So you don't know what it was saying but you think it was claiming all Americans are racists?

It just felt like a blanket statement to me. I either want a very direct and clear message or just play the song and without the politics. As much as I love BTBS it just seems like it becomes easy fodder for bashing America. I'm not saying we don't have problems but you'd think we're an awful, hate-filled country of violence and oppression based on some of these performances.

Again, I'm not saying that's how it's meant to come across. That's just the impression I had after listening last night and seeing the footage this afternoon. I'm guessing it has more to do with it being opening night and the band having yet to find a workable flow in this area.

This is where I start to come off the rails a bit as a U2 fan. When Irish (including Liam Neeson) start to lecture us about our guns and violence here is America it feels a little condescending and, certainly more than just a little bit, naive. Issues such as Baltimore shouldn't be thrown around cavalierly in abstract forms. They are complicated issues that have a lot of influences that go well beyond race. To simply attach racism to it, if that's what they are doing, seems very simplistic and lacks the thoughtfulness one has come to expect from U2.

I think the the difference between ireland and the USA is that for us here on the Emerald Isle, it is illegal for 99.9% of the population to buy a gun.

And my guess is that it has been that way for much (if not all) of your life and for the members of U2 as well.  By the same token, for all of my life and for the 200+ years prior to that, it has been legal for the vast majority of Americans to own firearms.  As an American, it's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of not being able to own a gun, just as it's probably difficult for someone who hasn't had that right to grasp being able to own one.  The laws in each of our respective countries are on polar opposites of an issue, and they've been ingrained into what each of us define as our "norm". 

I long ago came to grips with the fact that I love U2's music, but don't agree with all of their political stances (I strongly disagree with several of them).  But that's ok.  I'm able to separate the two and still enjoy their music and their shows.

That's fair enough mate, I don't agree with EVERYTHING they say either, but it has never stopped me enjoying U2 as a band.

Offline wik73

• Numb

So you don't know what it was saying but you think it was claiming all Americans are racists?

It just felt like a blanket statement to me. I either want a very direct and clear message or just play the song and without the politics. As much as I love BTBS it just seems like it becomes easy fodder for bashing America. I'm not saying we don't have problems but you'd think we're an awful, hate-filled country of violence and oppression based on some of these performances.

Again, I'm not saying that's how it's meant to come across. That's just the impression I had after listening last night and seeing the footage this afternoon. I'm guessing it has more to do with it being opening night and the band having yet to find a workable flow in this area.

This is where I start to come off the rails a bit as a U2 fan. When Irish (including Liam Neeson) start to lecture us about our guns and violence here is America it feels a little condescending and, certainly more than just a little bit, naive. Issues such as Baltimore shouldn't be thrown around cavalierly in abstract forms. They are complicated issues that have a lot of influences that go well beyond race. To simply attach racism to it, if that's what they are doing, seems very simplistic and lacks the thoughtfulness one has come to expect from U2.

I think the the difference between ireland and the USA is that for us here on the Emerald Isle, it is illegal for 99.9% of the population to buy a gun.

And my guess is that it has been that way for much (if not all) of your life and for the members of U2 as well.  By the same token, for all of my life and for the 200+ years prior to that, it has been legal for the vast majority of Americans to own firearms.  As an American, it's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of not being able to own a gun, just as it's probably difficult for someone who hasn't had that right to grasp being able to own one.  The laws in each of our respective countries are on polar opposites of an issue, and they've been ingrained into what each of us define as our "norm". 

I long ago came to grips with the fact that I love U2's music, but don't agree with all of their political stances (I strongly disagree with several of them).  But that's ok.  I'm able to separate the two and still enjoy their music and their shows.

That's fair enough mate, I don't agree with EVERYTHING they say either, but it has never stopped me enjoying U2 as a band.

All good points. I appreciate most of what the band stands for just come from different histories on this topic.

OrdinarilyIloveU2

Still, I find it rather disconcerting that fans in America can take concealed handguns into the arena at a U2 concert.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
Still, I find it rather disconcerting that fans in America can take concealed handguns into the arena at a U2 concert.

I highly doubt that! There's something called a security check and unless you are law enforcement, you're not getting in.

Offline edge726

• Babyface

I highly doubt that! There's something called a security check and unless you are law enforcement, you're not getting in.

Yep. Metal detectors, pat downs...

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
How else are they supposed to protect their families?

Offline OffAxis

• Stranger in a Strange Land
So it looks like night 1 started about 8:15 local time and night 2 was about 8:30 local?  I'm trying to figure out when to fight traffic for San Jose shows this week.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge

As long as they only get trigger happy during the "Over the counter" and the "100, 200..." Sections of Desire and BTBS respectively then everyone's a winner.