Author Topic: Red Zone not worth it??  (Read 3522 times)

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Time leaves us polished stones
Red Zone not worth it??
« on: May 15, 2015, 01:06:59 PM »
This is what I was told about being in RZ last night from my friend. I will give my own perspective tonight when I experience RZ myself.

I have to say that red zone was sadly not worth it. The GA area at the front was closer to the stage than we were. And the barrier between the two areas was just a metal stand. We were actually in the GA area for a while because it was closer to the stage. Plus there was no bar area as mentioned in the ticket package. Honestly being in the red zone was no better than being in the GA area. It was a very bad set up. If you pay $400 for ticket in a special zone on the floor you expect it the be the best area on the floor and I don't think it was at all. I would suggest getting there early so you can be closer to the front. Otherwise you'll be closer to the end of the stage. I'm going to send an email to the website with my thoughts. I suspect they'll be receiving quite a few!

Offline McSwilly

• Refugee
Re: Red Zone not worth it??
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 01:30:46 PM »
unfortunate, but at least it is for a good cause

Offline weinerdog

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 01:33:20 PM »
Were you hoping it would be by the b-stage? I've done RZ a few times on previous tours, and it's never been the best area in the venue. For 360 it was outside the main ramp and off to the side, so I'd argue for that tour the inner circle was better.

I think that where it is now looks like a pretty good compromise. There is still some front rail, but you can go towards the back and still have what looks to be a good view of the screen and catwalk. I think that's a better spot than paying $400 or whatever it is and only having the b-stage views for about half the show(and no screen).

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 01:50:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This is what I was told about being in RZ last night from my friend. I will give my own perspective tonight when I experience RZ myself.

If you pay $400 for ticket in a special zone on the floor you expect it the be the best area on the floor and I don't think it was at all.
This was not the case last tour (as weinerdog has said). For 360, RZ was a good location, but certainly not the best. I would have expected the same for this tour. U2 doesn't just offer the best spots to those with the fattest wallets (which is nice).

However it is unfortunate that RZ wasn't positioned where it was originally advertised to be, by the e-stage. Would it have been a better spot? I don't know. It would have had some views of the screen, but not great views. It would have been closer to the band when they performed on the e-stage, but far away when they were on the I-stage. The new RZ spot seems to be a compromise. Better views of the screen, while some RZ'ers can get quite close to the band when they perform on the I-stage.

I'd recommend getting there fairly early, & aiming for a spot up against the I-stage. You'll be close to the band quite often, & will have some views of the screen. As RZ isn't crowded, I'd recommend moving at intermission, or maybe even earlier (after 4-5 songs) & racing up to the other end of RZ. So you can see the band better when they perform on the e-stage & catwalk, & you'll have better views of the screen (even though the screen highlights seem to be in the first half of the show).

Best of luck.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 01:56:57 PM by d.darroch »

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 02:22:21 PM »

If you pay $400 for ticket in a special zone on the floor you expect it the be the best area on the floor and I don't think it was at all.
This was not the case last tour (as weinerdog has said). For 360, RZ was a good location, but certainly not the best. I would have expected the same for this tour. U2 doesn't just offer the best spots to those with the fattest wallets (which is nice).

However it is unfortunate that RZ wasn't positioned where it was originally advertised to be, by the e-stage. Would it have been a better spot? I don't know. It would have had some views of the screen, but not great views. It would have been closer to the band when they performed on the e-stage, but far away when they were on the I-stage. The new RZ spot seems to be a compromise. Better views of the screen, while some RZ'ers can get quite close to the band when they perform on the I-stage.

I'd recommend getting there fairly early, & aiming for a spot up against the I-stage. You'll be close to the band quite often, & will have some views of the screen. As RZ isn't crowded, I'd recommend moving at intermission, or maybe even earlier (after 4-5 songs) & racing up to the other end of RZ. So you can see the band better when they perform on the e-stage & catwalk, & you'll have better views of the screen (even though the screen highlights seem to be in the first half of the show).

Best of luck.

I'm with bonofaninaustin & for these reasons: it was much more expensive than last tour, more crowded, narrower & poorly located w/o the close amenities. I didn't expect it to be 'best' location but it was pretty poor value. Only bonuses, good cause, not lining up all day & freedom to go into GA anyway. I've done GA many times & RZ twice now. Wouldn't recommend it.

Re: earlier map - in Van it showed a smaller area right by the front of the stage - that may have been better. Or perhaps some area that spanned from I stage to floor edge. It was just way too narrow & crowded. 

GA is the way to go but with the caveat for this tour - I wouldn't choose the rail or too close to the stage. Keep back a bit in GA (away from the stage) & move where you need to. They move around a lot & too close, you can't see the screens. I think seats North or South look like they have a great overall vantage - I did miss quite a lot from the floor this show.  I'm happy I'll be in seats first level tonight to find out.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 02:30:28 PM »
If the RZ diagram changed after you bought the tickets, and they didn't provide something promised -- here a bar -- that is technically fraud, unless TM has some legalese that covers them.

Please keep us posted on this. That's a lot of money to be the subject of a bait-and-switch. If you don't want to reveal the design of the stage that early, then don't show a diagram. Just call it 'a priority spot' and leave it vague. Otherwise, again, kind of fraud.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 02:40:17 PM »
If the RZ diagram changed after you bought the tickets, and they didn't provide something promised -- here a bar -- that is technically fraud, unless TM has some legalese that covers them.

Please keep us posted on this. That's a lot of money to be the subject of a bait-and-switch. If you don't want to reveal the design of the stage that early, then don't show a diagram. Just call it 'a priority spot' and leave it vague. Otherwise, again, kind of fraud.

Agree - the bait & switch was bad & disappointing. Wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't so narrow & crowded.  Hope others don't have this happen. I'm sure TM has all bases covered - can't see them not doing so.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 02:55:01 PM »

Agree - the bait & switch was bad & disappointing. Wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't so narrow & crowded.  Hope others don't have this happen. I'm sure TM has all bases covered - can't see them not doing so.

Unless it was done on the fly. Mistakes do happen.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 03:04:59 PM »
Yeah, they seem like a rip off now. Probably would not have bought based on current reality. Oh well, what can you do. I'll be on the floor. No bar is another false advertising on their part.

I would rather donate to the charities that I feel passionate about. But, since it is for a good cause, I can let any negative vibes go and have a great show. It is what it is.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 03:16:46 PM »
If it were me, and I had RZ tickets, I would email TM with the concerns listed above, reminding them that the diagram they showed does not match the reality, and that a bar was promised but not delivered on in Vancouver.

I like to bother people who take my money and don't give me what I ask for.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
I may well do that later. 

If you have RZ - still can have a great time (I did - awesome show) - I'd just recommend moving out of RZ into GA where you can move around a bit, as the band does, maximize your views. 

If I were to pick based on what I know now, GA periphery ( no need to really line up) or seats are better. I've got seats tonight & am looking forward to a bigger view.   :D

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 07:56:03 PM »
I hadn't noticed that RZ was crowded (I wasn't there). All I saw was pictures before the show, with the lights on, I guess it got crowded later, closer to show time. Hopefully the problem is resolved, & they make the RZ's larger. Another possibility is that Vancouver 1 had more VIP guest listeners than usual, as it was the first show of the leg. So numbers could be a bit lower for the remainders of the shows? For you guys that were in RZ last night, do you think it was only around 50 people per side, or was it way more?

As for location, people have a right to be upset (& take action if they like). I'm not sure if the original location would have been any better. Yes, it would have had more rail, but worse views of the screen. The best option may have been to have a single, much larger RZ, by the e-stage (or maybe I-stage). Giving people the option of an intimate rail spot, or good views of the screen (hard to get both from one spot)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 07:57:53 PM by d.darroch »

Offline weinerdog

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 08:21:04 PM »
I'm with bonofaninaustin & for these reasons: it was much more expensive than last tour,

Was it that much more? I think I paid $300 or $325/ticket last tour, and I thought it ranged from $300-$350 depending on the market. Is it $400/ticket for this tour? I do see your point about the amenities not being what they were. It does surprise me to hear it was crowded. I think I've done RZ 2 or 3 times, and it never seemed more than 1/3 full.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 09:07:58 PM »
The '09 US leg was auctioned, so prices varied greatly. Places like MSG went for a bomb. But places with low demand went for considerably less. For Phoenix I paid $5 over minimum bid. I think it was around $110 or something.

Offline bonofaninaustin

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Time leaves us polished stones
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 03:06:43 AM »
Well guys, RZ really was not worth the price. I know it is for charity but when you buy something after reading you would be getting this and that (own bar, own restroom) and the diagram looked way different than it turned out, I think most people would be disappointed or upset. Plus, in the beginning it said 50 people per side, but I was told it was 100 per side tonight. I am ok with that, still a small number. It was not good views. I was on the north side with Adam. Bono and Edge never came over to that side. There was a camera crew out in the pit. The majority of my pics include this guy blocking part of the view. The set list was better tonight but had better views in GA the night before. And finally the people who won the chance to take a backstage tour had it cut short or something to that affect. I received an email from RZ team with apologies to everyone.