Author Topic: Thoughts on Opening Night  (Read 650 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Thoughts on Opening Night
« on: May 16, 2015, 01:34:25 AM »
I was there for opening night, and I thought I'd bang out a quick review for anyone interested.

Pros:

Major props for playing 8 new songs. Showed serious stones.

Band did a GREAT job of playing to the entire arena. I was seated 11 rows up from the round stage, and I never felt neglected in the least. The screen/catwalk really facilitated this.

Bono sounded great. Sure, he dropped his share of notes and strained too much on EBW, but he definitely had command of his voice and singing style.

Cons:

It's essentially a new songs/greatest hits show. Yes, that was also true of ZooTV, but the big difference is that the band has a way bigger back-catalog now with more deep cuts to choose from. They should have played Pride and WOWY in '93, but that doesn't mean they should still be playing them now.

A mere 3 songs from the '90s? WTF? Opening night of 360 had 2. Why does U2 continually neglect their best era?

Many of the soundbytes and hits-arrangements seemed tired and well-worn. In some ways Bono seemed to be just drawing from what he did on previous tours.

The intermission sucked. No one could hear anything anyone was saying in the video clips.

The crowd was pretty flat when it came to singing along.

Summary:

I don't have two tosses to give about what oldies my night got. We didn't get One, so what? It should be dropped anyway. What made the setlist better on opening night comes down to one thing: We got the best song from SOI, which on night 2 was replaced by the worst. The Troubles displays so much of what I love about this band: It's sleek and sexy and well-sung. California, on the other hand, disappeared from my SOI playlist after a week.

All in all it was quite similar to 360 in that the '90s were grossly underrepresented while the new material was featured proudly. Although 360 featured deep cuts like TUF and Ultraviolet, which I+E didn't (unless you count The Sweetest Thing (which I kind of don't).

Great show, but loads of room for improvement (which I expect will happen).

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
Re: Thoughts on Opening Night
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 02:27:41 AM »
I like both Troubles and California.

I want them to play as much SOI as possible every night, drop wowy, one, pride, even better, mysterious, b day, vertigo and mix the rest up.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 02:29:27 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I like both Troubles and California.

I want them to play as much SOI as possible every night, drop wowy, one, pride, even better, mysterious, b day, vertigo and mix the rest up.

So say we all....

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 12:14:41 PM »
Also, anyone know if there're any decent quality audio recordings of either show floating around yet?

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 12:31:28 PM »
Great review @ TheExile! Agree on 00's era songs particularly.  I'm hopeful after night 2 that they'll switch things up and keep evolving the show, working out glitches, adding songs.  Hopefully they'll keep the setlist moving/ differing each night in a city, keeping SOI songs including The Troubles. I'm lukewarm about California from the album (although I enjoyed seeing/ hearing it).

Audio will makes it way online soon, I'm sure!

OrdinarilyIloveU2

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 12:48:49 PM »
I was especially hoping for fresh and revitalised arrangements for the oldies on this tour.  It would seem that we're not going to get them. 

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 01:13:28 PM »
I was especially hoping for fresh and revitalised arrangements for the oldies on this tour.  It would seem that we're not going to get them.

I think it's a bit early to judge & I'm hopeful this will play out & expand.  They are doing EBW acoustic w/ mixed reviews. Generally though, they don't really improvise or change much w/ the song arrangements aside from a few (BTBS) and in past tours (Magnificent, Crazy Tonight).

meximofo

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 02:59:37 PM »
Also, anyone know if there're any decent quality audio recordings of either show floating around yet?
JEMS recording is available for download at u2start.

lucas.homem

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 03:05:33 PM »
I think the 90s don't match well with SOI and this tour (opposed to what I thought of the 360 tour). Maybe when SOE is released this will chance, but I don't care if they ignore the 90s right now.

Btw, they should cut EBTTRT and Mysterious Ways and add something else