Author Topic: The realities of set list choices...  (Read 567 times)

Offline TVofTroy

• Stranger in a Strange Land
The realities of set list choices...
« on: May 16, 2015, 08:05:17 AM »
So I'm a junkie just like the rest of you. I listen to the albums all the way through constantly, can hold court on B side discussions, etc. But my wife goes to the concerts with me, and although she is a fan, she just doesn't know as many of the songs. I would have had to explain to her about When Love Comes To Town. She wouldn't know Out of Control. She's probably never heard Acrobat.

I guarantee you that at least half of the audiences at these shows are like her, probably more. There will be a good portion of people who come to the show who have never listened to SOI even though it was on their phones for free, or they listened to it once and not again. I think SOI is GREAT, IMO their best since Achtung. But it had no mainstream hits. The band has played eight new songs each night out of a possible 12 (when you count Invisible, a great song). Expecting more than that is crazy. Expecting more SOI AND a larger selection of obscure songs is lunacy, especially if the band is going to be touring again soon, and with a fan base that is aging.

Keep in mind we are a niche group. Making us ecstatic with set list choices would probably disappoint everyone else. And there are a whole lot more of them than there are us, and they have money too.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: The realities of set list choices...
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 09:00:58 AM »
Yeah true, you can't bombard the casuals with deep cuts & b-sides. But U2 has a pretty vast catalogue, with many songs know by casuals. Many of these warhorses feel old for us, so mixing it up & playing these songs on rotation would be nice. Looks like it could happen a bit (I can't believe One wasn't played).

Beautiful Day - One (courageous/crazy to leave either of these out).
WOWY - AIWIY
EBTTRT - The Fly
Pride - NYD
SBS - BTBS
Mysterious Ways - COBL
Angel of Harlem - ISHFWILF
Vertigo - Elevation (please no)
Bad - RTSS
Streets has to stay

I'd still expect more new songs to be played. We haven't heard Volcano yet. I'd like to hear TIWYCRMN, & would really like to hear SLABT & CB (though I don't like my chances).

Offline badu2fan

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 09:10:05 AM »
Gone or Please would be nice along with Playboy Mansion or Velvet Dress. I do hope they will dust off a pop song.

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 09:24:18 AM »
Me too, I miss Gone :(

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 09:33:08 AM »
The realities are set by the band.

Offline TVofTroy

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 09:57:20 AM »
They're set by the band but the band cares about what most of the audience wants.