Author Topic: Who else thinks Miracle Drug is a top 10 worst U2 song ever?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline BonosTitaniumElbow

• Wanderer
It absolutely baffles me that this song made the Vertigo tour setlist let alone made it on THIS tour some 10 years later.  I just cannot believe that U2 voluntarily plays this stupid song - the lyrics are so banal and the tune is just a throwaway.  It is the epitome of album filler.  How can you eschew anything from Pop - great live anthems like Mofo, Please, Staring at the Sun, Gone... How can you play this over Magnificent or Breathe or Acrobat or Love is Blindness?  Kite?  Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own?  Original of the Species?  Walk On?  Desire? 

It's just mind blowing.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 09:57:22 PM by BonosTitaniumElbow »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Who else thinks Miracle Drug is a top 10 worst U2 song ever?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 09:59:04 PM »
not sure why this is in the tour section but yes, it's a filler song. i dont HATE it like you do <ABOY, AMMAW are the ones i hate> but yea i cant imagine why it would have been deemed worthy to be resurrected.

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 10:03:15 PM »
This song might be the cheese...but it's so heartfelt that it's one of my favorites actually. There is a great story and message behind the songs that gives it the extras oomf.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 10:06:36 PM »
It's in my top ten favorites. I love it!  8)

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 10:07:07 PM »
One of my favorite guitar lines from the Edge. Hit or miss lyrics. Maybe the one song that encapsulates what I love about HTDAAB and what frustrates me about it.

Offline Stateless

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 10:07:59 PM »
I like the song as well.  I would rather have Miracle Drug than Invisible.  While I like Invisible, it seems like the 2 performances of it so far have felt flat to me.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 10:11:01 PM »
I like the guitar solo but don't like the line about "Freedom smells like the top of a new born baby's head."

If the band are trying to go for songs related to 70s era to connect with the SOI theme, I wish they'd go with Exit to match with Sleep Like a Baby, Lemon to match with Iris, and then So Cruel and Dirty Day to go with the "Experience" theme.

I guess they didn't see or consider #U2request.  Miracle Drug was no where on that list and neither was Hands that Built America.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 10:27:16 PM »
There's nothing amazing about the song, but it's not terrible. It has a nice melody, ok lyrics, and a pretty cool guitar solo. Edge sings on it so I give the song bonus points for that.

With that being said, they have a lot of better songs that could take its spot in the setlist.

Offline Petejbridge

• Stateless
  • Clockworks and cold steel...
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 11:03:38 PM »
It's really bad for sure

Offline andyc2111

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 11:04:25 PM »
To be honest, I pretty much hate everything on atomic bomb - real mid tempo rock album with little or no creativity - reminds me of Chris rea or dire straits. Vertigo I can understand being part of the set, I've never understood why COBL gets any airtime and as for MD - terrible lyrics, and U2 by numbers melody and guitar work.

Really hope they start using the rotation parts in the set to do something different - would love to hear Sleep Like a Baby or Reach Me Now, ANYTHING from Pop, Lemon, Exit, Sort of Homecoming and surely they can't ignore Acrobat forever.

Just feeling a little uninspired by the setlists so far

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2015, 11:08:53 PM »
I love the song and I'm glad it's back and it sounded great 2nd show.

Waffles

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 11:27:19 PM »
Never understood the hate. To me, there are no bad songs on the album, but it is a bunch of cliche U2 sounds. Doesnt mean its bad to me.

Offline shanep

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 11:36:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I like the guitar solo but don't like the line about "Freedom smells like the top of a new born baby's head."

I've laughed at that line for years. Pure 00's Bono.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 12:38:00 AM »
Like the album it's from I have no love for it at all.

Pretty poor stuff.

U2 stuck firmly in the middle of the road, not the sort of thing I came to the band for, or the sort of thing I like in music at all.

Edgedisciple

Who else thinks Miracle Drug is a top 10 worst U2 song ever?
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 03:17:54 AM »
No. It's a great song. And the lyrics are not banal, they're one of the most meaningful Bono has ever written. Do a research and you'll see.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 03:20:00 AM by Edgedisciple »