Author Topic: Who else thinks Miracle Drug is a top 10 worst U2 song ever?  (Read 2537 times)

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
Re: Who else thinks Miracle Drug is a top 10 worst U2 song ever?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 04:35:16 AM »
I agree, with their catalogue this shouldn't really feature. Is this anywhere near the top 50 songs they have written? I think Some will say it is, but they are wrong.

And to think they have spent time 're-writing the tune... I hope they don't decide to re-write achtung baby songs for their 2030 tour.

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
  • But I can change the world in me... REJOICE
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 05:32:43 AM »
What.
This song besides being an ode to Nolan's incredible life also pays homage to all us incredible Drs and Nurses ... ahem. No hate from this side of the club. Gret heartfelt tune. But my favourite off HTDAAB is Original of species.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 05:44:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I like the guitar solo but don't like the line about "Freedom smells like the top of a new born baby's head."

Do you have kids ?

Believe me, this is one of the 10 most awesome things you'll have to do in your life, smell the top of your baby's head. Thanks in part to that lyric I was very aware I had to enjoy it while it lasted. I miss it. When kids grow up, they'll smell like shampoo... Hopefully.

Back on the song, I believe it has a special meaning for the band and the guitar solo is good.

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 07:10:34 AM »
With a better singer than Bono, it might work, but I'd much rather hear All Because, or Sometimes, which would fit the mood of the tour far more naturally. In an ideal world, none of the Bomb and ATYCLB songs would feature on this tour, but the pop kids need the bubblegum.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 08:04:33 AM »
With a better singer than Bono, it might work, but I'd much rather hear All Because, or Sometimes, which would fit the mood of the tour far more naturally. In an ideal world, none of the Bomb and ATYCLB songs would feature on this tour, but the pop kids need the bubblegum.

A lot of good pop in their back catalogue.. no problem with them keeping some pop kids happy, just do it more tastefully...  Their judgment isn't what it used to be. And bono's stylists judgement isn't what it used to be.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 08:08:45 AM »
It's one of their best ever.

Nice subject.

Nice riff.

Bono trademark soaring vocals mixed with low tones.

Edge's signature ringing sound.

Edge does some singing.

Slide guitar solo.

What's not to love about this great song?

Cheers,

J

Offline rexstardust

• Refugee
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 08:51:23 AM »
not sure why this is in the tour section but yes, it's a filler song. i dont HATE it like you do <ABOY, AMMAW are the ones i hate> but yea i cant imagine why it would have been deemed worthy to be resurrected.

Bumping this quote because THRILLO nailed it (IMO).  It's fine.  I get the subject matter.  But it will never ever be a song that makes me think "I've GOT to hear this" when I go to a show.  It might not be a bottom 10 song but it's certainly in the bottom half, for me. 

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 08:55:05 AM »
Baby's heads are the most precious thing in the world, I've had this treasure three times.
I was in love with the song when it came out.
If the band wants to play it they can.
They can play Sweetest Thing acoustic three times in a row for all I care, so long as they commit to play Songs of Innocence in its entirety. I'm a big believer in believing in the new material.

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 09:02:54 AM »
It's one of their best ever.

Nice subject.

Nice riff.

Bono trademark soaring vocals mixed with low tones.

Edge's signature ringing sound.

Edge does some singing.

Slide guitar solo.

What's not to love about this great song?

Cheers,

J

Exactly.  Every time I watch it on the Vertigo DVD, I want to cry.  And NOT because it's bad.

Offline Wakebird

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 09:18:53 AM »
I love it too. It looks like a lot of people enjoy it as well. Maybe the band isn't as dumb as you think to play it this tour.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 09:47:46 AM »
Its actually my second-favorite song on Atomic Bomb behind Vertigo, which isn't really saying much because I think the album is way below U2's standards.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2015, 09:48:45 AM »
Its actually my second-favorite song on Atomic Bomb behind Vertigo, which isn't really saying much because I think the album is way below U2's standards. Other than those two and Original of the Species, I could really do without it.

Valley Girl

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2015, 09:55:42 AM »
There's nothing amazing about the song, but it's not terrible. It has a nice melody, ok lyrics, and a pretty cool guitar solo. Edge sings on it so I give the song bonus points for that.

With that being said, they have a lot of better songs that could take its spot in the setlist.

I think this post sums up my feelings best.

Offline DerekBarnett

• Babyface
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2015, 10:11:21 AM »
I would rather see COBL, like Night 1, over Miracle Drug in that spot. The only good thing about that song is Edge's lines. It isnt really a fan favorite and it is not a song that really gets the crowd going. COBL at least has a nice slow, build up to an otherwise great sing along song.

However they need to add more lighting to COBL if it is going to return. I feel like the white lights that lay along the stage and then turn vertical (plus the ones dropped from the rigging) really need to be LED that change color. It would add such an incredible sight to have them change color during COBL, similar to the color changes of COBL in the 360 stage.  It would also be neat to have them just a solid differnet color to give more depth to other songs. Blue or purple for One, red for Rtreets, etc. White is OK for early songs where they use the screen but to have those LED sticks change color would be a great visual.

Valley Girl

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »
Soldier, Soldier would fit well in that spot. (and I don't mean a karaoke version of Unchained Melody)