Author Topic: Who else thinks Miracle Drug is a top 10 worst U2 song ever?  (Read 2538 times)

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
Re: Who else thinks Miracle Drug is a top 10 worst U2 song ever?
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2015, 10:19:09 AM »
Always has been a big "meh" for me.

Paint by numbers U2, with convoluted lyrics that try too hard to say something important.

I liked how Edge did part of the lead vocals, and many people had no clue until they saw it live.

The album in general makes me cringe due to the production and weak lyrics... I hate intellectual tortoises!

However, if I have to choose between hearing MD after not hearing it for a whole tour, or the sonically impotent City of Blinding Lights for the millionth time, I'd suck it up and enjoy MD as the Muzak that it is.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2015, 10:22:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I like the guitar solo but don't like the line about "Freedom smells like the top of a new born baby's head."

If the band are trying to go for songs related to 70s era to connect with the SOI theme, I wish they'd go with Exit to match with Sleep Like a Baby, Lemon to match with Iris, and then So Cruel and Dirty Day to go with the "Experience" theme.

I guess they didn't see or consider #U2request.  Miracle Drug was no where on that list and neither was Hands that Built America.

I really like the line- 'Freedom smells like a top of a new born babies head'. I have been a kindergarten/first grade teacher for 20 years. But, I never had my own child. When the album came out, I told one of the mom's in my class about what is said in the song. I smelled her babies head, and it did smell so fresh and beautiful. I think I also introduced two parents to U2 just because of that line- and they became fans of the boys.

I really love the transitional part of the song where he starts to repeat 'Miracle Drug' at a different beat. My mom, my sister and my best friend are/were nurses. When they played it during the Vertigo tour, he usually dedicated it to medical personnel who help people. That always moved me when they played it before.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2015, 10:23:41 AM »
Unfortunately I think there's 10 worse songs on ATYCLB alone  ???

Offline Number1U2fan

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "we're one..but we're not the same..."
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2015, 12:13:54 PM »
I love Miracle Drug. It's Mysterious Ways, Pride, ISHFWILF, that is sooooooooooo overplayed and flat out boring in concert. They need to go. Return on a greatest hits tour.

Offline jayb77

• Wanderer
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2015, 02:41:21 PM »
This is my toilet break song!!!

Offline EvryPoetisAthief

• Stateless
  • Throw a rock in the air, you'll hit someone guilty
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2015, 03:25:18 PM »
It's one of their best ever.

Nice subject.

Nice riff.

Bono trademark soaring vocals mixed with low tones.

Edge's signature ringing sound.

Edge does some singing.

Slide guitar solo.

What's not to love about this great song?

Cheers,

J

I couldn't agree more. This is one of my favorite songs.

Offline larrys pants

• Stateless
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2015, 03:38:10 PM »
There are a zillion other songs I would rather than this! Don't think we'll see it again!

Offline RobBankRobber

• Refugee
  • I kissed your lips and broke your heart.
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2015, 03:45:52 PM »
Miracle Drug is one of my favorites.. Excellent opening riff, big chorus.. Everything that makes U2 great.

Not a big fan of the "baby's head" line, but I love the rest of the lyrics, especially Edge's "I was a stranger, you took me in" bit.

A lot of the old material some of you clamor for has not aged as well as Miracle Drug, in my opinion.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2015, 06:16:49 PM »
Soldier, Soldier would fit well in that spot. (and I don't mean a karaoke version of Unchained Melody)

I'm hoping TIWYCRMN debuts at some point this tour, I think it'd be a great sing-along song with the crowd because of the chant like chorus.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2015, 06:18:08 PM »
Nope; great song. Not one of the best but underrated.

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2015, 06:41:17 PM »
Jick's post from earlier nailed it for me. Having heard the story of what the song is about, made it a lot better for me as can connect better to the lyrics. Very happy to see it in a setlist. It ties in with the Stephen Hawking thing which is why I think they are using it and will rotate COBL and MD in that slot it would seem.

But how can the band win? People complain when it is a greatest hits setlist but if they play some less mainstream songs, they actually alienate more people, even long term fans as, let's face it, we all have even some U2 songs that we dont like.

Offline ultraviolet5555

• Wanderer
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2015, 07:22:03 PM »
Truth be told, Miracle Drug was my favourite off of HTDAAB when the album was first released.  I since have found that COBL and CFYT are the best tracks (in my opinion), but Miracle Drug is a strong song...much better than some of the other post-2000s ballads (I am sure that I am way in the minority here, but I actually prefer MD to Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own).

This thread is certainly an example of how a band with such a vast catalogue as U2 can never win with their set lists.  The problem when they put in some album tracks from past albums rather than just the hits is that we begin the arguments of "I'd rather [title of another non-single past track] than the one they have chosen to play.  If I recall from the 360 tour, many fans bemoaned the fact that Your Blue Room was added to the set...one of the absolute most obscure songs from their back catalogue they could have played! 

At the end of the day, I think it's great that we are fans of a band with so much rich and meaningful music that no one song choice in a set list can reach a consensus. 

Offline rlabs19

• Refugee
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2015, 08:05:21 PM »
Not one of my favorites. If they were picking from songs that they haven't played in a while, I'd much rather hear something like God Pt. 2, In God's Country, Running to Stand Still, etc.

Offline utool

• Babyface
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2015, 09:14:05 PM »
Miracle Drug cannot hold a candle to Stand Up Comedy, The Playboy Mansion, and, for me, Volcano. Of course, there's also the mess that is Elvis Presley and America, although that one kind of grew on me over the years.

Offline Airuarak

• Wanderer
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2015, 11:55:51 PM »
I love the song... a song about unconditional love... if anyone has had a child that is having tough times, they will find an affinity with the song. But I could see how some people wouldn't like it. My favourite part is when he whispers, "God I need you here tonight"... as if to say that even though unconditional love is just that, it doesn't make it easy.