Author Topic: So Far, No Songs from "No Line."  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Achtung Bubba

• Stateless
  • Achtung, Y'all.
So Far, No Songs from "No Line."
« on: May 20, 2015, 06:51:29 AM »
Looking at the setlists for the first four shows, I see a very, very noticeable omission:  absolutely no songs from No Line on the Horizon.  I haven't been a big fan of the last three studio albums, but I believe this is pretty unprecedented for the band, to entirely ignore the album released immediately prior to their latest album.

Even with the two biggest "course corrections" -- from Rattle & Hum to Achtung Baby, and from POP to All That You Can't Leave Behind -- the earlier album wasn't ignored in the subsequent tour.

• The first ZOO TV show included Desire and Angel of Harlem, as did the subsequent three shows; and both songs appeared in all but ten or fewer shows from the tour.
  • The first Elevation show included Discotheque and Gone, and at least one POP song appeared in each of the next three nights (Staring at the Sun being the other song played), though every POP song ended up appearing in less than half of the shows overall.

Since there's been such a long span between recent albums, skipping No Line entirely means that -- other than the songs from the latest album -- pretty much every song played is more than 10 years old, the youngest songs being Vertigo and the other tracks from 2004's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

It seems like the title track and especially Magnificent wouldn't be out of place in the setlists, and they might be seen as a token nod to the last album (just as Discotheque was during the Elevation tour), but that's sending an entirely different message than not having any No Line tracks at all.

Not sure what to make of all this, but I thought it was worth pointing out.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
Re: So Far, No Songs from "No Line."
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:05:34 AM »
Well, Vertigo and COBL were the only real holdovers for the last tour too, and each of those songs had at least some measure of commercial success that made their inclusion warranted. That and they seem to go over pretty well live, which also gives them something else going for them.

The fact that they rehearsed three songs from the last album to some extent shows they haven't forgotten them altogether though. But I'm guessing that their current sets are stressing the new material and songs that they feel fit thematically within the show. Maybe you could argue that the second set might fit some of these songs at some point, and that may very well be the case. Just have to wait and see!

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 08:36:43 AM »
Given some comments made especially by Larry about how unpleasant the recording process was, maybe they just want to ignore it for now. Those songs probably aren't fitting the themes of this tour all that well too. And given they are playing 24 songs per night and 8 are new, that leaves 16 across 12 albums. Kind of makes sense to leave off the material people heard recently (if 4/5 years is recent) when none of them achieved classic status. Personally, am happier to hear songs like Pride, BTBS and Miracle Drug than them re-doing MOS or Magnificent (my favourite too from NLOTH). Maybe later in the tour for songs like Magnificent or Breathe. 

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:48:54 AM »
They snippeted MOS last night SJ2. I think in due time (once they feel they've hit their stride) they could work in MOS, Magnificent or Go Crazy into the tour theme & setlist but I highly doubt they'd do more than 1 at any given points.  Would love to see them work in cuts from POP & Zooropa too, the former perhaps harder to work into their theme & set lists.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 12:13:30 PM »
Moment of Surrender will turn up at some point and possibly. Magnificent. None of the others will though.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 12:18:35 PM »
nothing from Zooropa was played proper at a Popmart show, the Lemon remix hardly counts.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 02:06:36 PM »
I never expected there to be any songs from No Line. The album didn't produce any hits and wasn't well received by the public. With a U2 show you know they will play the songs from the new album and then they will play some well known hits. Doesn't leave a lot of room for songs from No Line.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 03:14:43 PM »
The fans response for the album during the 360 had always been poor. No reason to play those songs again. And I'm more than happy with it.

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »
I think its a shame, but it doesn't surprise me and it shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

The band were extremely disappointed with how the NLOTH tracks were received live.

I reckon we might get Magnificent at some point.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 05:40:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think its a shame, but it doesn't surprise me and it shouldn't be a shock to anyone.

The band were extremely disappointed with how the NLOTH tracks were received live.

I reckon we might get Magnificent at some point.

Magnificent was a great live song and I'd be surprised if it didn't get played this tour.

Offline Achtung Bubba

• Stateless
  • Achtung, Y'all.
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 03:53:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
nothing from Zooropa was played proper at a Popmart show, the Lemon remix hardly counts.

True, but POP wasn't seen as a "course correction" from Zooropa, the way Achtung Baby was in the wake of Rattle & Hum, or ATYCLB after POP -- and with its animated video featuring MacPhisto and The Fly and the ZOO TV logo, 1995's Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me could almost be considered a non-album track from the Zooropa era.

--

Still, in light of the setlist from Saturday, we could count Lucifer's Hands as a reworked version of Glastonbury, but that's still a non-album track.

Not counting snippets, not a single No Line song has been performed on this tour, and this is after 15 shows.

I'm not sure what to make of it, and it could mean nothing at all, but it IS remarkable -- as in, it's worth a remark.

Offline garyu2

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
Just my opinion but....2 reasons for its absence on this tour....

NLOTH is a pretty bad album, it's "biggest" song basically killed the album before it was released. Breathe was fairly good and that's as good as it gets.

Secondly, the songs were poor live. Nobody cared. Again, Breathe was ok but even that was canned eventually. Magnificent just bores me after as soon as it hits verse 1 and the choruses are weak. Get On Your Boots is kind of an embarrassment.

Bono's melodies and lyrics are at their absolute worst. Ever. Nothing on this album makes much sense.

Songs Of Innocence was a huge return to form for music, melodies, lyrics, depth, production (thank God Eno was nowhere to be found), everything.

Almost a year later, I still love pretty much every song on SOI, but NLOTH is a skipper...everytime.

"Reboot yourself, password, you, enter here". Lol...are you still wondering why this album has been forgotten.

Offline skalichman

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 04:22:02 PM »
I know I'm an outlier on this. But I actually like No Line. It is true that it is not the best of U2. I believe SoI may very well be.. But in the context of contemporary rock albums, I'll keep No Line. I'd I'd love to see them do any couple songs from it on this tour...excepts Boots.

Waffles

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 04:30:21 PM »
I know you will all give me poo, but I strongly feel white as snow and stand up comedy could work very well into the story ie tells

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 05:31:33 PM »
I enjoy a new u2 album like the next fan. But the novelty factor usually wears off quick, only lasting on the play list for 6 months at best.

No desire to hear any of no line. If and when they release another album and tour,I will have no desire to hear any of soi. If they keep including a couple of songs from every subsequent album, the quality of the set list will continue to deteriorate in my opinion.
Better songs from their hey day will take a hit in favour of more contemporary mor albums.
Better that they promote only the latest album and then dig a little deeper into their back catalogue for the real diamonds.