Author Topic: So Far, No Songs from "No Line."  (Read 2384 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: So Far, No Songs from "No Line."
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 05:31:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
nothing from Zooropa was played proper at a Popmart show, the Lemon remix hardly counts.

True, but POP wasn't seen as a "course correction" from Zooropa, the way Achtung Baby was in the wake of Rattle & Hum, or ATYCLB after POP -- and with its animated video featuring MacPhisto and The Fly and the ZOO TV logo, 1995's Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me could almost be considered a non-album track from the Zooropa era.

--

Still, in light of the setlist from Saturday, we could count Lucifer's Hands as a reworked version of Glastonbury, but that's still a non-album track.

Not counting snippets, not a single No Line song has been performed on this tour, and this is after 15 shows.

I'm not sure what to make of it, and it could mean nothing at all, but it IS remarkable -- as in, it's worth a remark.

well, it IS a non-album Zooropa track. it's even written on the album cover of Zooropa itself. i was referring to the album proper tracks.

and Volcano is a reworked Glastonbury. 100%.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 05:34:39 PM »
I know I'm an outlier on this. But I actually like No Line. It is true that it is not the best of U2.

nah, i like NLOTH, i mean UC and the middle 3 aren't good but the rest is 100% a-ok with me.

I enjoy a new u2 album like the next fan. But the novelty factor usually wears off quick, only lasting on the play list for 6 months at best.

No desire to hear any of no line. If and when they release another album and tour,I will have no desire to hear any of soi. If they keep including a couple of songs from every subsequent album, the quality of the set list will continue to deteriorate in my opinion.
Better songs from their hey day will take a hit in favour of more contemporary mor albums.
Better that they promote only the latest album and then dig a little deeper into their back catalogue for the real diamonds.

thats seriously depressing. you never touch the new stuff after 6 months? wow i thought i had high standards. i think the setlists have been improving as the tour goes on with more deep cuts and non album deluxe edition songs.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 05:43:26 PM »
I know I'm an outlier on this. But I actually like No Line. It is true that it is not the best of U2.

nah, i like NLOTH, i mean UC and the middle 3 aren't good but the rest is 100% a-ok with me.

I enjoy a new u2 album like the next fan. But the novelty factor usually wears off quick, only lasting on the play list for 6 months at best.

No desire to hear any of no line. If and when they release another album and tour,I will have no desire to hear any of soi. If they keep including a couple of songs from every subsequent album, the quality of the set list will continue to deteriorate in my opinion.
Better songs from their hey day will take a hit in favour of more contemporary mor albums.
Better that they promote only the latest album and then dig a little deeper into their back catalogue for the real diamonds.

thats seriously depressing. you never touch the new stuff after 6 months? wow i thought i had high standards. i think the setlists have been improving as the tour goes on with more deep cuts and non album deluxe edition songs.

No. I don't use the apple removal tool after 6 months, it just doesn't go any where near heavy rotation ever again. Suppose my point is, next time they tour, if we're lucky enough, I won't be interested in hearing the miracle or ebw, when instead we could be hearing acrobat or a sort of homecoming for example... same goes for this tour... I hope they continue to keep away from nloth in favour of better back catalogue tracks.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 05:52:37 PM »
tahts the thing though, this tours "rarities" have all been post-Pop songs like Sweetest Thing and The Hands That Built...i supposed In God's Country got played which i loved but nothing other than that pre-ATYCLB really. i'm not complaining though when i see a tour i WANT the new stuff. I really do hope they come to Dallas next year so i can see these songs live like i saw NLOTH's in 09 before they nearly all got dropped or butchered.

ill say this. i loved the 360 tour cuz in 09 i saw NLOTH + TUF, UV etc then in 2011 i saw it minus alot of NLOTH BUT! i got Zooropa, HMTM, Scarlett instead. Best of both.

Offline sharebear

• Babyface
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »
I predict No Line on the Horizon, acoustic, will show up within the month.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 09:24:36 PM »
you do mean NLOTH the song right?

PatateTony35

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 11:19:21 AM »
Who cares about No Line we want some stuff from Zooropa and Pop.

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 11:34:16 AM »
Just my opinion but....2 reasons for its absence on this tour....

NLOTH is a pretty bad album, it's "biggest" song basically killed the album before it was released. Breathe was fairly good and that's as good as it gets.

Secondly, the songs were poor live. Nobody cared. Again, Breathe was ok but even that was canned eventually. Magnificent just bores me after as soon as it hits verse 1 and the choruses are weak. Get On Your Boots is kind of an embarrassment.

Bono's melodies and lyrics are at their absolute worst. Ever. Nothing on this album makes much sense.

Songs Of Innocence was a huge return to form for music, melodies, lyrics, depth, production (thank God Eno was nowhere to be found), everything.

Almost a year later, I still love pretty much every song on SOI, but NLOTH is a skipper...everytime.

"Reboot yourself, password, you, enter here". Lol...are you still wondering why this album has been forgotten.
This.
Can't stand No Line,it's aged horribly. I like MOS, Breathe, White As Snow, and I guess Cedars, but that is it.

Offline sharebear

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 10:46:10 PM »
No Line the song.

Maybe with some funky keyboards work.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 01:06:58 AM »
It's the right decision in my book. If they would just jib the other two from that decade then they really would be cooking.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 05:15:30 AM »
No Line the song.

Maybe with some funky keyboards work.

Sort of in the NLOTH2 vein then?

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 08:57:25 PM »
The concert real estate is precious.  Don't waste it on anything from NLOTH.  Just my opinion.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 09:20:42 PM »
The concert real estate is precious.  Don't waste it on anything from NLOTH.  Just my opinion.

Because we need three songs from Boy?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 09:29:01 PM »

Because we need three songs from Boy?

i believe the Boy songs fit more than shoe horning Boots or even Breathe into the set. i was expecting more from the first 3, esp. deep cuts.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 09:39:11 PM »
Can we even call Out of Control and The Electric Co. deep cuts anymore? The two of them have had a live presence since Vertigo.

I'm rather disappointed Another Time, Another Place didn't get a spot in the setlist, especially considering the U2.com subscriber gift is named after the song.

Not to mention I Fall Down, which really has never had a more appropriate time to be dusted off than now.