Author Topic: Set List Sucks - NO IT DOESN'T - I DO!  (Read 18086 times)

Offline acrobatnation

• Wanderer
  • Shout for JOY if you get the chance
Set List Sucks - NO IT DOESN'T - I DO!
« on: May 20, 2015, 09:03:52 AM »
4 Shows now on the tour... Totally underwhelmed. 

* No Volcano?
* Removed "The Troubles"?
* No "This is Where You Can Reach Me"?
* No love for No Line on the Horizon?
* No love for Pop?
* No love for October?
* Limited love for Unforgettable (the best) Fire and it's the ever present, "Pride" and one of the worst versions of "Bad" I've seen!
* Nightly doses of Angel of Harlem (boring!)

Where is the creativity?  We have the best catelogue in the business to draw from.  Playing multiple nights in a city for god sakes.  No wonder people are commenting on the lack of passion from the band.  Angel of Harlem will do that to a man... Replace it with Gloria or Gone or Acrobat and let's get this party started....

CHANGE it UP!!!!

*** I modified this thread.  I was way wrong... See below... I finally get it.  And THANK YOU U2 for Gloria!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 09:18:04 AM by acrobatnation »

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
Re: Set List Sucks - NO IT DOESN'T - I DO!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 09:33:30 AM »
I was at night 1. 95% of the crowd is there to hear songs like Pride and Angel of Harlem. Pride was the song that went over best with the crowd. Everyone was on their feet and singing. The same with songs like Desire, Mysterious Ways, and the other hits. They aren't doing a club tour for only die hards.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 09:35:45 AM »
Um. Yeah. Don't comment if you werent there. The energy was amazing. Between both nights, they played all but 3 songs from SOI. People even sang to the new songs, especially The Miracle.

These shows are amazing and emotionally charging. Had you been there, you would not be underwhelmed at all... Iris is gorgeous and emotional... And the rework of SBS is haunting in an all new way with Larry beating the drum.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 09:51:47 AM »
Really fair comments from people who were there. Of course there is still more than one opinion on that count too.

I'm sure the energy is amazing. The last show I went to was in Moscow, 2010. I hadn't been to a show for 12 years since POPMART (was never in a country where they played for Elevation or Vertigo).  When I look back on the setlist now for Moscow 360, I could really have complained that there was so little from No Line, an album which I still really love. Going into the show I was hoping they wouldn't play Still Haven't Found.

But on the night everything just made so much sense, including Still Haven't Found. Every song rocked the stadium with force, and every song was packed full of emotion that spoke directly to the people present at the show.

I guess you had to be there to understand what I mean.  :)

(Having said that, I really hope that Volcano, Soldier-Soldier and Troubles make it into the setlist.)

(I'm super happy that Bad is there and it sounds like a real healing balm of a performance.)

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 09:53:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I was at night 1. 95% of the crowd is there to hear songs like Pride and Angel of Harlem. Pride was the song that went over best with the crowd. Everyone was on their feet and singing. The same with songs like Desire, Mysterious Ways, and the other hits. They aren't doing a club tour for only die hards.

How did I end up in the 5%?  "Nothing half way" is my middle name I guess. (And yet I pale as a fan compared to some others.)

Offline RobBankRobber

• Refugee
  • I kissed your lips and broke your heart.
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 10:02:47 AM »
I'm sure the shows are great and full of energy, and I'm super excited for NYC in July.

That being said, I would definitely like to see them shake it up a bit more. They went back and visited Boy during the Vertigo Tour.. They went back and visited Achtung Baby during 360. When do we finally get some Pop stuff? How about the full version of Mofo into Iris, instead of just a snippet. Club/EDM music is so popular right now, I think it would work great. So many other great songs on that record as well (Gone, Staring at The Sun, Please, Do You Feel Loved.)

One of my favorite U2 records, and consistently ignored live. Bummer.

Offline achtungx

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 10:33:25 AM »
I still think that "Tomorrow" or "Gloria" would work very well on this tour.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 10:44:51 AM »
My favorite album is October... and it's always ignored... (Well, except for Scarlet's surprise appearance on 360! :) )

Offline avard

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 11:14:33 AM »
^^^]^^^^^THIS^^^^^^   OCTOBER IS.my favorite.   Glad I saw them a few times.on that tour.  I agree TOMORROW>IRIS WOULD BE A MIND BLOWER FOR.ME. I still think this album and a lot of 's lyrics for SOI. CaME FROM the returned book of lyrics stolen on the BOY tour, that ended up with the soul searching in.the.studio that ended up OCTOBER.

Offline habib2343

• Wanderer
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 11:21:31 AM »
Volcano will come,,,and when it does, i will be online to rip it on mp3 and blast it on the way to work..

You are all rock 'n' roll...........

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 11:36:15 AM »
I hope I get Angel of Harlem at my show. Its my favorite song.

Offline Swan269

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • I will sing a new song
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 11:38:35 AM »
I think we will be in a treat for the cities that have 4+ shows.  This is where we should get real change-ups.

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 11:46:38 AM »
So, I was there for both of the first 2 shows.  The band was a bit off on the first night, I think from opening night jitters.  The crowd was good though.

I thought the second night was fantastic; band, crowd and setlist were great.

Offline shesarainbow

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • With a guitar ... on fire.
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 12:27:04 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
4 Shows now on the tour... Totally underwhelmed. 

* No Volcano?
* Removed "The Troubles"?
* No "This is Where You Can Reach Me"?
* No love for No Line on the Horizon?
* No love for Pop?
* No love for October?
* Limited love for Unforgettable (the best) Fire and it's the ever present, "Pride" and one of the worst versions of "Bad" I've seen!
* Nightly doses of Angel of Harlem (boring!)

Where is the creativity?  We have the best catelogue in the business to draw from.  Playing multiple nights in a city for god sakes.  No wonder people are commenting on the lack of passion from the band.  Angel of Harlem will do that to a man... Replace it with Gloria or Gone or Acrobat and let's get this party started....

CHANGE it UP!!!!

Are you being serious?! How about being happy and grateful that a group of 53/55 year old men are still healthy enough, sane enough and enthusiastic enough to perform great music night after night. There are so many things that could have gone wrong in the journey to this point. It's nothing short of a minor miracle that they're still performing at all.

I don't mean to be rude and I do respect your right to an opinion. I am genuinely sorry that you feel underwhelmed but you might want to start appreciating what they are doing rather than bemoaning what they're not doing. The simple and sad truth is ... they won't be around forever.

And creativity? They have it in bucketloads. Sorry, rant over!! Be gentle with me! ::)

Offline sledge2015

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 12:44:42 PM »
This tour is just another example of why you can never trust what comes out of Bono's mouth.  Remember all the hype beforehand about how each show would be divided between night one and night two?  And remember how the look and feel of the two shows would be so much different?  BS.  It's still the same tired old radio hits they've been banging out at concerts for thirty some years.  YAWN!  Please, U2, take some lessons from Bruce Springsteen and try to put on a new show every night.