Author Topic: Set List Sucks - NO IT DOESN'T - I DO!  (Read 18037 times)

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
Re: Set List Sucks - NO IT DOESN'T - I DO!
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 12:49:57 PM »

'The most beautiful sound I'd ever heard ... '
View Profile  Email  Personal Message (Online)

Re: Set List Sucks
Reply #13 on: Today at 12:27:04 PM
Quote from: acrobatnation on Today at 09:03:52 AM
4 Shows now on the tour... Totally underwhelmed. 

* No Volcano?

You know what?  I used to routinely skip Angel of Harlem on Rattle & Hum.  But AOH live, on this tour?  It just makes me smile...and want to dance...and is fun...and makes me live in the moment for 3 minutes.  Isn't that what going to a U2 concert or listening to their music is all about? 

We all know how big their catalog is.  We all know there are die hards AND more casual fans in attendance, and let's face it, they have to at least try to please both.  (BTW, thank you boys, for The Electric Co last night).  Do I want to hear Please and Heartland in the worst way?  Yes I do.  But if I get Bad and maybe The Fly in Chicago, I will be happy.  If I get neither, I will still be happy.  Between Nights 1 and 2 in Chicago, I have forked out about $400 (including fees) just for tickets.  I too am just thankful to have been around the past 30 years to experience music that has made such a difference in my life, and will be thankful to hear them play for four hours over two nights. 

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2015, 01:06:16 PM »
No Volcano?
It's too early. It will come out.

Removed "The Troubles"?
Without having seen a show, it could be a momentum killer. I like this one too.

No "This is Where You Can Reach Me"?
They can't play the whole album.

No love for No Line on the Horizon?
Put people to sleep on 360 to the point they had to drop most of it. Why would they return to it?

No love for Pop?
Their most unsuccessful album to date. Again, why would they return to it?

No love for October?
The album is 34 years old; they are looking to Boy instead.

Limited love for Unforgettable (the best) Fire and it's the ever present, "Pride" and one of the worst versions of "Bad" I've seen!
Bono can't sing most of that album any more. Do you want him to advertise that for everyone to hear?

Nightly doses of Angel of Harlem (boring!)
I've seen U2 six times and never heard this one.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2015, 01:09:33 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This tour is just another example of why you can never trust what comes out of Bono's mouth.  Remember all the hype beforehand about how each show would be divided between night one and night two?  And remember how the look and feel of the two shows would be so much different?  BS.  It's still the same tired old radio hits they've been banging out at concerts for thirty some years.  YAWN!  Please, U2, take some lessons from Bruce Springsteen and try to put on a new show every night.

Oh my God. Have you ever looked at a Bruce Springsteen setlist? And as we discussed yesterday, yes, Bono and Adam hinted at different nights 1 and 2, but the fans let their imaginations run away with them.

Bruce Springsteen. Please. I've seen 8 shows; it's the same 45 songs over and over again on a tour. Is each night different? Yes. It's either Working on the Highway or Bobby Jean every night. Big deal. Imagine U2 changing between Elevation and Vertigo and people acting like that's a big thing.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 01:56:25 PM »
This tour is just another example of why you can never trust what comes out of Bono's mouth.  Remember all the hype beforehand about how each show would be divided between night one and night two?  And remember how the look and feel of the two shows would be so much different?  BS.  It's still the same tired old radio hits they've been banging out at concerts for thirty some years.  YAWN!  Please, U2, take some lessons from Bruce Springsteen and try to put on a new show every night.

Oh my God. Have you ever looked at a Bruce Springsteen setlist? And as we discussed yesterday, yes, Bono and Adam hinted at different nights 1 and 2, but the fans let their imaginations run away with them.

Bruce Springsteen. Please. I've seen 8 shows; it's the same 45 songs over and over again on a tour. Is each night different? Yes. It's either Working on the Highway or Bobby Jean every night. Big deal. Imagine U2 changing between Elevation and Vertigo and people acting like that's a big thing.

??? I've seen Springsteen many times and have always had some surprises and almost all the shows were different. On the Wrecking Ball tour he played over 200 different songs. The guy takes audience song requests and at the show I was at took a request for a song the band hadn't played in about 20 years. How much more can he do?

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 02:00:31 PM »

??? I've seen Springsteen many times and have always had some surprises and almost all the shows were different. On the Wrecking Ball tour he played over 200 different songs. The guy takes audience song requests and at the show I was at took a request for a song the band hadn't played in about 20 years. How much more can he do?

Not ignore signs for good songs and instead play dumb covers and Bobby Jean for starters ... :)

Bruce has a deeper catalog than U2, so I hold him to a higher standard. Plus, I just like U2 better, but it annoys me when people compare the two. U2 are not the technically gifted musicians that Bruce and the ESB are, and Bruce does NOT do as good as he could accommodating fans. He's just as guilty as overplaying warhorses as anyone.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 02:05:21 PM »
"U2 are not the technically gifted musicians that Bruce and the ESB are"
This is true. Agree on many other points also.

They can't switch it up like Pearl Jam, and likely never will. Different bands, skill sets & concert presentations.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 02:06:57 PM »

They can't switch it up like Pearl Jam, and likely never will. Different bands, skill sets & concert presentations.

Exactly. The production just doesn't lend itself, and much to LMJ's chagrin, U2 are not going to do a blue jeans and house lights tour.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 02:09:02 PM »

Exactly. The production just doesn't lend itself, and much to LMJ's chagrin, U2 are not going to do a blue jeans and house lights tour.

I would LOVE the latter! They will, however have that opportunity with this KROQ show - completely stripped down & open. I'm totally envious of anyone who'll be lucky enough to go. 

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 02:14:18 PM »

Not ignore signs for good songs and instead play dumb covers and Bobby Jean for starters ... :)

Bruce has a deeper catalog than U2, so I hold him to a higher standard. Plus, I just like U2 better, but it annoys me when people compare the two. U2 are not the technically gifted musicians that Bruce and the ESB are, and Bruce does NOT do as good as he could accommodating fans. He's just as guilty as overplaying warhorses as anyone.

He played 215 songs last tour! He has 2 songs that appear in basically every set, Born to Run and Badlands. I've seen Bruce 6x and he played Bobby Jean at 1 of those shows. How is playing 215 different songs in a tour not enough?

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 02:16:54 PM »
Stepping into the fray here - Aside from the 'warhorse' debate - I think the point is you can't compare the two. U2 will never play 200+ songs during a tour.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 02:18:24 PM »

He played 215 songs last tour! He has 2 songs that appear in basically every set, Born to Run and Badlands. I've seen Bruce 6x and he played Bobby Jean at 1 of those shows. How is playing 215 different songs in a tour not enough?

I think it is deceptive to word it that way. That's just my opinion. People have this impression that anything could happen at any time at any Bruce show, and that's really not the case. Signs for old covers don't interest me. If I want to hear Mustang Sally, I'll go down the street to the bar on Friday night.

Look; he played 215 songs last tour. If you want to look at that number and call it good, I can't argue that point. I am just adding a 'Yeah, BUT ...' in there. Bruce is great; he's just not the be-all and end-all of wild setlists. He still has structure and some songs that he just refuses to not play. Waiting On A Sunny Day for example. :)

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 02:19:31 PM »
Stepping into the fray here - Aside from the 'warhorse' debate - I think the point is you can't compare the two. U2 will never play 200+ songs during a tour.

Nor should they, because again, Bruce's catalog is deeper. Does anyone really want Streets dropped for Bass Trap? No. But as a long-time BruceFan, I would rather hear Tunnel Of Love than Born To Run at this point.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 02:27:19 PM »
So, I was there for both of the first 2 shows.  The band was a bit off on the first night, I think from opening night jitters.  The crowd was good though.

I thought the second night was fantastic; band, crowd and setlist were great.

Believe what he says.

Offline kevc

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 02:30:12 PM »
why does the set list suck! that's cheeky! there's loads of material and I think they find their way over the first few shows, set list is a stake in the ground and they'll drop stuff and replace, drop and replace, personally I'm in the thank you lord they are still performing camp, they don't need to! looking forward to the set lists for the long residencies, I reckon 100% some of the night 4,5,6 will work its way into the set lists for the 2 night cities.

my only complaint is 23-24 songs, would be great to get a couple more 2 1/2 hour show, cant wait for Glasgow!

Offline d.darroch

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 03:02:04 PM »
Come on Saint, do you really think anyone is suggesting that they would "want Streets dropped for Bass Trap"?

No, you can't take too much stock of what Bono has said. Plus his injury has probably put them way behind schedule. But Bono did say that were looking for a "different feel" between the nights. I'm certainly not feeling that, Electric Co. for OOC, doesn't give me this feeling. They're certainly no Bruce Springsteen. But you can look after the casuals, & have shows with a "different feel". Just by rotating the warhorses. This is what I suggested in another thread.

Yeah true, you can't bombard the casuals with deep cuts & b-sides. But U2 has a pretty vast catalogue, with many songs know by casuals. Many of these warhorses feel old for us, so mixing it up & playing these songs on rotation would be nice. Looks like it could happen a bit (I can't believe One wasn't played).

Beautiful Day - One (courageous/crazy to leave either of these out).
WOWY - AIWIY
EBTTRT - The Fly
Pride - NYD
SBS - BTBS
Mysterious Ways - COBL
Angel of Harlem - ISHFWILF
Vertigo - Elevation (please no)
Bad - RTSS

Streets has to stay

I'd still expect more new songs to be played. We haven't heard Volcano yet. I'd like to hear TIWYCRMN, & TCB. I would really like to hear SLABT (though I don't like my chances).

One other thing they could do to change the feel of the show is have 2 sets of graphics for the regular songs (like they did with the AB intermission on 360). Just so these songs felt different between nights (though don't change Cedarwood Rd, it's brilliant).

As for set length, I didn't think it would be extended much. They've got to look after Bono's voice & Larry's back. But if they're going to do a regular length show, then why no opening act?

As for not playing TIWYCRMN, Saint you said they can't play the whole album. Why not? It doesn't have to be all in the one night.

Lastly, the trouble with The Troubles. My favourite song off SoI, I wish it was played every night (though in 2 different slots). A momentum killer? Yeah, possibly. But there's nothing wrong with slowing things down, it just has to be in the right position in the set (which it wasn't first time around). I'd have it just before the encore one night, & closing the next.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 03:12:47 PM by d.darroch »