Author Topic: Set List Sucks - NO IT DOESN'T - I DO!  (Read 18041 times)

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
Re: Set List Sucks - NO IT DOESN'T - I DO!
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2015, 07:38:01 PM »
Maybe at the KROQ... !

Offline Henderson7

• Babyface
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2015, 07:44:55 PM »
Until you go and see the show and see all the production that's behind it, you won't understand why the change it up every night thing isn't possible.

I'm sure as they get really moving they might make more than a change or two a night but this is going to be the set and as others have said, I was there for the first 2 nights, the hits are what got people up dancing and singing.

Offline ehtaerb

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2015, 08:28:55 PM »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Until you go and see the show and see all the production that's behind it, you won't understand why the change it up every night thing isn't possible.

I'm sure as they get really moving they might make more than a change or two a night but this is going to be the set and as others have said, I was there for the first 2 nights, the hits are what got people up dancing and singing.

Well said

Just to add to the above, I have been going to see U2 live for 25 years & in my opinion seeing them live is more than just the music, it's about the staging, the presentation, the lighting - sure they scale up and down but as as Larry once infamously said "it's a musical journey"

The changes will come but they will be carefully considered and added in when the band deems it right for the overall presentation of the performance - until that time just enjoy what the guys are doing

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2015, 08:37:27 PM »
Just seen video footage of Bono saying the crystal ballroom will probably be played later in the tour, so I take back my above criticism and suggest they are just warming up so far. Maybe more rarities will be played later in the tour, and bono's accident has had a major effect on their plans.

Here's hoping anyway. I was really looking forward to hearing playboy mansion and one step closer, as well as All of the new stuff at some stage. It still might happen. They did mention they had rehearsed 40 odd songs, so let's see.

Sigh.  We're only completed show number 4.

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2015, 08:38:21 PM »
Dear U2,

I'm not going to tell you anything you don't already know.  Play the best show you can.  Don't listen to the haters. I know you prepare each set list for the benefit of the 20,000 + at each show and not the couple of dozen that are following each show online and just want to "pop" at some rarity getting played. 

You've been doing this for a long time and you are very successful at it.  I'm looking forward to seeing you guys perform in Chicago, and I know I will enjoy every minute of it, regardless of how many obscure songs are in the set list.

Thank you,

Amen.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2015, 10:50:45 PM »
Look, U2 could play this set:

Zooropa
This is Where You Can Reach Me Now
Do You Feel Loved
The Crystal Ballroom
Electrical Storm
Fire
Dirty Day
So Cruel
A Man and a Woman
Babyface
Your Blue Room
Window in the Skies
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight
Boy Falls From the Sky
Please
Last Night On Earth
Acrobat
Daddy's Gonna Pay for Your Crashed Car
Lucifer's Hands
Volcano
One Step Closer
No Line On the Horizon
Magnificent

And the 17 or so super fans like us in the arena would go nuts. But the other 15000-20000 would be bored, confused and very disappointed.
That's one hell of a setlist right there.. They should advertise that setlist and do a theater tour.  I bet all the casuals would b**** cause they couldn't get in.

AND tickets would be going for $2,500 a pop with scalpers. And idiots would pay. And THEN complain about the lack of hits. :)

Offline andyc2111

• Babyface
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2015, 11:05:03 PM »
U2 have a massive, obsessive following now - probably more than any other band. I would say that at least 50-60% of a U2 concert audience would know tracks like Acrobat, Exit or Lemon. I'm not saying don't play the hits - but mix it up a bit. Every tour we get the same hit songs, the new songs and then 1 or 2 rarities.

They could quite easily divide a setlists to contain 7-8 songs, 6-7 hits and the 6-7 rarities and then rotate them all.

I love Pearl Jam too, and even though I get why U2 couldn't change and randomise the setlists the way PJ do (because of production etc), PJ have that mentality of changing up the hits they play - 1 night they will play Jeremy the next night Daughter etc - and the atmosphere at a PJ show is fantastic and doesn't suffer because the audience hasn't heard Black or Even Flow.

U2 are unfortunately far too conservative when they tour - I was hoping this tour would be different, and still hope that it will - but experience tells me otherwise.

Offline andyc2111

• Babyface
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2015, 12:39:00 AM »
Dear U2,

I became a fan of yours because you were boundary pushers who constantly reinvented yourselves while making badass music. When everyone expected you to keep on watering the Joshua Tree, you chopped it down and decided to cart a TV station around the world. After that, you put on the craziest mixed-media Pop Art exhibition I've ever seen. Rarely do bands get carte blanche and rarely do they use their carte blanche to do such awesome things. You weren't afraid to take risks that might alienate people or hurt the bottom line. Nothing you did felt focus-grouped or overly calculated. You were always dreaming it up again, and I was always grateful that you shared those dreams with the rest of us.

But I gotta say... lately being a fan of yours has been a bit of a bummer. Each tour it seems you abandon more of the songs that have continued to have meaning to me and many other fans in favor of the hits that have been bludgeoned to death on adult contemporary radio. It's been a bummer watching my favorite band of all time essentially become integrity-less jukebox that seems more interested in pleasing the casualest of casual fans and the venue's corporate season ticket holders in lieu of their actual fans. It's especially disheartening to watch this happen after you guys all but said that this tour was going to be a rarities tour for the fans.

Look, no one's asking for Bass Trap (okay, maybe a few of us are, but I think we all get why that would be a little weird). We're just asking for slightly deeper cuts. A few songs that haven't been played to death on every mix station the world over. Running to a Stand Still. Gone. Just something to let us know you still "get it" and aren't mindless corporate Jock Jam automatons. Last tour you guys actually did a pretty great job. Stay. The Fly. Zooropa. UF. Miss Sarajevo. It gave me a lot of high hopes for the "rarities tour" to come. Hopes that have long since been dashed.

The funniest part of all this is that people go to concerts expecting not to know most of the songs. People aren't going to boo you if you play a deep cut. In fact, I think they'll see that a good portion of the fans are going nuts and will probably think to themselves, "wow this song is rad. This is clearly something I should check it out." (and honestly, do Stand Still or Acrobat even qualify as "deep cuts??" Everyone of a certain age owns AB or JT. People who hate u2 know those songs!).

Amen

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2015, 01:35:27 AM »
Good to have a set list thread.

lucas.homem

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2015, 02:15:26 AM »
Dear U2,

I became a fan of yours because you were boundary pushers who constantly reinvented yourselves while making badass music. When everyone expected you to keep on watering the Joshua Tree, you chopped it down and decided to cart a TV station around the world. After that, you put on the craziest mixed-media Pop Art exhibition I've ever seen. Rarely do bands get carte blanche and rarely do they use their carte blanche to do such awesome things. You weren't afraid to take risks that might alienate people or hurt the bottom line. Nothing you did felt focus-grouped or overly calculated. You were always dreaming it up again, and I was always grateful that you shared those dreams with the rest of us.

But I gotta say... lately being a fan of yours has been a bit of a bummer. Each tour it seems you abandon more of the songs that have continued to have meaning to me and many other fans in favor of the hits that have been bludgeoned to death on adult contemporary radio. It's been a bummer watching my favorite band of all time essentially become integrity-less jukebox that seems more interested in pleasing the casualest of casual fans and the venue's corporate season ticket holders in lieu of their actual fans. It's especially disheartening to watch this happen after you guys all but said that this tour was going to be a rarities tour for the fans.

Look, no one's asking for Bass Trap (okay, maybe a few of us are, but I think we all get why that would be a little weird). We're just asking for slightly deeper cuts. A few songs that haven't been played to death on every mix station the world over. Running to a Stand Still. Gone. Just something to let us know you still "get it" and aren't mindless corporate Jock Jam automatons. Last tour you guys actually did a pretty great job. Stay. The Fly. Zooropa. UF. Miss Sarajevo. It gave me a lot of high hopes for the "rarities tour" to come. Hopes that have long since been dashed.

The funniest part of all this is that people go to concerts expecting not to know most of the songs. People aren't going to boo you if you play a deep cut. In fact, I think they'll see that a good portion of the fans are going nuts and will probably think to themselves, "wow this song is rad. This is clearly something I should check it out." (and honestly, do Stand Still or Acrobat even qualify as "deep cuts??" Everyone of a certain age owns AB or JT. People who hate u2 know those songs!).

I agree with some of your thoughts, but The Exile said the truth in other topic: "I don't think it's fair to lament the fact that the non-new songs are all hits if you're a fan of ZooTV. That said, I'd prefer this not to be the case, but I totally get that when a third of your set is new stuff, the rest needs to please the crowd."

U2 basically did "greatest hits + new songs" in all those acclaimed tours in times when they had less albums, less hits and more spots for deep cuts from great previous records.

And the problem of deep cuts is that, even if a large part of the crowd knows a rare song, how many fans really like that song and will dig it live? For exemple, U2 is playing Miracle Drug, but I saw a lot of complaints here (and I don't like the song, but, whatever, I'm happy they are playing it). I can only suppose that when people imagine U2 playing deep cuts, people imagine them playing, coincidentally, their favorite song. The classics everybody likes and sings...

But, anyway, I agree the band shouldn't repeat the same setlist of the last tour.

Offline Rik

• Babyface
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2015, 02:17:22 AM »
Dear U2,

As a fan I understand what you are saying. But you know what really "deepens" the experience? A crowd that is getting into the songs and intensely enjoying them. Not a crowd that is more worried about getting the show on cam and shooting the pics back home after each song.

I am not disappointed in the band and the songs they play (I am confident there will be more variety in the setlists as we go along). I am disappointed in the crowd that thinks it is more important to put mediocre quality films on youtube than to really enjoy one of the best rock shows on planet earth.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2015, 03:30:04 AM »
Dear U2,

I'm not going to tell you anything you don't already know.  Play the best show you can.  Don't listen to the haters. I know you prepare each set list for the benefit of the 20,000 + at each show and not the couple of dozen that are following each show online and just want to "pop" at some rarity getting played. 

You've been doing this for a long time and you are very successful at it.  I'm looking forward to seeing you guys perform in Chicago, and I know I will enjoy every minute of it, regardless of how many obscure songs are in the set list.

Thank you,

i'm not a hater, just pointing out that apart from the new songs, the set-list is unadventurous and slightly predictable and boring. we have seen and heard the rest of the set-list a zillion times before. give us something live we can't look up on youtube or previously released dvd's. 2-3 rarities would be great and very welcome. i don't want to see a groundhog day gig again. if you want to settle for u2 on repeat, that's great. i don't. 

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2015, 05:25:58 AM »
And the problem of deep cuts is that, even if a large part of the crowd knows a rare song, how many fans really like that song and will dig it live? For exemple, U2 is playing Miracle Drug, but I saw a lot of complaints here (and I don't like the song, but, whatever, I'm happy they are playing it). I can only suppose that when people imagine U2 playing deep cuts, people imagine them playing, coincidentally, their favorite song. The classics everybody likes and sings...

This. If they played an album track that hasn't been played in 20 years, cool. But does that necessarily mean that all of us would even be able to appreciate it live or even sing along to it when it came down to it? That and everyone is going to have their opinion of what should be played or how many songs should be of whatever background (popular single, new song, 'rarity' live, etc.).

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2015, 07:52:18 AM »
U2 have a massive, obsessive following now - probably more than any other band. I would say that at least 50-60% of a U2 concert audience would know tracks like Acrobat, Exit or Lemon. I'm not saying don't play the hits - but mix it up a bit. Every tour we get the same hit songs, the new songs and then 1 or 2 rarities.

They could quite easily divide a setlists to contain 7-8 songs, 6-7 hits and the 6-7 rarities and then rotate them all.

I love Pearl Jam too, and even though I get why U2 couldn't change and randomise the setlists the way PJ do (because of production etc), PJ have that mentality of changing up the hits they play - 1 night they will play Jeremy the next night Daughter etc - and the atmosphere at a PJ show is fantastic and doesn't suffer because the audience hasn't heard Black or Even Flow.

U2 are unfortunately far too conservative when they tour - I was hoping this tour would be different, and still hope that it will - but experience tells me otherwise.

I think you are way too optimistic. There is no way 50-60 percent of a crowd would know Acrobat. However, I also don't think you have to know every song in order to enjoy yourself at a show. Heck; LISTEN. You might learn something, right? But, people have short attention spans, and any more, I think many people are coming to shows just to say they went.

It's like going to see the big movie; well, everyone else has seen it. I don't read comic books and I have no idea who Thor is, but Avengers has made half a billion dollars, so it MUST be good, and I NEED to go!

So, if they are going to be bored anyway, they might as well treat us, right? :) I think 3-4 rarities would be more in line with your thinking, but I hear you working.

Offline Rayford27

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Your wheels are turning, but you're upside down
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2015, 08:36:50 AM »
U2 tours only about once every 4-5 years, so getting to hear any U2 song live is a rarity in my book.