Author Topic: "I have my hands up, don't shoot"  (Read 6617 times)

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
  • But I can change the world in me... REJOICE
"I have my hands up, don't shoot"
« on: May 21, 2015, 05:18:48 AM »
From Bullet to Hands, when Bono starts this phrase "I have my hands up, don't shoot", and ends with "I am an American", I get this chill down my spine. There is something so powerful about that aspect of that performance. I obviously relate to the Michael Brown Shootings, and the police brutality that is destroying the streets of the states. I now see Hands as an interpretation of the Slaves, their hands built America ... its just how I see it.
I would love, love love it if Bono brings this to a larger scale, and goes on a full gasped well articulated - angry, even - rant that unsettles people and challenges their perceptions. instead of all the corporate stuff they are going on about. There is something special about having a larger than life voice batting for your justice, and speaking for those that can't speak due to discriminate injustices.

Some people have criticized B because of this but, screw that.  I am not an American, but there is a clear, clear, dangerous & systemic problem existing. It always been Bono's calling card if you will from day 1 and I hope he never changes it, and continues to get up, and stand up for the rights of the those who can't fight no more.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 05:23:41 AM by zeeTV »

Offline Tuolumne

• Stateless
Re: "I have my hands up, don't shoot"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 10:24:45 AM »
That's interesting, hadn't thought of the "Hands" part relating to slavery. I guess I have always associated it with immigrants, since most Americans are descended from immigrants. I also associate BTBS with immigrants  from central America who were fleeing often US supported military conflicts. They changed the theme of the video and lyics this tour to images of Wall Street, which makes me think of the economic policies like NAFTA which also undermine Latin American economies and drive current immigration to the US.  But you're right, they do tie in the Ferguson/Baltimore protests. There is a link between how Wall Street banks have systematically undermined the American working class, from red-lining urban neighborhoods to disproportionate police activity.  It's probably hard to find the best mix at rock concert. It's a thin line between engaging and alienating one's audience.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 12:28:12 AM »
NAFTA pack up U.S. Jobs to Latin America, NAFTA undermines Latin Americanjobs and sends them fleeing here...I can't keep up.

Hands Up Don't Shoot was shown to be a myth by the investigation. Really bugs me that people keep talking about it as if it were real.

Offline PopmuzikMofo

• Refugee
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 07:28:06 AM »
Every time I hear him say that I get a lump in my throat and also get teary eyed.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 08:26:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hands Up Don't Shoot was shown to be a myth by the investigation. Really bugs me that people keep talking about it as if it were real.

Now you know how many of us feel about the bible. :-)

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 09:14:51 AM »
I hope they play the full song eventually. They've nailed the segue way and it sounds awesome and quite powerful

Offline PopmuzikMofo

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »
I hope they play the full song eventually. They've nailed the segue way and it sounds awesome and quite powerful
+1

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 01:57:44 PM »

Except that the same investigation found that the Ferguson police department showed *massive* systemic racial bias on a regular basis. So yeah, the specific instance wasn't accurate - but the overall movement obviously was. Unless you genuinely think the protests were just because of one death and nothing wider, in which case, well...

Offline Tuolumne

• Stateless
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 03:10:02 PM »
NAFTA pack up U.S. Jobs to Latin America, NAFTA undermines Latin American jobs and sends them fleeing here...I can't keep up.

NAFTA allowed the US to export agricultural products, such as the primary staple of corn, to Mexico and other Latin American countries, glutting the market and putting thousands of Latin American farmers and farm workers out of jobs, which led to huge rise in immigration to the US.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 03:10:26 PM »
I love him doing the hands up. I am a red, white and blue true American. Everybody needs to treat people better. I personally think poverty and the distribution of wealth are the main problems, but until then, more tolerance and restraint is needed by all. This is a pivotal time in our justice system, and I am praying for training and understanding by all.

A man I use to know would say, 'Everybody wants to do good, but sometimes they may need a little help!'. I liked Jim Connelly (a previous supervisor).

Offline u2beez

• Wanderer
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2015, 06:46:31 PM »

Except that the same investigation found that the Ferguson police department showed *massive* systemic racial bias on a regular basis. So yeah, the specific instance wasn't accurate - but the overall movement obviously was. Unless you genuinely think the protests were just because of one death and nothing wider, in which case, well...

That has nothing to do with anything.  Mr. Brown didn't have his hands up nor said don't shoot and THAT's BEEN PROVEN.  I don't like the way Police have been acting lately, but I also hate the fact that people like to believe whatever they want because the world wide interwebs say it did.  You can't make up lies just because the Police were discriminatory.  In this day people want to believe what they want to believe.  I feel sorry for you and them.  Yesterday Bono handed me a 50k dollar check.  It happened because I just said it on the web.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 08:32:45 PM »
I love Bono but I wish he would make up his mind about America. We have him criticizing the country in one song and then telling us how great it is in another. It goes back to my original complaint about this new segment of Bullet: it's unclear what the real message is and I fear many will take it as anti-police or anti-rich. For a band that makes huge sums of money and walks around with armed security it's hard to take this seriously.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2015, 08:34:22 PM »

That has nothing to do with anything.  Mr. Brown didn't have his hands up nor said don't shoot and THAT's BEEN PROVEN.  I don't like the way Police have been acting lately, but I also hate the fact that people like to believe whatever they want because the world wide interwebs say it did.  You can't make up lies just because the Police were discriminatory.  In this day people want to believe what they want to believe.  I feel sorry for you and them.  Yesterday Bono handed me a 50k dollar check.  It happened because I just said it on the web.

Huh? This only makes sense if you... didn't really understand the protests at all. The police weren't just 'discriminatory'; they practiced massive systematic racism and they really have killed multiple people for racial reasons in just the recent past. It's true that the slogan itself was taken from an incident that was falsely reported, but it caught on not because of that one case but because of the countless others with which it resonated. An anecdote being wrong doesn't remotely discount the data.

I love Bono but I wish he would make up his mind about America. We have him criticizing the country in one song and then telling us how great it is in another.

Isn't that exactly the point? America, like most countries, isn't all good or all bad. It's great for some reasons and bad for others.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 08:40:04 PM »

Huh? This only makes sense if you... didn't really understand the protests at all. The police weren't just 'discriminatory'; they practiced massive systematic racism and they really have killed multiple people for racial reasons in just the recent past. It's true that the slogan itself was taken from an incident that was falsely reported, but it caught on not because of that one case but because of the countless others with which it resonated. An anecdote being wrong doesn't remotely discount the data.

I love Bono but I wish he would make up his mind about America. We have him criticizing the country in one song and then telling us how great it is in another.

Isn't that exactly the point? America, like most countries, isn't all good or all bad. It's great for some reasons and bad for others.

So what about the cops that are now being killed by armed thugs? What about black officers who have shot whites? Or what about the massive black on black and gang violence in cities like Chicago? If you've made up your mind that the police are inherently bad then there's nothing anyone can do to change your mind. When people are threatening cops or looting in the streets then they shouldn't be complaining when force is used.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2015, 08:52:08 PM »
I am a red, white and blue true American.

Is that a college degree? Or some other kind of accreditation? How does one achieve such status?