Author Topic: Best With or Without You in quite awhile? San Jose 2015-05-18  (Read 644 times)

Offline CarpeDiem

• Babyface
Bono seems more energetic in this version of With or Without You in long while imo.  Even during the wails at 2:55 and at 4:35, he doesn't let the audience finish it like he usually does.

And also successfully finishes his falsettos at 3:43.   Although of course still not as great as back in the past in his prime, but still a better effort than I've heard in years.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

closer persective.  Too bad it gets cut off in the end.

U2 - With Or Without You (HD) - San Jose 2, May 19, 2015  Best view of the screen.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:48:18 AM by CarpeDiem »

meximofo

Re: Best With or Without You in quite awhile? San Jose 2015-05-18
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 07:37:04 PM »
I thought the same. Of course, we're not saying is as good as Joshua Tree 3rd leg, but it is quite an improvement from the latter versions, including the first two Vancouver shows. B-man is not going through the motions there.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 07:55:31 PM »
I thought the same. Of course, we're not saying is as good as Joshua Tree 3rd leg, but it is quite an improvement from the latter versions, including the first two Vancouver shows. B-man is not going through the motions there.

Great link & video thanks for sharing.  I'd agree - much better than Vancouver because he's singing through it including the falsetto, & although he did say he had sinusitis in Van & voice problems.  I listen to an old boot I have from 'back in the day' and there's no comparison but that's expected.  I know they do it b/c fans love it - just hear the roar. I've seen it live & every tour & I'd rather see them rotate it in/out for songs he can really nail.

I was fortunate enough to see them do this in 1987. Here's their 1987 Syracuse show - Bono has a sling on his arm in the video - Not to be harsh but big difference: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 08:03:47 PM by p8ru2 »

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 08:00:45 PM »
He's actually singing it with effort now. I really disliked the 360 performances because it turned into a more spoken word type song that just didn't work at all.

But it has been better than the last decade or so.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 12:01:49 AM »
They have played it great the first four shows. But, I am disappointed When he doesn't sing the 'shine like stars (?)' ending. I am sure he'll eventually add it.

Offline Jdelbove

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 07:19:39 AM »
His voice on this tour in general sounds better.  Richer and fuller.  His falsetto also seems to be stronger.  He has sounded amazing in all of the performances of with or without on this tour so far.  Especially when comparing his performances from the last 3 or 4 tours.  We will have to see how he holds up but dare I say this is the best he has sounded in 20 years.   

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 08:08:37 AM »
The ZooTV from Sydney WOWY is the only one I listen to. Just an incredible arrangement, especially what Larry is doing.

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 08:12:42 AM »
Have you heard the Mother and Child Reunion intro to Streets?  San Jose 5/19.   It is drop dead gorgeous, with his voice as beautiful as I've ever heard it. The fact that he can't always hit the notes he used to be able to has led us to some beautiful lower register discoveries.  And it's an absolutely awesome intro to Streets.  Of course, so is Please....

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 09:34:47 AM »
Love Shine like stars outro!  :) (see my link!)  Point Depot is also great You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login 

His voice is definitely improved since Vancouver and he's showing more energy & exuberance. All good signs for progressing with his recovery & dates on the tour. Is is his voice "Amazing" on all four WOWY's, so far? No. I disagree... Definitely not, although SJ shows were better & did put out & sing it, rather than pass it to the audience.

He really hasn't sung WOWY brilliantly for the past 3 tours (over 15 years) and it's the only song I can say that about.  He just can't do it the justice & hit all the notes & sustain them, that convey the tenderness, passion & pain like he used to do.  I find that when it's played every night & he can't hit it or struggles, it really underlines that & pains me more than it pulls heart strings.

It's kinda like trying to squeeze into a stunning dress that doesn't fit well anymore - sometimes it's time to move on to new(er) ones that fit & look just as fabulous. Not that the song is dated whatsoever but his voice just sounds truly "amazing" on so many other songs old & new.  Now, that said, I don't mind that Bono sings it b/c it's so popular & a fave of many ( was mine too) and the band is strong. But please do Stay or AIWIY, & others, bringing out WOWY here & there, not all the time.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:36:52 AM by p8ru2 »