Poll

What's your favorite studio album by U2 and why?

Boy
1 (0.6%)
October
3 (1.9%)
War
2 (1.3%)
The Unforgettable Fire
14 (8.8%)
The Joshua Tree
31 (19.5%)
Rattle & Hum
3 (1.9%)
Achtung Baby
66 (41.5%)
Zooropa
5 (3.1%)
Pop
18 (11.3%)
ATYCLB
5 (3.1%)
HTDAAB
5 (3.1%)
NLOTH
6 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: Poll: Favorite U2 studio album  (Read 9472 times)

Alton Dalton

Poll: Favorite U2 studio album
« on: November 06, 2008, 05:20:31 PM »
For me, Achtung Baby, for its originality, but also that it was released during a pivotal time in my life.

Offline Van the Man Fan

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: Poll: Favorite U2 studio album
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 05:29:19 PM »
TJT.  So much soul and feeling on that record.  Amazing.

Offline julesport

• Holy Joe
  • Free yourself to be yourself...
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 05:56:05 PM »
The Joshua Tree...........so many awe inspiring songs........One Tree Hill; Mothers; Trip; Running ...........the list goes on!

Offline God, Part II

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Rock and roll doggie!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 06:08:07 PM »
THE JOSHUA TREE is the album by which all other rock-and-roll albums, U2's or otherwise, are measured and come up wanting.

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 06:37:01 PM »
Achtung Baby = Best 90s rock album  ;)

Nuff said.

Offline Van the Man Fan

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 07:01:14 PM »
I know AB is probably going to end up winning and it is an amazing, amazing record BUT I think that it can be pigeonholed into a certain time frame.  Besides a few songs, like One, I don't think that all of the songs are timeless.  They're still excellent and amazing but not timeless for me.  TJT is timeless.  I don't know how else to explain it.  D@mn the critics, I love the sincere, hearts on sleeves, earnestness of '80s U2. 

"Ill take an earnest person over a hip person any day, because hip is short term. Earnest is long term."  - Randy Pausch

Maybe that's what I mean by timeless. 

Offline EdgeUK8_my_mind

• Desert Rose
  • I need you to elevate me here
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 08:21:55 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I know AB is probably going to end up winning and it is an amazing, amazing record BUT I think that it can be pigeonholed into a certain time frame.  Besides a few songs, like One, I don't think that all of the songs are timeless.  They're still excellent and amazing but not timeless for me.  TJT is timeless.  I don't know how else to explain it.  D@mn the critics, I love the sincere, hearts on sleeves, earnestness of '80s U2. 

"Ill take an earnest person over a hip person any day, because hip is short term. Earnest is long term."  - Randy Pausch

Maybe that's what I mean by timeless. 

I agree with this and with the earlier post for AB because "it was at a pivotal time in my life".

My vote for JT was because of its earnestness, because it was at a critical time in my life, because it was THE U2 album that really turned me on to the band.  I owned UF before I bought JT, but UF never fully resonated with me until much later.
Also, the depth of the Joshua Tree is absolutely amazing.  Not only are there the widely acclaimed super hits, but also Bullet, IGC, ATTYW, and Exit, which are all amazing (although I prefer the R&H movie version of Exit because you can hear and understand the start and because of the live intensity).  Any other band could have made a career out of the songs on the flip side of the JT (yes, vinyl).

Offline unforgettable fire

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • "Is the world really, really round?" - Larry
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 10:11:52 PM »
I think everyone should know by now that The Unforgettable Fire is my personal choice for a favorite U2 album. It was an album that got U2 out from being a "Sloganeering Arena Rock Band" to a band with a social, spiritual conscience messege which will take them to superstar status with TJT.

But it's safe to say that without the musical risks the band took of maturing and improving themselves, the out of focus nature of the album, and help from Brain Eno and Daniel Lanios, the band wouldn't have gone the direction in they way that they did on TJT. And had it not been for the risk taking of TUF, then AB wouldn't even been considered.

Offline alex.found.pete.the.chop

• Refugee
  • ... in hell with a bottle of milk
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 12:26:17 AM »
I'm the second TUF vote.

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 05:02:59 AM »
Like everyone else I like them all - but October has such a draw (see October worship thread!) It was a such a key time for the band - questions about faith and all that but luckily for all of us they hung in there and we have all these other fantststic albums as well! I just think the angst comes through on the whole recording and through this becomes so powerful - combined with some real heavy Bono lyrics it just keeps me wanting more.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 05:15:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
THE JOSHUA TREE is the album by which all other rock-and-roll albums, U2's or otherwise, are measured and come up wanting.

Second that

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2008, 05:31:20 AM »
This changes regularly with me between "Rattle and Hum", "Joshua Tree", "Achtung Baby" and ATYCLB.
Today, it's the former, which would have made a great studio album, too, if the sole live track included were "Silver And Gold", only on the strength of the studio songs alone. The band's sound is at their hymnical best on this album, and I've always had a thing going for the blues, which is why this is probably my favourite.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2008, 12:00:24 PM »
Pop

It's U2 being so non-U2 yet still being U2.... ???

That's probably the best explanation I can give. But, yeah, Pop has some great songs on it.....Mofo, Staring At The Sun, Please....ummm basically the whole album's great.

It's just too bad U2 doesn't realize the masterpiece they created.

InThisHeartland

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 12:37:18 PM »
I absolutely love Boy. it is up there with JT and AB for me. i'm curious to see if anyone else votes for it.

Offline StrongGirl

• Genius of Compression
  • On BLS I heard the sound of an angel
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2008, 01:53:48 PM »
Boy is a great one, so is War. They are all so good but if I had to answer this one, I keep coming back to October.  There is just something about it that gets to me.  I'm new here and I didn't notice a War worship thread.  Did I miss it?  I just wanted to add that one of the things I love about that one is Kid Creole's Coconut girls on the backup vocals!  They sound great with U2.