Poll

What's your favorite studio album by U2 and why?

Boy
1 (0.6%)
October
3 (1.9%)
War
2 (1.3%)
The Unforgettable Fire
14 (8.8%)
The Joshua Tree
31 (19.5%)
Rattle & Hum
3 (1.9%)
Achtung Baby
66 (41.5%)
Zooropa
5 (3.1%)
Pop
18 (11.3%)
ATYCLB
5 (3.1%)
HTDAAB
5 (3.1%)
NLOTH
6 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: Poll: Favorite U2 studio album  (Read 9509 times)

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
Re: Poll: Favorite U2 studio album
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2009, 09:21:13 AM »
Every poll I've ever seen conducted on any U2 forum always has almost the same results:

Solid 1 and 2: AB and JT

Fighting 3 and 4: TUF and Pop

Battling it out for the wooden spoon: HTDAAB and October

Offline ForeverDelayed

• Stateless
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2009, 10:24:55 PM »
This is actually easier than the "worst album" one... I'll go with:

1. Achtung Baby
2. The Unforgetable Fire
3. The Joshua Tree
4. Zooropa
5. October

Put that in yer pipe and smoke it.

Offline DaveB

• Babyface
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2009, 07:21:07 PM »
My favorite U2 album is Achtung Baby.  I've probably listened to it 1000 times and still love it.  Inspiring, challenging, daring, exciting, meaningful...the adjectives go on and on. Simply their best moment. 

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2009, 08:11:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My favorite U2 album is Achtung Baby.  I've probably listened to it 1000 times and still love it.  Inspiring, challenging, daring, exciting, meaningful...the adjectives go on and on. Simply their best moment. 

It's weird, i've always had JT as my #1, with AB and UF fighting out for #2 with Pop in 4.

I played AB recently and you know what ? It sounded dated and nowhere near as "great" as i've always had it ranked. Maybe it's because the production is so bad, but it didn't quite grab me the same way. Pop on th eother hand still sounds fresh and exciting. Maybe I need to find a vinyl AB.

Offline Kiopelus

• Babyface
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2009, 04:51:37 AM »

Achtung Baby is their most complete album.   Joshua Tree is runner up by a bit.  Honestly Achtung baby is not only their best album within U2.  But perhaps the greatest album of all time.  Its just so remarkably complete.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2009, 11:18:04 AM »
1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. The Joshua Tree
3. NLOTH
4. Achtung Baby

That's my current thinking, it tends to shift quite a lot. I will say that the first three albums have a really refreshing rawness about them; an outpouring of emotion and passion, everything on the surface. That's both their strength and their weakness; it makes them brilliant, but it means they lack a lot of the more refined, polished feel of the other albums and they don't (WITH some exceptions) have as much variety and depth as a lot of the later stuff.

Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree are the two albums which I'd say have no weak links- there's honestly not a single song on either of them which I dislike, though there is, as always, a range in qualities. But TUF has four absolutely phenomenal tracks which push it to number one in my view, Joshua Tree still has the best opening of any album ever (The first five tracks, one after the other- BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM!) and NLOTH is another album which is really, really strong all-round and has a few stand-out tunes.  After the top four, it all becomes blurred- probably ATYCLB, HTDAAB, Pop and War all vying to be around there.