Poll

What's your favorite studio album by U2 and why?

Boy
1 (0.6%)
October
3 (1.9%)
War
2 (1.3%)
The Unforgettable Fire
14 (8.8%)
The Joshua Tree
31 (19.5%)
Rattle & Hum
3 (1.9%)
Achtung Baby
66 (41.5%)
Zooropa
5 (3.1%)
Pop
18 (11.3%)
ATYCLB
5 (3.1%)
HTDAAB
5 (3.1%)
NLOTH
6 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 138

Author Topic: Poll: Favorite U2 studio album  (Read 9504 times)

joegtheog

Re: Poll: Favorite U2 studio album
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2009, 12:19:54 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

11. All That You Should Have Left Behind (subpar)
12. How to Dismantle a Reputation (subpar)

Ouch!  That's harsh.  Personally, I REALLY liked both of these albums.  For me, they were more "listenable" than The Unforgettable Fire, October, and Zooropa.  I'd place them in the middle of the U2 album rankings.  For the record, I believe that TUF, October, and Zooropa were all very good albums but IMO they were not as good as ATYCLB and HTDAAB.  I realize that this isn't the popular viewpoint on these message boards since it has become en vogue to criticize these 2 albums recently, but I really think that these 2 albums have allowed U2 to gain a larger fan base and have given them the determination to expand their "Horizons" on their most recent album.

can't just say they dont like those two albums, has to be a catchy twist of the album title to drive the point home.  Kinda like the Forgettable Fire.

Offline DrDoom171

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2009, 12:26:13 PM »

Ouch!  That's harsh.  Personally, I REALLY liked both of these albums.  For me, they were more "listenable" than The Unforgettable Fire, October, and Zooropa.  I'd place them in the middle of the U2 album rankings.  For the record, I believe that TUF, October, and Zooropa were all very good albums but IMO they were not as good as ATYCLB and HTDAAB.  I realize that this isn't the popular viewpoint on these message boards since it has become en vogue to criticize these 2 albums recently, but I really think that these 2 albums have allowed U2 to gain a larger fan base and have given them the determination to expand their "Horizons" on their most recent album.

can't just say they dont like those two albums, has to be a catchy twist of the album title to drive the point home.  Kinda like the Forgettable Fire.

Yes, I caught that little bit from the Sceptic "Tank" Prophet.  ;)

dentalboy

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2009, 12:55:38 PM »
Has to be Pop by a good distance. I think it was a lot better received in the UK and Europe and I think it has some of bono's best lyrics and I may be putting myself out on aledge here some of the best music. I think it holds together fantasticly as a complete album and I still get so much enjoyment listening to it. I really wish the band weren't so down on it and I actually much prefered the album mixes over the new versions on the second best of's where I felt they were redone to appease the American market.

Offline SaintMike

• Refugee
  • Sponsored by Blackberry!
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2009, 11:21:14 PM »
I hate that I can't vote for Pop because it deserves it.  But Achtung Baby is just too damn good, and Pop has a few fatal flaws like the lyrics in Playboy Mansion and Wake up Dead Man.

Offline Pop Rules

• Babyface
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2009, 11:33:42 PM »
Has to be Pop by a good distance. I think it was a lot better received in the UK and Europe and I think it has some of bono's best lyrics and I may be putting myself out on aledge here some of the best music. I think it holds together fantasticly as a complete album and I still get so much enjoyment listening to it. I really wish the band weren't so down on it and I actually much prefered the album mixes over the new versions on the second best of's where I felt they were redone to appease the American market.

Check the username.

(I voted for Achtung Baby though, sorry).

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2009, 07:20:57 AM »

Haha, sorry, couldn't resist it. By the way, Forgettable Fire is a good one too. Even though it's totally unfair...

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2009, 07:26:47 AM »

I agree with you about the listenability and larger fan base comments... It's just that for me those albums are not the real U2. The real U2 for me is a band with both a restless spirit and a universal ambition. It's the tension between these apparently opposed characteristics that makes their greatness. Remove the restless spirit from them and they become an ordinary band...

Also, I would be able to embrace an album full of conventional 3 minute pop songs if only these songs were really good. But most of the stuff on ATYCLB and HTDAAB are not even that catchy...

Offline PictureInGrey

• Stateless
  • Restart and reboot yourself.
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2009, 11:47:25 AM »
I'm a Pop Tart. There's just so much darkness in those lyrics, and you can really listen to the album as a whole. It's more than a bunch of songs, and, well... I hold this album close to my heart.

Offline drummer120

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Always wear a safety belt!
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2009, 05:48:15 PM »
JT.

Offline Darkstar

• Refugee
  • Shall we go, you and I while we can?
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2009, 10:48:45 PM »
So many great U2 recordings, and I can justify anyone of them as a choice, but for me, one reigns supreme.

The Joshua Tree

For me, there is no other recording that can match the opening five songs on TJT, plus it has the greatest album/concert opener ever and U2's greatest song "Streets". If for no other reason, "Streets" makes TJT U2's greatest recording, the fact that what follows it never lets up makes it, for me, easily U2's greatest work.

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2009, 03:18:56 AM »
The Unforgettable Fire, it's U2's masterpiece.

By the way, a complete ranking of their studio albums would go as this:

1. The Unforgettable Fire

2. The Joshua Tree (very good)
3. Achtung Baby
4. Boy
5. Zooropa

6. Pop (good)

7. War (good but with flaws)
8. October
9. No Line on the Horizon (it's still a bit soon to rank it definitely, though)

10. Rattle and Hum (decent)

It's a bit lame to quote oneself, but I just want to update this preference list. NLOTH has now climbed to nr. 7, right after "Pop".

luieu2

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2009, 03:45:46 PM »
i feel their best is Achtung Baby .
But all those other albums to me rate an extremely close second. ;)

Offline hawthorn mccadden

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2009, 03:51:30 PM »

Haha, sorry, couldn't resist it. By the way, Forgettable Fire is a good one too. Even though it's totally unfair...

(Hawthorn reads thread and boils over like Elmer Fudd aggravated by Bugs Bunny)

"Forgettable Fire"...gonna pretend I didn't read that. ( :D)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 04:02:05 PM by hawthorn mccadden »

Offline luv4u2

• Wanderer
  • Sweetheart...you're so cruel
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2009, 08:12:25 PM »
It's really hard for me to choose these days.  I really love more than a few of their albums for different reasons.  I became a fan with The Unforgettable Fire.  So, that album has sentimental reasons for being my favorite.  Plus, that's the album where we hear Bad for the first time.  'Nuff said.  I love The Joshua Tree because it brings back great high school memories for me and that is the first album from my generation that I just thought was the definition of what a perfect album was.  I love Achtung, Baby for when Edge truly WAS on fire and it's the album that got Bono into black leather and Fly shades.  Another perfect album!  I love Zooropa for it's weirdness.  I love All That You Can't Leave Behind for bringing my band back to it's roots and I love this new album for the challenges that they put into it. 

Gun to my head?  The Joshua Tree is probably still my fave.  But the older I get, the harder it is to choose.

Offline malcolm-edge

• Refugee
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2009, 05:53:22 PM »
All That You Cant Leave Behind. Was the album that made me fall for U2. And because it has Kite...