Author Topic: Why won’t U2 change up the set?  (Read 11820 times)

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Why won’t U2 change up the set?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2015, 10:38:45 AM »
It simple, they just care too much (way too much) about being the biggest band in the world.  Springsteen just couldn't care less.  For U2 the setlist is like an apology then reward.  Okay you sat through our new stuff now this is your reward kind of thing and then continue to bang out the hits one right after the other.  Lets face it, I believe in the beginning their intention was to really put on two different types of show with different sets and they just flat out chickened out at the very last minute worrying about being the biggest band in the world and not getting in enough hits and staples as revealed in the new york times.  This is a continuing habit of theirs of consistently second guessing themselves at the last minute and by changing their minds, and I don't care what anyone says,  they misled the fans who brought tickets to multiple show that they would get a different type of show.  Even the Edge said in one interview that you don't have to see both shows but those who do will get two different shows.  What is soo funny looking back when the tour was announced and people were saying from sources in the band that they were going to look back at their whole back catolog and no song was going to be a regular in the set and that included Streets is an absolute joke.  When hell freezes over maybe and they still would be worrying about getting enough hits in.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:40:29 AM by boom boom »

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2015, 11:10:41 AM »
FWIW, U2 have played 32 songs so far in 6 shows. On both 360 and Vertigo at this point they had played 28 songs, on Elevation it was 24. On PopMart it was 22. On ZooTV it was 20.

I agree it would be nice if they showed more variety, but they are doing the best they've ever done so far by historic standards. 

meximofo

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 11:24:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
FWIW, U2 have played 32 songs so far in 6 shows. On both 360 and Vertigo at this point they had played 28 songs, on Elevation it was 24. On PopMart it was 22. On ZooTV it was 20.

I agree it would be nice if they showed more variety, but they are doing the best they've ever done so far by historic standards.
Great call. Nothing like a little perspective.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 11:34:35 AM »
Bruce and U2 are my 2 favorite artists of all time. They have both similarities and differences. They are 2 artists that when at their best pack a huge emotional and spiritual punch not seen often in music. The way they get there is different though.

U2 gave me my best concert ever. Zoo TV arena was the best show I've ever witnessed. One of the great live bands ever at full flight. U2 is not that band anymore though. Bono can't sing like he used to and because of that he doesn't take off like he did in his prime. They still put on a good show, but not an all time great concert like they could in their prime. I know that may not be a popular opinion around here but if I go back and listen to boots from Lovetown or Zoo TV it's pretty obvious. People age, time waits for no one. U2 also have made their concerts as much about the "show" as it is about the music. The show is pretty rigid and doesn't allow for much improvisation. For me U2 are still a good live band, but not an all time great live band like they were in their prime.

Springsteen's shows are all about the music and nothing about the "show". His show touches a wide range of emotions; part house party, part political rally, and part going to church. He's the preacher who wants you off your ass and dancing in the aisles. He'll play anything. Covers, rare b-sides, hits, etc... With a 3 hour show which isn't rigid he has a lot of room to play many different songs. He also has a top notch band behind him who can play anything.

U2 has my all time favorite concert and is my all time favorite band, but if i'm being honest I gotta say that since 2000 Springsteen has put on better concerts. I've seen Bruce 6x since the reunion tour in 2000 and i've seen U2 7x since the Elevation tour. I've enjoyed the Springsteen shows more then the U2 shows. My wife is not much of a fan of either, she only knows the big songs. I took her to 360 and she thought it was a good show and was happy with it. I took her to Springsteen's show in 2012 and she thought it was the best concert she's ever seen, and she only knew 2 songs he played.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2015, 11:38:57 AM »
32 songs, over 6 shows - that makes the rotation of averaging 3-6 randoms per night, plus several not yet played we know have been rehearsed. We'll know a lot more about the shape of the tour and the possibilities after the first of the multiple residencies. I can imagine one of the show they'll throw a total curveball with "Numb" mid-set, for example. Which will be only the second time it's ever been played in the US, and the first time by the whole band. 

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »
No offence to OP, but we should make a new rule that the next thread complaining about setlist results in an automatic ban.

Too many of these for no apparent reason. U2 has done this for DECADES now, they aren't suddenly going to change their ways any time soon.

Offline JStu

• Babyface
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2015, 11:56:09 AM »
And why do we only compare U2 to Springsteen or some of the few artists that change their set lists a lot? If you are a fan of an artist you know what to expect. Other artists are even more rigid. We still get a unique feel at each U2 concert and they put on a great show. Unless you go to 10 plus shows I can't imagine you get let down. And if that's the case, why are you going to show many shows?

Waffles

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2015, 11:56:28 AM »
Why change it? With the troubles and bad, it's perfect!

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2015, 12:01:23 PM »
I can't remember the band saying that they're going for totally different sets on different nights before, so to be honest, the band get what they deserve with this : they offered us something very different between nights #1 and #2 when promoting the tour - now it's not being delivered.

Offline halv

• Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2015, 12:08:48 PM »
I adored the shows in Vancouver but I would give my right arm to see a U2 show that is less rigid and choreographed. The technology used for all of their tours since Zoo TV (other than maybe Vertigo) has to limit what they can do with the set list. I would love to a see an old fashioned back to basics rock show from them. Pearl Jam is a prime example. Every night is a radically different set list. You never know what your going to get so fans, speaking for myself, are more excited to travel from show to show. I went to two back to back shows a few years ago and Pearl Jam played 50 different songs over the two nights. Their simple stage allows this to happen. Not having to be standing at a certain location on the stage because of effects allows more freedom with the set list.  This is my dream U2 show. Simple stage, focus on the song catalog.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2015, 12:13:33 PM »

Can't this be explained more so by a slightly longer set on this Tour? 25 songs rather than 22 or whatever.. I don't have a problem with their set anyway. Over the moon there's no walk on or boots. I predict both will make an appearance sooner or later.

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2015, 12:19:59 PM »
I'm a die hard that has a long list of back catalog stuff I'd love to hear.  But if they dared not do Streets?  Mutiny from the casuals and also from me.  There is absolutely NOTHING like hearing and seeing the opening to Streets.  And there is absolutely nothing like hearing many of the other classics.  I am just happy to go, especially since I get to be in GA the first time and also have a seat on another night.  I count myself as lucky, lucky, lucky, I wish more people would just be grateful to see The Boys live.  One way or the other, it's a killer experience.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2015, 12:48:49 PM »
I've just watched some videos on youtube of some of the songs I couldn't earlier be bothered watching, namely vertigo, pride and I will follow. To my complete surprise, vertigo sounded very raw and, if I'm honest, it's never sounded better. It's changed a little too, for the better. I will follow was roaring too.

The opening segment is full of energy, contradicting what I thought earlier when I said the sparkle was missing. I should have watched the whole show before making a comment like that.

The performance of 'bad' doesn't reach it's previous best, but it's still alright. Ebttrt is the only turkey, which is a shame cos it's a good song.

I was also complaining about the less than adventurous set-list. But at least Bono is making the effort to actually 'sing' most of the songs.

I watched the whole vancouver show turned up and large on the big screen and the band are generally roaring. Bullet the blue sky is my song of the show so fair, it is ferociously good. I take back some of my negative comments surrounding the tour I've made on this site. Even wlctt sounded good!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 12:58:04 PM by miami »

Offline RunningtoStandstill (The League of Extraordinary BonoPeople)

• Airborne Ranger
  • There is no end to love.
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2015, 12:53:56 PM »
Just to throw my two cents in:

- U2 enjoy stability in set lists before they change them. That's why we've only seen a few songs getting switched out here and there so far. Once they're comfortable playing the show, then they'll start changing things.
- there's not a whole lot of songs U2 can just pull off without a rehearsal. Many songs demand a particular guitar or delay setup for edge that aren't something you can just do on the spur of the moment. They're not going to suddenly start playing Acrobat on the E stage without having rehearsed it first.
- Bono can't sing a lot of old songs anymore. And that's just all there is to it. Part of the set list decisions are, no doubt, determined by what he feels comfortable singing...and at the moment, his voice isn't at its best so I think they're playing it safe this early on the tour. But don't expect him to try doing Lemon or Red Hill Mining Town!
- I think the set list will change a lot more between multi-night cities, but only in certain a areas. There seems to be slots set up that are interchangeable. Don't forget, with the visuals and stage there's a degree of rehearsal that is needed for each show. Unlike Springsteen, U2 rely on visuals now to accompany the show and as such cant just drop whole sections in favor of b-side rarities.
- lastly, they've been playing hits at shows since zoo TV. And from having been to several shows on this tour, I can firmly say that One, Beautiful Day, Streets, With or without you, etc ALL got the biggest audience response.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2015, 01:37:24 PM »

Don't try to confuse the issue with mathematical facts. I deserve an all b-sides show