Author Topic: Why won’t U2 change up the set?  (Read 11815 times)

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Why won’t U2 change up the set?
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2015, 02:08:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I adored the shows in Vancouver but I would give my right arm to see a U2 show that is less rigid and choreographed. The technology used for all of their tours since Zoo TV (other than maybe Vertigo) has to limit what they can do with the set list. I would love to a see an old fashioned back to basics rock show from them. Pearl Jam is a prime example. Every night is a radically different set list. You never know what your going to get so fans, speaking for myself, are more excited to travel from show to show. I went to two back to back shows a few years ago and Pearl Jam played 50 different songs over the two nights. Their simple stage allows this to happen. Not having to be standing at a certain location on the stage because of effects allows more freedom with the set list.  This is my dream U2 show. Simple stage, focus on the song catalog.

Vedder also supposedly forgets lyrics on a semi-frequent basis, which I'm sure has nothing to do with playing six new songs and different songs every single night...

- there's not a whole lot of songs U2 can just pull off without a rehearsal. Many songs demand a particular guitar or delay setup for edge that aren't something you can just do on the spur of the moment. They're not going to suddenly start playing Acrobat on the E stage without having rehearsed it first.

Stuff like One Tree Hill in Chicago back in 2011 and In God's Country in Phoenix show that they can be spontaneous every so often. And yeah, sometimes being a bit rough around the edges performance-wise can be endearing. On a frequent basis every single show though? Well, let's just say that will give reviews and people only seeing one show a bit of a reason to complain.

- Bono can't sing a lot of old songs anymore. And that's just all there is to it. Part of the set list decisions are, no doubt, determined by what he feels comfortable singing...and at the moment, his voice isn't at its best so I think they're playing it safe this early on the tour. But don't expect him to try doing Lemon or Red Hill Mining Town!

I suspect that this is why stuff like ASOH and God Part II isn't performed these days. Some fans have said he's claimed that as well.

macfoley

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2015, 03:58:05 PM »
U2 have never really dramatically changed their set lists. They have moved songs around to makes the sets run differently on the Lovetown tour, but more so, their set lists have staple songs, always have, always will.

Why are people surprised they are not doing so? They find it hard enough to even play the staples at times, I don't expect them to just bring out a load of deep cuts just off the hook either. They are not that type of band. And if they did, they probably need to rehearse that one song for a period of time.

U2 are not a set listing changing band on a nightly basis, get used to it.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2015, 04:08:12 PM »
U2 have never really dramatically changed their set lists. They have moved songs around to makes the sets run differently on the Lovetown tour, but more so, their set lists have staple songs, always have, always will.

Why are people surprised they are not doing so?

“We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two” - Bono.

That's why. Because Bono said “We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two”.

The band have never said that before. Never. That's why. Saying something like “We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two” means exactly that. Different songs, and lots of them, between night one and night two.

In case you didn't get it, here it is again, let there be no ambiguity about that : “We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two”.

macfoley

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2015, 04:11:11 PM »

Why are people surprised they are not doing so?

“We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two” - Bono.

That's why. Because Bono said “We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two”.

The band have never said that before. Never. That's why. Saying something like “We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two” means exactly that. Different songs, and lots of them, between night one and night two.

In case you didn't get it, here it is again, let there be no ambiguity about that : “We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two”.

Bono also said Songs of Ascent would be released during the promotion of No Line. Bono says a lot of stuff that should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Yeah it is a nice idea about what Bono said about set lists, but it hasn't turned out that way. Is it really THAT much of a problem?

meximofo

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2015, 04:12:57 PM »
That "different feeling" can be anything. It could mean one "electric" feeling and another "acoustic" feeling, for the same songs. Here a lot of fans went with that theory. Besides, "we are going to try" is not the same thing as "we will have for sure, 100% guaranteed". Just saying.

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2015, 04:13:22 PM »
No it's not that big of a problem.

People just feel entitled.

It's kind of pathetic really.

macfoley

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2015, 04:16:49 PM »
That "different feeling" can be anything. It could mean one "electric" feeling and another "acoustic" feeling, for the same songs. Here a lot of fans went with that theory. Besides, "we are going to try" is not the same thing as "we will have for sure, 100% guaranteed". Just saying.

Plus there could be other reasons. Bono being out for so long means they could not rehearse as intensely those other songs we don't know about, there fore closer the time, going with a set that they feel comfortable playing.

Also Bono not being able to play guitar could be another reason as to why they are not playing certain songs either.

Fear of seeing ticket sales not fly out the window could have caused a little shock, therefore calling in the big U2 songs to get more numbers through the door.

All just my speculation this is.

Offline EvryPoetisAthief

• Stateless
  • Throw a rock in the air, you'll hit someone guilty
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2015, 07:14:34 PM »
I'm just grateful that this band is still around making great music after being together with their original line up for almost 40 years. I try not to make comparisons with other bands or question their motives. Everyone needs to keep in mind that this tour is still in its infancy and there will surprises yet to come. When I first saw U2 during the War Tour there was a lot more spontaneity during their shows. Things were less choreographed and planned and it was much easier to "call an audible" (a reference to American football) Since Zoo TV, the setlist was methodically choreographed and planned which resulted in a more "structured" setlist as opposed to a more variable one. This is U2 and I would not question a formula they have have used that has given them unprecedented longevity and success.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 07:16:05 PM by EvryPoetisAthief »

meximofo

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2015, 07:15:30 PM »
Their setlists have always been rigid since the Boy tour, visuals or not. For the War or TUF tour, the setlist had very little variation. Only exception was Lovetown, and the 3rd leg of the JT tour.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2015, 07:20:39 PM »

Was it Adam that talked about the band considering an "acoustic" show around that time too? And some fans were up in arms about that idea as well, saying they didn't want an acoustic show or didn't know which show would be what when they bought tickets.

Which kind of brings it back to the original point... no one knew for sure what they were doing, what the stage would like, etc. The band probably didn't know that much for sure at the time either.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2015, 07:36:02 PM »
On another thread, a few fans discussed how Bruce Springsteen frequently changes up the set to play rarities. Here are a few reasons why I think U2 can’t do what he does.

(1) Relevance – Springsteen hasn’t released an album in a while with songs popular enough to regularly include on setlists. This isn’t the case with U2. Newer albums like ATYCLB and HTDAAB produced 2-3 songs each that have become necessities at live shows. I suspect SOI will follow this trend in a way that NLOTH did not, leaving even less room for rarities.

(2) Musicianship – Springsteen can change about 1/3 of the set each night without major flubs. He can also very easily change things up mid-show. U2 can't seem to do this. A couple nights ago they struggled to play a couple verses of IGC and then ST. They even messed up OOC in San Jose.

(3) Band Democracy – There may be disagreement among the members of U2 over the role of rarities in concert. Even if Edge wants to play ASOH, he still has to convince three other band members with equal votes. If Springsteen wants to play rarities he doesn’t have to convince anybody.

(4) Show Length – Springsteen’s latest shows have been over one-hour longer than the average U2 show. This gives him a lot more room to throw in a few obscure songs.

(5) Set Rigidity – Springsteen is fine leaving out hits like Born in the U.S.A. and Thunder Road. As mentioned, there are a lot fewer guaranteed songs at a Springsteen show, giving him room to change up the set. U2 has never been about playing rarities live. Rather, they give the majority of concertgoers what they want: the hits.

So, why not play Acrobat? Beats me.

I really could care less what Bruce Springsteen does, I don't want to offend Bruce fans but  3hrs plus of his music would put me to sleep IMHO it all sounds the same.
I'd take 45 minutes of U2 over 3 hrs of Bruce any day.
U2 plays what they want to play period.

LemonadeSupernova

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2015, 07:41:19 PM »
Their setlists have always been rigid since the Boy tour, visuals or not. For the War or TUF tour, the setlist had very little variation. Only exception was Lovetown, and the 3rd leg of the JT tour.

Semi-rigid.

meximofo

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2015, 07:45:07 PM »

Semi-rigid.
Way more rigid than it is now. Check 2 or 3 consecutive War, TUF or ZooTV shows. The setlists are completely identical, even playing in the same venue!

LemonadeSupernova

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2015, 07:49:12 PM »

Semi-rigid.
Way more rigid than it is now. Check 2 or 3 consecutive War, TUF or ZooTV shows. The setlists are completely identical, even playing in the same venue!

Touring jukeboxes tend to be malleable like on Lovetown.

Offline Bloodbuzz459

• Babyface
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2015, 05:30:01 AM »
I thought they might have kept the big hits in there but changed them frequently...for example alternate between Beautiful Day and Elevation, Mysterious Ways and The Fly, All I Want Is You and Sweetest Thing etc.

Obviously WOWY, Street etc will be played every night but most of the other hits could be alternated to keep things fresh and get more of the hits we haven't heard oftern in the setlist a little more while keeping space for one or two real rarities.

I think the hits are just more static than expected I thought there would be a constant rotation of them atleast.