Author Topic: Why won’t U2 change up the set?  (Read 11817 times)

Offline zeeTV

• Numb
  • But I can change the world in me... REJOICE
Re: Why won’t U2 change up the set?
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2015, 05:32:57 AM »
They Obviously Just Waiting for the Change Up To Happen On Australian Soil.  8)

Offline Bloodbuzz459

• Babyface
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2015, 05:38:32 AM »
It doesnt concern me too much, I'm taking my girlfriend to London for two nights and she has never seen them before so while I'm sick of hearing some of the usual stuff it will all be new to here.

There are just a few hits I've never heard live I thought (or hope) they might rotate the set enough so they came up. (The Fly, Stay etc.)

I'd love to hear Electrical Storm but I'm not optimistic  :P

iehomecoming

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2015, 08:50:20 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
U2 have never really dramatically changed their set lists. They have moved songs around to makes the sets run differently on the Lovetown tour, but more so, their set lists have staple songs, always have, always will.

Why are people surprised they are not doing so?

“We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two” - Bono.

That's why. Because Bono said “We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two”.

The band have never said that before. Never. That's why. Saying something like “We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two” means exactly that. Different songs, and lots of them, between night one and night two.

In case you didn't get it, here it is again, let there be no ambiguity about that : “We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two”.

This is actually an excellent point, and rather than the usual Bono hype, it was backed up by the fact that tour dates were booked in pairs.

It wasn't until well AFTER tickets were sold that they backed off that point and added single dates, so yeah people who were expecting that have every right to be a bit miffed if that's why they bought back to back nights.

I have back to back and if the only changes from night 1 to night 2 are trading in 4 or 5 worn out staples for another set of worn out staples then you can count me in that camp.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2015, 09:23:56 AM »
Why should U2 have to change their set list every night when the majority of people will only see them once on the tour ... If you are bored of the set list then you are probably going to too many shows

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2015, 09:36:04 AM »
“We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two” - Bono.

That's why. Because Bono said “We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two”.

The band have never said that before. Never. That's why. Saying something like “We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two” means exactly that. Different songs, and lots of them, between night one and night two.

In case you didn't get it, here it is again, let there be no ambiguity about that : “We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two”.

This is actually an excellent point, and rather than the usual Bono hype, it was backed up by the fact that tour dates were booked in pairs.

It wasn't until well AFTER tickets were sold that they backed off that point and added single dates, so yeah people who were expecting that have every right to be a bit miffed if that's why they bought back to back nights.

I have back to back and if the only changes from night 1 to night 2 are trading in 4 or 5 worn out staples for another set of worn out staples then you can count me in that camp.
[/quote]

I get that to some extent. But besides the fact they were never 100% definitive on what show was going to be exactly and the fact that Bono said "try" rather than "we will", I'm not exactly disappointed in what happened. Changing 4-5 songs a night is already a lot more than some bands out there and, for the most part, I'm going to more than one show so I can see the band play live. Not because I was absolutely dependent on them playing completely different stuff every night.

If people remember correctly too, Adam or someone had said that they were thinking about doing one show electric and one acoustic at some point. People were up in arms at that point as well, since people didn't want to go to an acoustic date or weren't sure which would be what. Even when the tickets went on sale, there was some doubt as to the exact format. Stuff changes. It happens.

Why should U2 have to change their set list every night when the majority of people will only see them once on the tour ...

So the band has hipster street cred for some people in the fan base? Idk... if it does bother some people enough though, then they can always sell a ticket to one show and just go to the other. Like you said, maybe going to more than one show isn't for some people?

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2015, 02:06:53 PM »
Here's a thought - why not try a night which opens with a genuinely different feel, by reverseing set 1 and set 2,

Bad, Streets, I Will Follow, Out of Control, Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, Beautiful Day, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, The Sweetest Thing, Bullet The Blue Sky, Hands, Pride

And set 2 that opens Every Breaking Wave, Miracle, Mysterious Ways, One, Iris, Cedarwood Road, Song For Someone, Sunday, Raised By Wolves, Until The End Of The World

Invisible, Even Better Than The Real Thing, The Troubles, With Or Without You.

That's probably over the 25 songs, but it also refelects the general structure of the show, but shifts Set 2 to Set 1, and vice versa. There's so many songs in the bands set, why don't they just play around with it a little?

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2015, 04:29:03 PM »
No it's not that big of a problem.

People just feel entitled.

It's kind of pathetic really.

Please, get a grip brother or sister. People aren't feeling entitled here. It's a forum and forums are for healthy dialogue and opinions. Stop disparaging people and dream up an opinion or something interesting to say and start typing. Hopefully, it will be worth reading!! (you've earned the right to be disparaged by the way)

LemonadeSupernova

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2015, 04:31:49 PM »
Sports fans don't get to pick the team so why should U2 fans get to pick the setlist?

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2015, 04:43:38 PM »
Sports fans don't get to pick the team so why should U2 fans get to pick the setlist?

Yeah, but sports fans can shout and swear at their team if they're playing cr*p, can't they? Not saying U2 are playing cr*p, but they are open to criticism like any other group/team which has a fanbase.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2015, 04:46:01 PM »
I wonder if live nation get to pick some of the set list

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2015, 06:09:37 PM »
Anyone that complains of Springsteen's lack of "good" recent material is simply misinformed. Wrecking Ball is an awesome album. He played a ton of it at the show I went to back in November 2012. He also played several songs from High Hopes on the continuation tour, a-la Zooropa. This thread is pretty pointless.

iehomecoming

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2015, 07:49:11 PM »
There is no good analogy in sports for the set list debate. But the "pick the team" one is silly. The team is Bono adam Larry and edge. No one is suggesting choosing someone else.

The "try" thing is lawyerly semantics, there was clear intent to do 2 different shows, plain and simple. the change of heart came later after tickets were for the most part bought. It was probably the ONLY thing that was close to certain about the tour.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 07:52:09 PM by iehomecoming »

LemonadeSupernova

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2015, 07:53:35 PM »

Yeah, but sports fans can shout and swear at their team if they're playing cr*p, can't they? Not saying U2 are playing cr*p, but they are open to criticism like any other group/team which has a fanbase.

There's nothing to stop concert goers shouting "sing us one we f-ing know" at the band.

Offline dagobah

• Wanderer
  • exploring nature in Yellowstone/Grand Teton
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2015, 09:32:43 PM »
On another thread, a few fans discussed how Bruce Springsteen frequently changes up the set to play rarities. Here are a few reasons why I think U2 can’t do what he does.
(1) Relevance . . . .
(2) Musicianship . . . .
(3) Band Democracy . . . . .
(4) Show Length . . . . .
(5) Set Rigidity . . . . .
So, why not play Acrobat? Beats me.
That's a well-written first post.   :)

Because of comments posted by other people, this is the first time I have ever thought about the video screens matching the songs .  Let me make sure I understand this.  Do the video screens have a program that plays videos . . . . . . and those videos relate to each song in the set-list?  And if the set-list is changed too much, does changing the video program become a hassle?  I am trying to understand how it works.

And if there were no videos to deal with, would there be a higher chance of having a more varied set-list?  If U2 played Acrobat or Heartland or Winter or Promenade or Do You Feel Loved and there were no videos . . . . . I would be thrilled !  But my desires are irrelevant because . . . . . musicians, band managers, and concert promoters are convinced the audience wants videos at concerts.  And they also think the audience wants to hear lots of hit songs.

Having written all that, imagine a U2 concert . . . . . with no video screens.  It would be similar to being at a U2 concert between 1980 to 1983.  Just music.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2015, 01:38:35 AM »
The expectation is there will be video, but for the 'unscripted' songs, video isn't hard : just point a camera at each member of the band, and tsick it on the screen with some default effects. It takes about 10 seconds work.