Author Topic: Why won’t U2 change up the set?  (Read 11822 times)

Offline Bloodbuzz459

• Babyface
Re: Why won’t U2 change up the set?
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2015, 05:14:44 AM »
Once I heard there was no support and an intermission I did think the setlist would be longer but nevermind. Infact I was slightly surprised at the level of procution with the giant video screen, I expected a very stipped back approach indoors (Elevation) for the whole Innocence thing and then back to big productions for the inevitable stadium tour next year.

I agree some people are being unrealistic but given the build up and initial billing of the tour I think it is fair that those who bought multiple tickets are a bit concerned/dissapointed.

The tour is called the Innocence & Experience Tour...the date were scheduled in pairs...most members of the band said multiple time each night would atleast have a different feel. It was to a certain degree misleading.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2015, 07:47:21 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Once I heard there was no support and an intermission I did think the setlist would be longer but nevermind. Infact I was slightly surprised at the level of procution with the giant video screen, I expected a very stipped back approach indoors (Elevation) for the whole Innocence thing and then back to big productions for the inevitable stadium tour next year.

I agree some people are being unrealistic but given the build up and initial billing of the tour I think it is fair that those who bought multiple tickets are a bit concerned/dissapointed.

The tour is called the Innocence & Experience Tour...the date were scheduled in pairs...most members of the band said multiple time each night would atleast have a different feel. It was to a certain degree misleading.

I think they gave very serious thought to having two different shows, but in the end, decided there was no way to do it without upsetting everyone in the process.

Diehards at the 'hits' show would be disappointed. Casuals at the 'rare' show would be disappointed. Same thing with acoustic/electric.

They have enough hits that they easily could be rotating those between nights 1-2 and beyond on the longer runs. In my opinion, where they dropped the ball is in playing Real Thing and Mysterious Ways both every night. Play ONE of those every night, and put a rarity in place of the other. There's one spot freed up right there. The Until the End and BTBS slots are HUGE missed opportunities, IMO.

I mean, I Will Follow and SBS are important parts of this show. They are staying in ever night. So, there's two popular songs right off the bat. Streets is going to be played every night. Beautiful Day is going to be played every night. WOWY is in every night. They are playing either One or Still Haven't Found every night. They are playing Desire or Angel every night. Sweetest Thing was a massive hit. That's all anyone can expect. If that's not enough for the casuals, they should have stayed home.

Like I said, rotate M-Ways, Real Thing and maybe another 'hit' in that slot, like a rocker from Achtung Baby or NYD.

That's what, 8-9 'hits.' Add in 6-8 new songs, and the rest, you play fan-favorites. As long as they are up-tempo, I don't think the casuals get bored.

How do you get bored seeing U2 play The Fly, Gone, Dirty Day, Last Night On Earth, Please, Gloria, UnFire, One Tree Hill, Running To Stand Still, etc.?

It comes down to just a few precious slots in the set. Imagine how different this board would be if the following easy changes were made:

Until The End out, Please in.
BTBS out, Dirty Day in.
M-Ways/Real Thing out, Acrobat or Trying To Throw Your Arms in.

It is so easy.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 07:50:15 AM by Saint1322 »

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2015, 08:22:17 AM »
^

great post. it seems the most logical thing to do.

Offline wlomaco

• Stateless
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2015, 08:55:14 AM »
Until The End out, Please in.

No, they can't remove UTEOTW till I see them in Chicago.  But PLEASE do Please!  I would have a seizure!

And this:

How do you get bored seeing U2 play The Fly, Gone, Dirty Day, Last Night On Earth, Please, Gloria, UnFire, One Tree Hill, Running To Stand Still, etc.?

The answer:  You don't.  Ever. 

I'm doing Chicago 1 and 2 and I'm so worried I won't hear either The Fly/Gone or OTH/RTSS.  Now wishing I had waited and gotten tickets on the back end of the Chicago gig, cuz I think the mix up will be greater.  On the other hand, I'll probably hear Bad  8) and that alone will be worth the price of admission. 

But I digress.  I am seeing U2, after all and have NEVER seen them in an arena OR done GA and I'm doing both.  So trying to put this all into perspective.

Offline tydurd

• Babyface
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2015, 10:29:16 AM »

Having written all that, imagine a U2 concert . . . . . with no video screens.  It would be similar to being at a U2 concert between 1980 to 1983.  Just music.

How I wish.

Offline PROJ2823

• Refugee
« Reply #65 on: May 27, 2015, 12:02:08 PM »

The Until the End and BTBS slots are HUGE missed opportunities, IMO.

Maybe UTEOTW could rotate with another song (eg. DGPFYCC), but I would be very dissappointed if BTBS missed another complete tour!
Some songs you want replaced, others want to keep in.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2015, 12:22:52 PM »
I don't think we should read too much into the detail of the 'two nights' thing. We know they wanted them to have a very different feel but it's impossible to know if this meant Acoustic/Electric, Rarities/Hits etc. Frankly I doubt it would be either of those two, because both would probably necessitate more thorough advertisement in advance of ticket sales.

More likely it was just a different selection of hits, new material and rarities each night.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2015, 12:32:53 PM »
My favorite shows this tour have been the shows where they seemed to do something special.

2nd night Vancouver- BAD, When Love comes to Town.
2nd night S.J..- BAD played when not on setlist
1st night Phoenix- BAD, In God's Country

Well, I really like BAD. And, anytime they play New SOI new tunes is special. When they are spontaneous, adrenaline seems to flow through them and the crowd.

Those shows seemed very special to me. But, all the shows were very good! They are playing loud and hard.

LemonadeSupernova

« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2015, 01:05:44 PM »
Maybe they shouldn't feel obligated to playing lots of new songs and instead put together a fabulous show that flows even if that means playing only a few new songs.

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2015, 10:21:25 PM »
“We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two” - Bono.

That's why. Because Bono said “We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two”.

The band have never said that before. Never. That's why. Saying something like “We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two” means exactly that. Different songs, and lots of them, between night one and night two.

In case you didn't get it, here it is again, let there be no ambiguity about that : “We are going to try to have a completely different feeling from night one to night two”.

This is actually an excellent point, and rather than the usual Bono hype, it was backed up by the fact that tour dates were booked in pairs.

It wasn't until well AFTER tickets were sold that they backed off that point and added single dates, so yeah people who were expecting that have every right to be a bit miffed if that's why they bought back to back nights.

I have back to back and if the only changes from night 1 to night 2 are trading in 4 or 5 worn out staples for another set of worn out staples then you can count me in that camp.

I get that to some extent. But besides the fact they were never 100% definitive on what show was going to be exactly and the fact that Bono said "try" rather than "we will", I'm not exactly disappointed in what happened. Changing 4-5 songs a night is already a lot more than some bands out there and, for the most part, I'm going to more than one show so I can see the band play live. Not because I was absolutely dependent on them playing completely different stuff every night.

If people remember correctly too, Adam or someone had said that they were thinking about doing one show electric and one acoustic at some point. People were up in arms at that point as well, since people didn't want to go to an acoustic date or weren't sure which would be what. Even when the tickets went on sale, there was some doubt as to the exact format. Stuff changes. It happens.

Why should U2 have to change their set list every night when the majority of people will only see them once on the tour ...

So the band has hipster street cred for some people in the fan base? Idk... if it does bother some people enough though, then they can always sell a ticket to one show and just go to the other. Like you said, maybe going to more than one show isn't for some people?
[/quote]

Something to consider: the idea of doing a second "acoustic" night was probably changed due to the fact that Bono may never play guitar again. He gets a pass on that one.

Offline BonosTitaniumElbow

• Wanderer
« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2015, 08:41:21 AM »
This is easily the worst setlist in U2 tour history.  It's just awful - theres literally not one "treat" for me other than Even Better Than The Real Thing.

Obviously you're going to get 6 or so huge hits and staples, but the "chosen songs" for this tour like Sweetest Thing, Love Comes to Town, Angel of Harlem, and Invisible are freaking brutal.  Nobody gets excited about those.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2015, 08:51:41 AM »
Maybe they shouldn't feel obligated to playing lots of new songs and instead put together a fabulous show that flows even if that means playing only a few new songs.

The day this happens, there won't be a U2. They have no interest in being a nostalgia band that plays 22 old songs and two new ones that send everyone to the beer or bathroom line. LMJ is still angry they had to drop songs from NLOTH in favor of hits. He said 'it felt like a failure.'

Offline andyc2111

• Babyface
« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2015, 08:58:12 AM »
This is easily the worst setlist in U2 tour history.  It's just awful - theres literally not one "treat" for me other than Even Better Than The Real Thing.

Obviously you're going to get 6 or so huge hits and staples, but the "chosen songs" for this tour like Sweetest Thing, Love Comes to Town, Angel of Harlem, and Invisible are freaking brutal.  Nobody gets excited about those.

This 100%

Offline lemonPOP

• Refugee
  • Love is a temple
« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2015, 09:04:45 AM »

Curious if you have been to the show.  Also when love comes to town was amazing and the crowd sang along was a highlight for me.  The sweetest thing and angle of harlem were fun and created an intimacy that was welcomed.   Phoenix shows didn't need any set list changes except for an additional song to close.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2015, 09:08:08 AM »
On paper the setlist does not look that impressive to diehard fans like us here, but I have to be honest and what I've seen on youtube has been very good.  I never thought I'd want to see Bullet the Blue Sky live again but it is working very well.  The band seem to be really getting into their element in the latest shows.   The informality of the performances on the 2nd stage is a special thing to watch.  The Sweetest Thing and Angel of Harlem are suited to that kind of stage.

My main gripe is Invisible - it's far from a great U2 song and I'd very much like to see that replaced. 

The first half of the set looks fantastic, particularly when Electric Co. is played.  I would like them to change more around after the intermission as many fans, myself included, thought we were buying tickets for 2 different kinds of U2 show when they went on sale.