Author Topic: Why won’t U2 change up the set?  (Read 11810 times)

Offline BonosTitaniumElbow

• Wanderer
Re: Why won’t U2 change up the set?
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2015, 09:42:28 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Maybe they shouldn't feel obligated to playing lots of new songs and instead put together a fabulous show that flows even if that means playing only a few new songs.

The day this happens, there won't be a U2. They have no interest in being a nostalgia band that plays 22 old songs and two new ones that send everyone to the beer or bathroom line. LMJ is still angry they had to drop songs from NLOTH in favor of hits. He said 'it felt like a failure.'

I thought that NLOTH worked well enough, it's just that they played stadiums so it's hard to open with 4 or 5 new tunes in a huge ass stadium and see the place rocking.  That was actually a better "concert" album than this one IMO.  I think that Breathe and NLOTH and Magnificent would have brought the damn house down in Arenas.

• Wanderer
« Reply #76 on: May 28, 2015, 09:44:54 AM »

My main gripe is Invisible - it's far from a great U2 song and I'd very much like to see that replaced. 

At least Invisible is a "new" song that sort of "fits" this era and even this album.  Miracle Drug makes no damn sense, nor does Angel of Harlem.  If you're going to add Love Comes to Town because BB King croaked then please freaking drop Angel of Harlem.  Play something cool from Pop or Achtung or Zooropa instead.  Playing Miracle Drug, Angel of Harlem, and Loves Comes to Town on every show makes me want to pull my hair out - what a waste.

Please and Gone are literally in the top 10 of greatest Live U2 songs of all time.  Please is a top 5 song when properly done (and my personal favorite) and it's so fitting with what's going on in the world today.  It could bring the house down and return Bono and U2 to worldwide relevancy if you matched it with powerful graphics and the band gave it the intensity that it deserves to address fanatical religion.  Please into Streets should close the main set every night.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:49:07 AM by BonosTitaniumElbow »

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2015, 09:53:50 AM »
Personally, I like and am looking forward to Invisible.

I am just offering my thoughts based on what I am seeing on paper. I am going to withhold full judgment until I see my show in Boston.

For example, before I saw a clip of Bono's speech between IWF and Iris, I rolled my eyes that IWF was an every-nighter instead of Out of Control or Electric Co. Now that I have heard the story about Bono's mother, I understand why it is there every night.

Not everything is apparent just from looking at the set.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 10:11:19 AM by Saint1322 »

Offline andyc2111

• Babyface
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2015, 10:30:35 AM »

My main gripe is Invisible - it's far from a great U2 song and I'd very much like to see that replaced. 

At least Invisible is a "new" song that sort of "fits" this era and even this album.  Miracle Drug makes no damn sense, nor does Angel of Harlem.  If you're going to add Love Comes to Town because BB King croaked then please freaking drop Angel of Harlem.  Play something cool from Pop or Achtung or Zooropa instead.  Playing Miracle Drug, Angel of Harlem, and Loves Comes to Town on every show makes me want to pull my hair out - what a waste.

Please and Gone are literally in the top 10 of greatest Live U2 songs of all time.  Please is a top 5 song when properly done (and my personal favorite) and it's so fitting with what's going on in the world today.  It could bring the house down and return Bono and U2 to worldwide relevancy if you matched it with powerful graphics and the band gave it the intensity that it deserves to address fanatical religion.  Please into Streets should close the main set every night.

Again could not agree more.....as I've said several times - new songs, static hits, rotate a couple of hits and 4-5 album tracks and less known songs for the devoted fans (the band could show they appreciate us - rather than cynically play hit after hit to appease the casual fan).

And when they are choosing those 4-5 tracks listen to the fans, you can't tell me that they have never heard of U2requests.....?

They want to make the second set about healing - well they could heal their devoted fanbase by being a bit more creative and select some songs WE want to hear.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2015, 10:52:54 AM »
I seem to be in a minority of 1 in thinking Invisible an awful song by U2's standards!  I would prefer any song of SOI to Invisible at that point in the set.  It's a pity that The Troubles did not seem to work well live...

I guess most people going to these shows would prefer to hear Mysterious Ways, Pride and SBS to Please or Acrobat.  Sadly, I can't see either of those songs fitting the vibe of the show much as they are great songs.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2015, 11:08:27 AM »
And when they are choosing those 4-5 tracks listen to the fans, you can't tell me that they have never heard of U2requests.....?

When did they say they were required to pay attention to that though? Must've missed that news article...

As it is, I know there have been one or two interviewers that have specifically brought up Acrobat with them, so it's not like some of these aren't making it to them. They just don't want to play them.

They want to make the second set about healing - well they could heal their devoted fanbase by being a bit more creative and select some songs WE want to hear.

The problem there is that the songs we want to hear are going to vary from person to person. Look at the comments here alone... some people say this or that song doesn't work, while someone else is calling it a highlight of the night. It's going to be the same thing whether or not the song was a popular single in the first place.

Offline markreed

• Numb
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2015, 11:35:52 AM »
I was hoping they'd really get interesting, and bring back stuff like Numb, Lemon, Discotheque, Please, Wild Horses, Magnificent, Surrender, God Part II. A man can dream.

• Wanderer
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2015, 11:52:02 AM »
I was hoping they'd really get interesting, and bring back stuff like Numb, Lemon, Discotheque, Please, Wild Horses, Magnificent, Surrender, God Part II. A man can dream.

It seems like some people on here say that we'd be unhappy no matter what U2 played, but I really don't think that's true.  When you look at the playlists from ZooTV, Popmart, and All That You Can't Leave behind tours, I'm honestly very happy with all of them.  I also thought the Vertigo tour setlist was okay.  I thought the 360 setlist had something for everyone, and bringing back Ultraviolet and giving it a lot of love with the props and performance was HUGE in placating some of us who didn't love the playlist quite as much.  But there is no "Ultraviolet" for us on this tour to make us say "okay, that was nice of you".  If they had added Acrobat or Please or Gone or Mofo or a really intense version of Love is Blindness I think we'd be okay.  But there's literally nothing.  My 2 favorite U2 albums (Achtung and Pop) are so heavily underrepresented that it's really hard for me to get excited about my two shows.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2015, 11:58:10 AM »

IMO, God Part II is the most embarrassing set of lyrics Bono has ever penned. Weak, weak song, IMO.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2015, 12:08:28 PM »
My 2 favorite U2 albums (Achtung and Pop) are so heavily underrepresented that it's really hard for me to get excited about my two shows.

Pop I can understand, but they've been playing four off of AB somewhat regularly here.

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #85 on: May 28, 2015, 12:49:52 PM »
I - like many on here it seems - am disappointed by the rigidity of the set list thus far, especially in light of Bono's suggestion that there would be a greater mix for this tour. Is it possible that this is partly (or mainly) due to Bono's pretty terrible injuries making the tour rehearsals shorter - and thus relying on fewer songs to choose from (and relying on a few play in their sleep standards)? If so do folk also think the set list will become much more varied as the tour proceeds?

I sincerely hope so as my heart is sinking a little bit about the lack of variety - as fantastic as the tour looks/sounds.

I'm only seeing one show (in London) so it doesn't really effect me but I'll definitely be thinking twice about going to a second or third show unless they do vary it significantly more.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2015, 12:52:55 PM »
I was very pleased with the 360 setlist and they were surprisingly brave considering it was a stadium tour: Unforgettable Fire, Zooropa and Ultraviolet had not been played in a long while and were very welcome to my ears.  But much as I was ecstatic when they played Ultraviolet many in the stadium were less enamoured, clearly not having heard the song before.  Arenas are smaller places so you'd expect a more educated U2 audience to be present and that more risks could be taken.  Playing Out of Control and Electic Co. could be considered risks given how old the songs are now.

I recall at the time of Zoo TV many complaining they had ditched all their early songs (nothing pre-Unforgettable Fire featured until they moved onto stadiums), so it's true fans will never be happy.  And, yes, they are playing 3-4 songs off AB every night so that album is represented better than most. 

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2015, 12:55:33 PM »
I - like many on here it seems - am disappointed by the rigidity of the set list thus far, especially in light of Bono's suggestion that there would be a greater mix for this tour. Is it possible that this is partly (or mainly) due to Bono's pretty terrible injuries making the tour rehearsals shorter - and thus relying on fewer songs to choose from (and relying on a few play in their sleep standards)? If so do folk also think the set list will become much more varied as the tour proceeds?

I sincerely hope so as my heart is sinking a little bit about the lack of variety - as fantastic as the tour looks/sounds.

I'm only seeing one show (in London) so it doesn't really effect me but I'll definitely be thinking twice about going to a second or third show unless they do vary it significantly more.

Yes, the tour was promoted in such a way that there was a strong expectation of two very different sets.  I bought tickets for 2 shows precisely for this reason.  Yes, again, I think this probably got ditched in part due to Bono's accident.  Like you I hope they vary it up more as the tour proceeds.  When they are playing 4-6 nights in one city I rather expect them to start to experiment a bit more.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2015, 01:03:55 PM »
I was very pleased with the 360 setlist and they were surprisingly brave considering it was a stadium tour: Unforgettable Fire, Zooropa and Ultraviolet had not been played in a long while and were very welcome to my ears. 

ME TOO. Highlights of the tour.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2015, 01:55:12 PM »
IMO their priorities for the setlist should be ;

1) Transition into Streets - The current one is terrible terrible terrible. Up there with Pride on Vertigo and Tutu on very early 360 in the ranks of horrendous Streets transitions. This should be one of the best moments of any U2 show and right now it's totally ruined by Bono's speechifying. Hell, don't even change the order; run from COBL into the Mother and Child snippet into Streets and THEN have a speech but for God's sake, do it smoothly and don't ruin all the momentum with a speech first.

2) Ending - This is withdrawn if they stick with "40" but they clearly aren't quite sure how to close the show, and neither One nor ISHF really works in that spot.

3) More SoI - only six songs are regulars from the new album now with the Troubles dropped, and only one in the second set; they don't need an every-night place but it would be nice to see California staying in the rotation mix even once they leave the state, The Troubles appearing at least occasionally and something like Volcano being brought in. It would be cool to have another 'SoI' slot that could be filled by a few songs rotating; none of them need to be every night regulars.

4) Fix some of the other jerky, weird transitions; the EBW / Bullet transition is being messed up because Edge can't go straight from his piano to his guitar that quickly; it's a nice idea but not working in practice. And Bullet / Hands / Pride works thematically but is a total sonic mess. Encore could also use work but that's tied into points 1 and 2 above. No real complaints about the first set on this score; it seems to have had a lot more thought put into it, along with the first 3 song sequence of the second set.

And finally

5) Bring in some more rarities - I mean it's been said enough by now, but really, just one or two rotating in would be nice. The rehearsed 11 O'Clock being added to that early 'Boy' slot would be a great example; WLCTT rotating in occasionally in the second set is also nice. But to me this matters less than getting the basics of the current set right.