Author Topic: U2 use tour to highlight police failure to declassify files on Troubles bombings  (Read 541 times)

surit87

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

"U2 are dedicating a section of their world tour to a campaign calling on the British government to release classified files regarding the 1974 bombings in Dublin and Monaghan by the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF).

The band play a stripped down version of “Sunday Bloody Sunday” towards the end of the first half of the concert. The four band members all march out to the middle of the catwalk lit up in the colors of the Irish flag. Behind them, the screens show photographs of victims of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings interspersed with news broadcasts of the bombings.

They then lead into “Raised by Wolves” a song written about the events of May 17, 1974 when 4 coordinated car bombings, three in Dublin and one in Monaghan, killed 33 civilians, a full-term unborn child, and injured almost 300 people. The bombings are regarded as one of the deadliest attacks of the Troubles.

Although the UVF claimed responsibility in 1993, nobody has ever been charged for the bombings and there have been many credible allegations over the years, some from members of the security forces, that members of the British state security forces helped the UVF carry out the bombings.

Due to pressure placed on the Irish government by a campaign from the victims’ families, they carried out an inquiry under Justice Henry Barron. In 2003, Barron’s report found that the Irish police had not properly investigated the bombings and claimed that it was highly likely members of the British security force were involved in the set-up. There is, however, insufficient evidence to confirm of this involvement because the inquiry was hindered by the British government’s refusal to release key documents regarding the bombings. The victims’ families have campaigned for their release since.

All photos shown are with permission of the victims families, with whom U2 are working with on a campaign to release the classified files."

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
Thank you for the link.  I saw U2 on their last tour and in my city.  They played the album version of Sunday Bloody Sunday.  It sounded fantastic, but it wasn't as profound as this. 

The State of Maryland US, has a lot of "Irish."  Though I would say that 95 % of our families immigrated before the Great Famine.  Maryland welcomed Catholic and Protestants who mostly came from what we call Northern Ireland.  My family did and judging by their occupations, my family tree search, they more than likely lived in Belfast prior to 1800 or so.  Two were soldiers during the War of 1812, serving for the United States.  But, that's another story.

I know very little about the "Troubles" and I think it is a good idea for U2 to bring this forward.  I wonder, it would be more productive in England and Ireland?  My point….it's much different to live through something than to read about it.  A good comparison.  I was growing up during the Vietnam War, saw neighbors and family members who had to serve and what they had to endure.  Than, learning about it in American History class.

I hope for all those who lost loved ones, this will be fairly resolved.    The families deserve answers.  It's just to the audience who is hearing this (Canada and the United States) can not do anything about it.  And for many young folks, this may be the first time.  They have heard of the Troubles, since many of them were not even born.