Author Topic: Guitar players, SOI Tour Question? Spoilers  (Read 1380 times)

Offline U2alwaysforever

• Staring at the Sun
  • "And you can dream, so dream out loud."
Guitar players, SOI Tour Question? Spoilers
« on: June 02, 2015, 11:51:34 PM »
Guitar players, just curious, with only Edge playing, which new and old songs are affected only having one guitar. My musical ears are not as good as they should be as I've not been playing long enough, do they have the usual musicians under the stage at any point playing two guitars? Are any of the SOI songs lacking having only one?

I of course love the show regardless! Just curious.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
Re: Guitar players, SOI Tour Question? Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 12:00:50 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Guitar players, just curious, with only Edge playing, which new and old songs are affected only having one guitar. My musical ears are not as good as they should be as I've not been playing long enough, do they have the usual musicians under the stage at any point playing two guitars? Are any of the SOI songs lacking having only one?

U2 does NOT use other guitar players under the stage where did this ridiculous rumour come from ?
Terry Lawless played some keyboard parts down in the "underworld" and was showed on screen during 360 and that's it !

Offline benpoke

• Refugee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 12:16:18 AM »
There are some extra guitars played, most of them I think are sampled but some might be played live.  A few examples from down the years...

Bullet The Blue Sky - there is a one-chord chime that repeats for every line on the chorus whilst The Edge is playing funkier lines on the bottom E string.

Elevation - they always include the acoustic 12-string guitar part during the bridge while The Edge is playing electric.

One - even when Bono was playing guitar, we heard the "moaning" bluesy guitar from the album version all the way through.

All because Of You - there was an entire acoustic track going on behind The Edge's electric guitar.

Gone - the main riff is a sample; The Edge and Bono just play chords.

So there are certainly other guitar parts going on; whether they're love or recorded is another matter...

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 12:23:18 AM »
Edge pre records guitar parts like everyone else YES but there's NO shadow musicians under the stage.

Waffles

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 12:43:32 AM »
Actually, not sure about this tour but Dallas has helped out. Sometimes, Dallas will be under the stage playing chords underneath edge with a shimmer effect when edge isn't doing it, or even playing acoustic bits in past tours. Daniel lanois did backup acoustic on wild honey live for a show or two. In "this is" Dallas is doing the acoustic track. However, this tour I'm pretty sure it's just edge. In SFS, there is the prerecored acoustic part. That's about it. Bono did a lot more guitar than people think. The reason why ONE is in this new arrangement is to work around where bonos needed. No line on the horizon was largely impacted by Bono and would sound empty without him. But once again for the sake of this tour, it's prerecorded tracks

Offline markt

• Refugee
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 01:19:41 AM »
Edge pre records guitar parts like everyone else YES but there's NO shadow musicians under the stage.

Check the recording of Zoo Station during the ZooTV Outside Broadcast TV special (at approx 6 mins)...

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 03:12:41 AM »

U2 does NOT use other guitar players under the stage where did this ridiculous rumour come from ?
Terry Lawless played some keyboard parts down in the "underworld" and was showed on screen during 360 and that's it !

if you look at the extras dvd for the elevation tour, you see that dallas is slightly under and at the side of the stage helping out with a few songs.

also, on this tour, i have seen from various fan videos on youtube dallas playing guitar during some songs. the vantage points were about halfway up looking down at the side of the stage and you could clearly see dallas under the stage playing some extra chords. i can't remember which tunes they were though.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 07:12:00 AM »
also, on this tour, i have seen from various fan videos on youtube dallas playing guitar during some songs. the vantage points were about halfway up looking down at the side of the stage and you could clearly see dallas under the stage playing some extra chords. i can't remember which tunes they were though.

Playing or possibly getting the guitar ready for the next song (i.e., making sure the guitar's in tune, etc.)?

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 07:27:22 AM »
Personally, I don't think Dallas is in the live mix. SFS is the most noticeable but def prerecorded. Whether they are playing to live or track, timing is of paramount importance.

Offline ehtaerb

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 10:13:40 AM »

Personally, I don't think Dallas is in the live mix. SFS is the most noticeable but def prerecorded. Whether they are playing to live or track, timing is of paramount importance.

I agree

Offline Hype

• Babyface
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 10:38:28 AM »
Not an expert but I am a guitar player and have been to multiple shows going back to Joshua tree tour I do not think Dallas is in the mix.  I have had vantage points and been able to observe him in several shows. My opinion is he is making sure guitars are ready for upcoming songs.  Edge and Dallas have said in interviews that edge likes fresh strings on all guitars the day of the show.  That is a huge undertaking from a restringing and tuning stability point of view.  My take is he is checking the action and tuning right up to the moment each guitar is going on stage, not to mention adjusting guitars coming off stage that will go back in the show.  I have observed Dallas strumming/playing between songs quite often as well.  It has been mentioned several times that Dallas will manipulate edges effects board from offstage during songs when edge moves away from the board on the stage but I do not think he is in the mix.   Edge is the reason I started playing guitar years ago and I have devoted many hours studying his technique, equipment, sound and live performance.  He takes maddeningly simple musical ideas and makes magic with his timing, style and amazing sense of rhythm.

Offline benpoke

• Refugee
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 10:54:34 AM »
Here's Bullet The Blue Sky live in Paris, 1987: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

At about 1:11, The Edge accidentally finishes the chorus early while the rest of the band plays on.  The extra guitar then comes in late for the final note (1:14).  That can't be a pre-record; that's a real guy playing along and getting confused, right there.

I'm not saying it's still the case, but at some point they've had someone playing extra guitar under the stage.

Offline PROJ2823

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 12:32:00 PM »
Here's Bullet The Blue Sky live in Paris, 1987: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

At about 1:11, The Edge accidentally finishes the chorus early while the rest of the band plays on.  The extra guitar then comes in late for the final note (1:14).  That can't be a pre-record; that's a real guy playing along and getting confused, right there.

I'm not saying it's still the case, but at some point they've had someone playing extra guitar under the stage.
I thought that Edge had some kind of pedal with which he could trigger sampled guitar cord, look at about the 2:00.

Offline Hype

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 01:55:44 PM »
That is correct

Offline Hype

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 02:01:11 PM »
I hear what you are talking bout in the video but cant see edge to confirm.  Could just be him picking back up with the song.