Author Topic: Guitar players, SOI Tour Question? Spoilers  (Read 1371 times)

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
Re: Guitar players, SOI Tour Question? Spoilers
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 02:19:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Guitar players, just curious, with only Edge playing, which new and old songs are affected only having one guitar. My musical ears are not as good as they should be as I've not been playing long enough, do they have the usual musicians under the stage at any point playing two guitars? Are any of the SOI songs lacking having only one?

I of course love the show regardless! Just curious.

U2 does NOT use other guitar players under the stage where did this ridiculous rumour come from ?
Terry Lawless played some keyboard parts down in the "underworld" and was showed on screen during 360 and that's it !
It is a rumour, but not ridiculous... if Terry is known to play keyboard under there and definitely some additional guitar parts in the show not being played by edge and if there has been some manipulation of guitar effects  by Dallas when edge moves from the pedals....  this doesn't stack up to be such a ridiculous notion...
I am however of the opinion it's probably backing tracks, but can't be 100% sure like some people as I don't live under the stage like some must.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 02:44:52 PM »
We just don't really know unless Dallas did a video tour of all of the gear.

Offline blackirish

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 03:01:10 PM »
Guitar players, just curious, with only Edge playing, which new and old songs are affected only having one guitar. My musical ears are not as good as they should be as I've not been playing long enough, do they have the usual musicians under the stage at any point playing two guitars? Are any of the SOI songs lacking having only one?

U2 does NOT use other guitar players under the stage where did this ridiculous rumour come from ?
Terry Lawless played some keyboard parts down in the "underworld" and was showed on screen during 360 and that's it !
It is a rumour, but not ridiculous... if Terry is known to play keyboard under there and definitely some additional guitar parts in the show not being played by edge and if there has been some manipulation of guitar effects  by Dallas when edge moves from the pedals....  this doesn't stack up to be such a ridiculous notion...
I am however of the opinion it's probably backing tracks, but can't be 100% sure like some people as I don't live under the stage like some must.

Hi guys,

I hope I'm not overstating the obvious, here...

They've been using tracks for years, not just synth, but guitars as well. Check out any live version of Bullet on the JTree tour: two guitar tracks at the same time on the choruses. As long as Larry is wearing headphones to hear the click track or bar count, he's driving the boat.

Also, Dallas switches sound patches any time Edge is not near a pedal board. In fact, any time you hear anything that changes sound when Edge isn't near his board is Dallas. Wah wah, solo boost, other delays, anything, but I'm fairly certain Dallas is not ever in the mix. I don't think that's his job, and he's got his hands full just being Edge's tech, never mind performing.

Terry is under the stage again playing piano on things, and most likely, extra guitar, if needed, as he's been for the last three (?) tours. Admittedly, this doesn't make much sense to me. If you're gonna use tracks, why would you need him there at all? I'm quite sure they have their reasons...

:)

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 03:04:30 PM »

Hi guys,

I hope I'm not overstating the obvious, here...

They've been using tracks for years, not just synth, but guitars as well. Check out any live version of Bullet on the JTree tour: two guitar tracks at the same time on the choruses. As long as Larry is wearing headphones to hear the click track or bar count, he's driving the boat.

Also, Dallas switches sound patches any time Edge is not near a pedal board. In fact, any time you hear anything that changes sound when Edge isn't near his board is Dallas. Wah wah, solo boost, other delays, anything, but I'm fairly certain Dallas is not ever in the mix. I don't think that's his job, and he's got his hands full just being Edge's tech, never mind performing.

Terry is under the stage again playing piano on things, and most likely, extra guitar, if needed, as he's been for the last three (?) tours. Admittedly, this doesn't make much sense to me. If you're gonna use tracks, why would you need him there at all? I'm quite sure they have their reasons...

:)

A fair assessment.

Offline Parsons

• Child of Grace
  • I've seen love conquer the great divide.
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2015, 07:56:39 PM »
Let's be careful not to start any foolish rumours here DALLAS does NOT play anything during the concerts !
Change effects , guitar strings (etc) YES !
Like already stated earlier U2 like most professional rock groups use live pre recorded
backing tracks for show enhancement.

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2015, 08:55:06 PM »
They now mainly use backing tracks. Dallas & the techs don't play - as noted they assist w/ pedals etc.  Lawless has played keyboards in past in Underworld. Also back in ZOOTV days, Des Broadbery reportedly did keyboards, synth AND guitar if/when needed (Source: Bill Flannigan).

Oh as to reasons in past to use live vs. recorded, is likely more flexibility, spontaneity.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:01:27 PM by p8ru2 »

Offline Basskid

• Staring at the Sun
  • Even the hands of love...
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 09:01:14 PM »
Terry plays keyboards and does programming which as far as during the live show is concerned I think basically means he triggers the tracks, or at least some of them.  I'm almost definite that the little synth fills on EBTTRT are live or at least triggered live because Terry missed them at Glastonbury when he was busy saving his computer from the dancing dj guy.  I would also guess that things like the keys in COBL and Walk On are done live by Terry.  Also the Miracle intro.  Like others have been saying, any guitars are most likely tracks although it isn't completely out of the question that Terry could be playing something too, but that isn't likely for most of the time. 

Offline Smithy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 01:23:05 AM »
To address the original question, a song that I think suffers greatly from having one guitar is California. Really doesn't take off like it does on the album.

Offline philnmarks

• Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2015, 03:27:55 AM »
This may help from, From Elevation tour You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Although Dallas says he does some sounds this is unclear as to if its guitar parts or effects, Pedal set up seems the same from pictures shown on new tour, excuse the pi*s poor quality.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 06:35:50 AM »
Like already stated earlier U2 like most professional rock groups use live pre recorded
backing tracks for show enhancement.

Yes. This.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2015, 07:18:45 AM »
To address the original question, a song that I think suffers greatly from having one guitar is California. Really doesn't take off like it does on the album.
Is there a guitar on California?! All I can hear are just awful synths!! :o Jokes aside, there are indeed a couple of pre-recorded guitars, the only songs that comes to mind are Bullet and SFS (there is not a pre-recorded guitar on Elevation's bridge, just Edge and a tremolo effect), but other than that there are not additional guitar players of some sort, not even Dallas (who does just the fx switching when Edge's not around his pedalboard).